Frederick Law GroupDebt Settlement Fraud

J Review updated:

Richard Brennan has collected $6788.00 from my checking account over an 18 month period and has never paid one cent to a creditor in my behalf. They do not response to my questions and I have stopped payment to them. They say they cannot help me until I restart their payments. I will not give them any more money at this point. I have received 4 court summons and have 1 judgement against my credit so far. I am very unhappy with their service.

JANET Oct 20, 2008

He took me for over $5600.00. Can you believe after 7 months. he got into my account and took money out this morning. The Attorney General is working on this for me. Has anyone had any luck with getting there money back? Also I cant believe that the Attorney General has not stopped him from practicing law. He is a ###!!

• Wo
    Worried Sick Oct 23, 2008

Dear Janet,

My name is christina and I'm beginning to worry. I started out with Richard Brennan, LLC whose was referred to me by the credit counselling agency from where I'm from. I was told by the CCS that my first two payments were for lawyer fees and then the rest would go to the debt collectors that I owe. Approx 6 months after paying 400.00 a month I get a letter stating he went to Frederick Law Group. I called the CCS and the phone was disconnected. I then called Richard Brennan's office and they said there was nothing they could do and that my case was handed over to Frederick Law Group. So I tried to get hold of them and the only way I can reach them is by e-mail. They have now accumulated 400.00/month for over a year and a half and now I"m worried they are not going to pay the debt collectors. There has to be some way to get out money back and hold this people responsible. Maybe call 20/20. May be there is someone (lawyer) that is honest and can sue this company!!!

• Be
    Beverly Mar 07, 2009

I am agast and worried ...I had no idea, till today, that there could be a problem with these people. Looks like I am not the only one up to my eyes even worse than when I began with them. Any help in dealing with them would be appreciated.

• Cl
    CLH Mar 09, 2009

This is to everyone who worked with Richard Brennan and the Frederick Law Group. Richard Brennan IS NO LONGER THERE! I have read every single complaint on this man and all of the issues mirror my issues as well. I am in the midst of filing a lawsuit against him and the Firm and he leaves! Now what do we all do? I have retained another attorney and will update you all.

mary Mar 28, 2009

my name is mary, i am in the same situation. i have paid them nearly 2000.00 and still have people calling me and sending threating letters a couple of them are check advances and i am so sared that i will get into some trouble for not paying these checks, i think they should be the ones to pay!!!i have a friend that went trough it too and we really want to get our money back if u have any information please let me know, thank you

• Ka
    Kayu Apr 02, 2009

Hi. We are all going trough the same issue. But my question to all of you, how and what happened when you guys put a stopped payment to them? I am planning to put a stop payment but i'm scared. What should I do?

• Md
    MDS Apr 02, 2009

The Attorney General of Maryland states any complaints against the Frederick Law Group or Attorney Richard Brennan be addressed to a Mr. Larry Munson (Attorney Gen. Office) by calling him at 1-301-791-4780.

I hope this in helpful to all of you. Good Luck!

Chris Apr 21, 2009

I, too, am a client of FLG, since August '07. Today, April 21, 2009, after nearly two weeks of no response to an e-mail to my paralegal at the firm or from the representative who signed me as a client, that calling the firm gives the message that the message box is full and cannot accept new messages. But it does not provide an alternative to leaving a message. Alarming, though, I discovered that the firm's e-mail is such that YOU CAN'T SEND AN E-MAIL. I called one of my creditors' law firms and learned that it has left a series of messages at FLG but has not received any response and the last time they talked to anyone at FLC was THREE MONTHS AGO. I am strongly considering MDS' advise to call the state's attorney general since I obviously am not getting the representation I'm paying for. I've got a call into another of my creditors as well. If I'm told the same thing as what I was told tonight, I am going to STOP the automatic monthly withdrawls FLG makes and pursue a complaint with the state's AG. I learned by directly contacting one of my creditors that they are willing to settle for 40 percent of the total debt. I WOULD ENCOURAGE ANYONE TO CALL THEIR CREDTORS TO FIND OUT WHAT BUSINESS, IF ANY, THEY'VE HAD WITH FGL. If there hasn't been any, try dealing with them directly, stop payments to FLG & file a complaint. I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone with more experience than I.

Lisa May 04, 2009

Like all of you I am not sure what to do either. I have been a client of FLG since Oct 06. I haven't been able to reach anyone in months. Now the phone number isn't working at all, can't leave a message. I am very nervous. I am suppose to be done in Oct of 09 with the settlements. But by the look of things I am going to have to fight for my money back and figure out how to pay my creditors off on my own. Since you all probably were told when we signed up with FLG not to make any more payments to my creditors, so the late fees piled up. Plus they have gone through arbitration twice, which costs even more money. I guess the best thing to do would be contact the creditors is make a complaint to the attorney generals office. I too would appreciate any feedback

Chris May 05, 2009

Lisa, and anyone else: This is what I've done - I've stopped ALL future payments to the firm after concluding I have no way to communicate with anyone there - no response to e-mails to my paralegal, the firm's main e-mail address doesn't accept messages, a phone message box that is full & gives NO alternate method to communicate. On learning this, I called my creditors and - VERY IMPORTANT - they tell me they have had no response to their calls since at least January, important because this may be a contractual violation on the firm's part. On my own, I've settled with one creditor for 40 percent and am negotiating with the other. THIS IS WHAT I PAID THE FIRM TO DO - NEGOTIATE! I am preparing a complaint to the Maryland attorney general; you can do it on-line or mail it to the address on the on-line form. One of the boxes in the on-line form asks what you hope for if your complaint is substantiated: I am asking for a FULL refund of ALL I have paid the firm, and am also asking for criminal prosecution. To anyone out there still making monthly payment but who has no way to communicate with the firm, though I'm not an attorney, I would suggest IMMEDIATE stop-payments because, since you have no response from the firm, how can you know what you're paying for? More importantly, though, if you call your creditors, ask when and if they have had any non-response from the firm to their inquiries. If so, you may have the contractual violation that warrants a complaint, not to the BBB, but to the attorney general.

• Ca
    carol May 06, 2009

Is there a class action law suit in progress wi FLG. I started with them back in Oct 2007. I have three different people that have been paralegal on my case. Dustin Harness, William (can't remember his name, had an accent. I too have had to call my creditors and make arrangements with them to pay them back. In the mean time money has been taken from my account for their services. Does anyone know if at this date their is a class action law suit against FLG. We all believed that they would go to battle for us and help to clear our debit isues. But instead got screwed, Any new information that I gather I will share with all of you. Keep your heads up and believe that their is an att0rney out their that is willing to take on this case. And will put a stop to fraudulant companies lie FLG. I hope that all of you have kept every single piece or correspondance with them. We may need it in a court of law.

Lisa May 07, 2009

I just wanted to warn all of you...YOU HAVE TO CLOSE THE BANK ACCOUNT THAT FREDERICK LAW GROUP KNOWS AND OPEN A NEW ONE. I STOPPED THE PAYMENTS BUT THEY JUST GOT INTO MY ACCOUNT WITH ANOTHER NAME! TOOK THE PAYMENT RIGHT OUT! I WENT RIGHT IN TO MY BANK AND CLOSED THE ACCOUNT AND OPENED A NEW ONE. I WOULD ADVISE YOU ALL TO DO THE SAME. THAT ACTION RIGHT THERE SAYS ALOT ABOUT FREDERICK LAW GROUP. I WILL BE CONTACTING THE FIRM THAT MY CREDITORS HAVE AND TRY AND NEGOTIATING MYSELF, WISH I WOULD HAVE DONE THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE! I WILL DEFINATELY BE FILING A COMPLAINT AGAINST FREDERICK LAW GROUP I HOPE WE ALL GET OUR MONEY BACK!
    LISA

Lisa May 07, 2009

carol, I too had dustin harkness as for william his last name is Ablagye. He was assigned to me months ago. I have yet to speak or get an email back from him.

Chris May 07, 2009

Hey, all, get a load of this: I got a voice message yesterday (Wed, 05/06/09) from someone @ the firm stating that "negotiations are continuing" & that the reason an auto withdrawal wasn't made from my checking account last month was because of "upgrades" the firm is making. Huh? Anyways, I was told I'm getting a letter "explaining" something, and I suspect that it was related to my last e-mail a month or so ago that my not having any communication with the firm since January "was not acceptable" and that I expected a response within 24 hours. When I didn't, I stopped all future payments to the firm, negotiated with one of my creditors at 40 percent & am prepping a complaint to the state attorney general. I have not responded to the firm's call yesterday & won't and intend to use this letter I'm supposed to be getting to include in my complaint to the attorney general. What interests me most in the call is the comment that "negotiations are continuing" since one of my creditors was able to access his law firm's and another and told me FLG hasn't responded to either firm's calls since January. Did anyone else get such a call? And, if you did, are you going to be like me & continuing no future payments & use whatever you get in writing in a formal complaint?

Lisa May 08, 2009

I haven't heard from anyone from Frederick Law Group since october! i have called and called. emailed and emailed, nothing. I am not paying them another cent! I have a question, I was going over my paper work and i was wondering who i call as far as creditors. I have two that i owe, but i got letters from a Howard Lee Schiff/collection agency who was trying to collect the debt for my creditors. I googled Howard Lee Schiff and there were alot of complaints about him too. So I am wondering if i should just try and called the two creditors instead of Howard Lee Schiff. After all that frederick law group has done its hard to trust anyone. I don't want to set up payments with another firm and find out 2.5 years later i am being screwed over again. Any help would be appreciated. Lisa

Chris May 08, 2009

Lisa - I believe fully it best that you NOT continue "payments" to FLG since you've not had any contact with it in SEVEN months. As for calling your creditors directly or the collection agency, try the creditor first to see if they can even talk to you (I understand that once a collection agency is involved, the creditor has to "get it back, " if they can, to negotiate with you). If you have to talk to the collection agency, I think you may make some headway if you explain that you no longer have FLG representing you and that it clearly did not represent you as it indicated it would contractually. Usually, when a collection agency or lawyer's office knows that the other counsel isn't in the picture, they'll usually bargain in good faith & offer either a one-time settlement (usually 40 to 60 percent) or four to six monthly payments (usually around 80 percent of the debt). I still believe strongly that a complaint - as many of them - need to flood the Maryland attorney general's office. Someone mentioned earlier something about a class action suit that represents all of us. Usually that's what the attorney general does.

riggerswife May 11, 2009

Dustin Harkness is no longer employed at FLG, they are to be contacting clients regarding their accounts. There was a class action law suit that settled and we are waiting on the distribution of funds. Best advise, contact your local consumer credit counseling office, they are legit and do much of the same type of negotiating that these rip-off firms do. There is a monthly fee though. Also, contact a local bankruptcy attorney, many offer a free consultation. They also can netogiate settlements.

GOOD LUCK!

riggerswife May 11, 2009

It appears www.fredericklawgroup.com is offline!

Chris May 11, 2009

Thank you, riggerswife! Is there any doubt now that EVERYONE should put immediate stop to future payments to the firm. Harkness was one of my paralegals once; I got an e-mail from him months ago that he was taking a "leave of absence." I'm still curious about getting the letter I was told in a message from FLG that I'd be getting at month's end, and I'm particularly interest in seeing if they address what "negotiations are continuing, " since I'M the one doing the negotiating. One question, though: if there was a class action suit involving a settlement of funds to be distributed, how were these folks allowed to continue? Be that as it may, EVERYONE: does any of us need any more reason to severe our ties with the group?

Lisa May 12, 2009

If there was a class action law suit, do we expect to get a check in the mail? they owe me approx. 5, 000 dollars. Or does a new one need to be filed? I am still trying to figure out who to contact to get my money back. I have stopped all future payments and closed that bank account and opened a new one.. The reason why i did this was because they still took out a payment this month, they just changed their name to do it. The collection agency i talked to yesterday told me that FLG never did any negotiations only sent them a POA. They can't work with me until i write a letter giving them permission to contact me. This has been a nightmare. Lisa

Lisa May 12, 2009

consumer credit counseling is what got me into all this mess. they refered me to Richard Brennan and then frederick law group took over. Its hard to trust anyone anymore.

Chris May 12, 2009

Lisa - I've not known a collection agency to need a letter saying they can deal directly with the debtor, but go ahead & do it ASAP! TALK TO YOUR BANK! THE ONLY WAY A WITHDRAWAL CAN BE MADE IS WITH YOUR PERMISSION ONLY! If the bank issued a payment on a stop you authorized, it is the bank's responsibility to reimburse you. Where to go to complain? The Maryland attorney general. Google 'em & the links will guide you to a complaint form you can file online or print and mail. Yes, it IS a nightmare. But by taking action, YOU'VE taken control - and that's the first step toward ending it. Also, since your creditor told you the firm only sent a POA, you likely have a basis for a contractual violation that the attorney general can pursue. This is why you need to have your contract close at hand. One of the services we were all promised and paid for was the firm negotiating with our creditors. Obviously, the firm didn't; this could be the basis for the attorney general to seek CRIMINAL AND CIVIL action.

• Wi
    William/Susan Rogers May 13, 2009

This is Susan in GA, I did get a phone call today that got my husband all upset. It said the same thing u talked about. They are sending us out a letter. Now Im scared. We have been with them for 2 years. They take out $464.00 monthly. Someone give me something positive about this company.

• Kr
    Kristie May 13, 2009

This is Kristie from KS, I like everyone else have been paying to this company for a long time and gotten no results. What tipped me off is I got a call from a creditor 2weeks ago stating that i owed and that interest was steadily accruing. I informed them that I was being represented by Frederick Law Group but they said no one from the company had ever contacted them. So feeling unsettled I started calling Frederick Law Group and like others got a disconnected number. I then contacted my bank and stopped payments. Can you believe that less then an hour later someone from another debt settlement company called me apologizing for the problems with Frederick Law group in the past month and half and wanted to know if I wanted to continue with the program. I told them I had to think about it and got his name and number. I have called the number everyday for the past week leaving a message each time and surprise, no one has returned my calls. I will be filing a complaint with the Attorney Generals office and encourage other to do the same.

Chris May 14, 2009

EVERYONE: I talked to a banker about something Lisa wrote, that she put a stop to future payments to FLG but it still managed to make a withdrawal. According to the bank, the firm can still get our cash simply by changing its "ID number, " and the bank is powerless (for some reason) even though you didn't authorize it. SO WATCH YOUR BANK ACCOUNTS CLOSELY, PARTICULARLY AROUND THE TIME OF MONTH THAT YOUR WITHDRAWALS WERE MADE. According to the banker, this changing of the "ID number" is FRAUD & needs to be pursued either thru a private lawyer or the state's attorney general (in this case, Maryland). Also, I listened more closely to the message on my answering machine from the guy who said I would be getting a letter later this month. His name is Charles, and he said he is with "the former Frederick Law Group." This choice of words may be the basis for a contractual breach in a complaint to the attorney general - our contracts are with Frederick Law Group, not "the former Frederick Law Group." Everyone, please, if you find out a withdrawal has been made from your accounts AFTER you've stopped payment, check you bank & get the ID numbers that FLG used for the withdrawals & for "the former FLG" & file a complaint with the Maryland attorney general. And, please, note that your contract is - was - with Frederick Law Group, NOT "the former FLG." I'm filing mine with the attorney general this week.

Lisa May 21, 2009

chris I got that same message on my answering machine. I called it back and left a message for "Charles" to please call me back and surprise no response. I am working on my complaint also. I really hope we can put a stop to all this. I WANT MY MONEY BACK.

Chris May 21, 2009

Lisa & everyone else - After hearing that someone had an automatic withdrawal after issuing a stop-payment, I learned that this is somehow possible simply by the firm changing its ID. My bank says this is fraud. I found out, too, that even tho there's no way to call or e-mail the group, my e-mail to my last paralegal seems to be going through. Of course, it's not acknowledge and I don't even know if it's read. But I advised that I would take "appropriate action" if a withdrawal is made since my contract isn't with "the former Frederick Law Group." I got no answer, but I haven't had a withdrawal this month. To date, I haven't got the letter "Charles" said I would, & I'll have time with the upcoming three-day weekend to do my complaint to the attorney general. If anyone's interested in seeing how I'm doing mine as a model, let me know & maybe we can arrange e-mailing it to your private address. If I hear from ANYONE @ "the former FLG, " one of my questions will be WHO is "negotiating" WHAT with WHO since I've already settled with each of my creditors. I had to go to friends, but at least I'm repaying them without interest & the threat of legal action.

Lisa May 22, 2009

Chris i would definately like to see a copy of your complaint. I am also making copies of the contract with FLG. Is there anything else we should be including?

Chris May 22, 2009

Lisa: I'll get a copy of my complaint to you. And, yes, there IS something else to include - namely, that you've had no method of communication or response from anyone at the firm and, if you've talked to any creditor and it indicated, if that creditor had any response. I understand that, even though the firm is apparently now "the former Frederick Law Group, " that its officers can still be held responsible. Another thing to point out is that your contract is with FLG, not "the former FLG" (important distinction) because you may also have a fraud claim since they changed their ID # to continue to make the withdrawal from your account. By the way, make sure that you've stopped future payments to that new ID #.

Lisa May 26, 2009

thank you chris. I really hope it works. I have the rough draft done for my complaint. I have tried to contact Charles from FLG but he still isn't returning my calls. I, too am waiting for the so called letter. FLG takes the money out of my account on the 30th of every month. They will be in for a surprise this month since i have closed the account they had access too. maybe then i will get another phone call from them and i can demand my money back.

Lisa Jun 09, 2009

anyone have any updates???

Chris Jun 09, 2009

Lisa - If withdrawals were made AFTER your stopped payments to FLG, they did it simply by changing their ID #. According to bankers here, this is FRAUD. Be sure to include this in your own complaint.

• Cr
    Crys Jun 11, 2009

Hi. I just found out today what a rip off Frederick Law Group has been. I received a letter from one of my creditors wanting to settle and also noticed that FLG never took out my payment this month, so I went to email the lady who was handling my account and got a returned email stating that the email address did not exist. I tried to go to their website and it no longer exists, and of course none of the phone numbers are connected anymore either. I have not been able to find any information on whether or not the firm is actually closed or not or what's going on, other than this site. Does anyone know how or if we can get our money back? Also, did any one else start out with another company, then get switched to FLG? I went through AMerican Debt Negotiators first, who seemed ok. My mom had went through them before me, and her debt is paid off, she has credit, and never was harrassed from creditors or had to deal with FLG. I on the other hand, was switched to FLG about a year into it without even being told and have had nothing but problems, including being sued by a creditor. I have paid over $6, 000 the past 3 years and would really like to get my money back to pay my creditors like it should have. Any info would be appreciated. Thank

Chris Jun 11, 2009

CRYS - Have you contacted AmericaDebt & asked them why you were switched to someone new without your approval? You may have a complain against it with the attorney general of the state AmericaDebt is based in. As for FLG, it apparently no longer exists. In early May, after appx 3 mos of no response to my e-mails to FLG & being unable to leave a message on its general number, I got a voice message @ home from a Charles saying he was with "the former Frederick Law Group, " that "negotiations are ongoing" & that I would receive a letter by the end of the month with new contact info. I put a stop payment earlier to future automatic withdrawals and, although I hadn't gotten a response in more than 3 months, my former paralegal's e-mail seemed to be valid (at least e-mails didn't come back, but she never responded). I advised in that e-mail (if it was read) that I had contracted with the FLG, not "the former FLG, " that I had stopped withdrawals & that any withdrawal done simply by changing its ID # would "result in punitive action." No withdrawal has occurred. The "Charles" with "the former FLG" who left the message at my home left me a 1-800 number. I called it & I got a message asking me if I wanted to talk to "live, hot sexy women." I have filed a complaint against FLG with the Maryland attorney general, the state where it was based. I urge you to do the same. But, if I were you, I'd ask your first firm why it apparently handed you off to FLG without telling, much less asking, you first.

Chris Jun 12, 2009

I filed my complaint two weeks ago and mailed supporting documents to the Maryland attorney general two weeks ago, and I got an e-mail today from that office saying I'm being assigned to a deputy prosecutor who will be in touch with me next week.

Lisa Jun 12, 2009

chris, i have my complaint" i think" finished. do you think you could send me a copy of your complaint? I was wondering if i need to send copies of proof that flg took payments out of my bank account.. what else that really upsets me is that before all this started, i owed 6, 000 bucks less. (all the late fees have added up) i really wish i would have just negotiated it myself 3 years ago...

Chris Jun 12, 2009

Send me your mailing address to my private e-mail ([email protected]). It'd be too big to e-mail as an attachment. Yes, you need proof that flg took payments (this can be proven by the blank check you had to provide when you first started). Copies of POA to your creditors (ones that say they will "negotiate") are needed. It would also be a good idea to print copies of e-mails if you've saved them. And you should include the call you got from "Charles" about the "former FLG" & that he said you'd get a letter by the end of May (I'm guessing, like me, you have yet to get it). But I'll mail you copies of what I submitted, and you can compare them to what you have.

• Cr
    Crys Jun 13, 2009

Chris- When I contacted American Debt about the switchover they told me that all of Richard Brannans clients who lived in West Virginia had been switched over to his new company of FLG and that they could not give me any further information. Can documentation be sent via email to the Maryland Attorney General or do you have their address? I see from the previous posts we need proof of payments...but what are POA? I have the contract papers from American Debt and Frederick Law Group that I signed and I have all my emails from asking FLG questions about account balances and what cards were paid off, where I only got some vague answer, and that even though I had signed my contract with the other company that stated I would pay 223.00/month for 3 years and have all my creditors paid off (including the 2500 fee), that somehow paying them 223.00 for 2 years (over 5000) still hadnt paid off my 2500 fee, so FLG couldnt help me settle anything for the past year that I have been with them. I asked where the money from American Debt Negotiators went, they said they did not know and when I contacted ADN they said they gave it to FLG. So I just keep getting the runaround. Im guessing I may have to file against both companies?

riggerswife Jun 13, 2009

In Nov 08, we sent all of our documentation to The Casey Group (PO B 10037, Towson, MD 21285-0037) in response to participating in a class action suit against Richard A Brennan. It was successful, however, there has not been any distribuiton of funds. We put in over $10k into FLG with no results. Also, calls and emails to get a balance in our "account" have gone unansered. It might not hurt to contact The Casey Group for information or guidance.

Chris Jun 20, 2009

Today I received a letter dated June 19, 2009, from the office of the Maryland attorney general. It found in my favor against FLG, but the "victory" may be meaningless. Following is the text of the letter, word for word:
    "RE: Consumer Protection Division v. Law Offices of Richard A. Brennan, LLC, et al.
    Dear ...
    In October 2007, the Consumer Protection Division reached a settlement with Richard Brennan, a Frederick, Maryland lawyer, the Law Offices of Richard A Brennan, LLC, the law firm's office manager, Jeffrey Formulak, and a related company called American Telecommunications Solutions, LLC (referred to collectively as the "Brennan Law Firm") in connection with their offer and sale of debt management and debt settlement services to consumers. The Division alleged that the Brennan Law Firm violated the Maryland Consumer Protection Act by exaggerating the savings it promised consumers, offering services that it could not lawfully offer in Maryland and by failing to forward payments it received from consumers to their creditors. Under the settlement, the Brennan Law Firm agreed to return all payments it received from consumers in the past that it did not forward to consumers' creditors.
    The State of Maryland will attempt to collect the monies that are owed to consumers from the Brennan Law Firm before any refunds can be issued. We estimate the Brennan Law Firm owes consumers hundreds of thousands of dollars in refunds. Collecting all or part of this amount is likely to be very difficult and may not be possible. If we are able to collect all or part of the monies that are owed to consumers, you will be contacted by the Division. It is not necessary for you to contact the Division at this time in order to apply for a refund.
    If you have any additional questions, please call me at (301) 791-4780. Thank you for your continued cooperation.
    Sincerely,
    Lary E. Munson"
    A copy of the above was sent to Brennan Law Firm (wherever the hell it is now).
    This should be sufficient to advise ANYONE still doing business with this outfit to STOP IMMEDIATELY. To be put on a list for refunds, apparently all anyone needs to do is to mail proof of payments and copies of POA's to the Maryland office @ 44 N. Potomac St., Suite 104, Hagerstown, MD 21740.
    I hope all of us has learned something from this nightmare.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices