Free 411 Services 1800373341171769 & 41414 unauthorized texting

S

Someone at work told me there was a free directory assistance number [protected]. I called from my cellphone, they asked me for a city, state and business name. There was no disclosure of any obligation to a subscription for using this service. A few minutes after calling, I received a text from 41414 saying, "Congratulations on our subscription to weather forecasts." Keep in mind each text is .15. This first text gave me the option of opting out, which required me to text them back with the word THREE STOP and I went on to explain that I wanted to stop because I have to pay for each text message. The next day I received two texts (duplicates) from 71769 saying, "Sorry your carrier does not support downloads." I then replied, "Each text costs me money, please stop texting me." Which they replied, "Sorry, the keyword does not match up with any services offered by CSW."

Finally I called Tmobile who suggested I sign up for $4.99/month 400 texts and reply with the word STOP in the subject line. I asked if there was any other way because I had not idea that this scam would stop at 400 texts. The rep then suggested I activate Tmobile's free option of blocking ALL texting. That's what I did. The rep also checked to see whether I had been charged a subscription and as of 8/25/08, I had not. I will keep checking. I don't know what happens if I am charged. It's a scam and I too do not know how the FCC let's them get away with this.

Suggestions welcome.

• La
    Lan Sep 04, 2008

Or the easier of the latter which she or he left out is calling [protected] from the phone receiving the unwanted texts and press 1

• Ri
    Richard Wee Nov 10, 2008

I suddenly started getting texts from 41414 I NEVER used any of the services. I have never used free 411 services or called [protected].

I don't care if it is free I HATE spam and I've only sent 3 now 4 text message in 5 years. So where did they get my phone number?

I did text them stop all and they had better hope it stops.

Mary Jun 12, 2009

i have used free 411 many times and i agree with jay and you must listen to all of the prompts. i have never goten data charges or txt messeages. i really dont care itf u hate spam. u seriously did it to yourself because you didnt listen to all promts. So u sir did it to ur self because of idiotism.

cherise miller Jul 30, 2009

I just started getting text from 41414 do not know who they are luckly I called my carrrier atat and sent stop hopefully this will stop someone should sue them for this

• Ne
    NewIphoneUser Aug 11, 2009

I got a new iPhone from the local shop in the Mall, and before I had left the mall they had already sent me 3 spam texts. There is no way I opted in for that, I just bought the phone.

Sounds like a scam to me, and looking at limbo's site and rep, it probably is. "Weather forcasts"? Yeah right. They are probably partnered with AT&T to generate a ton of unsolicited spam texts to increase costs and profit.

• Do
    Dottie 1 Oct 15, 2009

I completely agree. I just used the [protected] for the first time and was not given the option to NOT have the text sent to me with the phone number I was asking for. I guess it's back to the old phone book to get numbers that I need.

• Ro
    rojasri Feb 23, 2010

i tried to use the yahoo messenger free call tircks to anywhere in the world.but i failed to attempt.whenever i type the number18003733411 in yahoo messenger after that i hit the enter button, suddenly www.complainsboard.com opens. plz let me know how to use this service?

• Ze
    zexpart May 18, 2010

I would like to make a free call

• Am
    amjad bhutta Dec 30, 2011

i miss you

• Am
    amc123 Mar 02, 2013

i hate it like the old 411

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices