Frederick J Hanna and Associatesdebiting monies from my checking account

This firm has debited a total of 500.00 from my checking account. I did reluctantly agree to allow a ach debit on my checking account in order to start a settlement on a Bank Of America Credit card account. This firm told me they would take 100.00 out on Feb 9, 2009 the monies were not debited until the 17th. They then sent me a letter they would debit my checking account 400.00 on the 27th of Feb. After doing research and realizing I had made a big mistake I tried to get my bank to stop all payments. My bank said they could not stop payments on a ach debit the request to stop has to come from the company. All this took place on March 2, 2009 at this time this firm had not as yet debited my checking account as they had agree to do on the 27th of Feb. I then tried to close out my account and attempted to reopen a new account. On March 3 I received notice that this firm had debited 400.00 out of my checking account this left me with not only a negative balance but overdrafts on other purchases that had taken place prior to the 27th. I now have two bank accts. one is showing overdrawn. What can I do to get my money back and get this ach debit stopped it seems like Frederick J Hanna is going in and taking money when they feel like it.

• Ab
    a bill collector Apr 03, 2009

the firm is porcessing the payments on time however the banks clearing house is taking a long time to approve the payments. If the money is set to be there, then dont spend it. thats why they are calling you in the first place. poor money management on your part.

• Ke
    keepinthefaith Apr 20, 2009

Fredrick Hanna's office is under investigation for their unlawful collection practices. Google the AJC article from Mid march. It will give you the name and number of the Commissioners office. They are taking Hanna to court on March 30th to demand information on their accounts. Guy talks like he is above the law. They also went in and wiped out our account since my husband lost his job. Even when we kept in contact. They prey on people that they don't think will fight them. Read the article and contact the names listed, I am. Good luck and be blessed.

• Iw
    I won't be bullied May 03, 2009

I thank "keepthefaith" for that information. I have had exactly the same problem with these ### also on a BofA account. I tried to work with the Hanna crowd and did give them authority to debt several payments of $200 from my bank account. I was trying, in good faith, to make good on my debt. I then told them that I had hit a wall and to stop the debits after a certain number which we had agreed upon. The man became very abusive, yelled at me, threatened me, and then said that he would no longer debt the payments. He had had his sidekick call me a day or so later to confirm this. She was the good cop in the good cop bad cop vaudeville team. Then 10 days later a debt was taken out. I am so pleased to have the names in the AJC article. I will contact them, as well as the State Attorney General, and see what can be done to stop these people. And B0fA should know that their name is all over what these people are doing. I vote we don't give them any more o four tax dollars to "bail them out" Let them sink. And to that "kind soul" bill collector. You know that sometimes people get into difficuty not because they were irresponsibile but because they had life threatening situations with health or other situations they had no control over. Look at the times, and change your career field. You'll sleep better at night and may even be able to look at yourself in the mirror again. "I won't be bullied"

not a dummy2 Aug 28, 2009

I agree. I had bad dealings with this company. I live in Georgia. I paid them in full. They confirmed I owed nothing. Then 3 months later they said I owe them. Thank God I kept all of my receipts. Come to find out I over paid them. I hope to get my monies back. I send them certify copies of all check numbers and canceled checks. So far I have not heard anything. I have complaints with the Consumer Office of Affairs. They are determine to get them and refund any monies that is due. The person who said they think they are above the law: they do. They are rude and malicous. They talk to people like they are trash. I hope 2009 is the year they go out of business.

• Gg
    ggggoooo Oct 13, 2009

They called me n I agreed to settle, they wanted it all up front. The guy then put his 'supervisor' on the line, who was an idiot. She demanded that I apply for a new cc and pay them with that. I said my credit was ruined, they had seen to that. She told me I was irresponsible, I told her where she could go and what she could do!

I would...NEVER..!!! give those fulls a draft on my acount!! NEVER!!!

They also asked for my ss number. I gave them the case no. They said that wasn't good enough. I said 'you got my name, add, and case nu. I'm ..NOT.. giving you my ss no."

They said 'you think we don't know it?' I said apparently not, or you wouldn't be asking for it! DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY [protected]@!!! All they really have is the last 4 of it. If you give it to them, they can do anything with it. These clowns are not to be trusted!

marcan1984 Oct 13, 2009

OMG they have sent me a letter stating they want full payment owed to Bofa and the judgement against my husband will be in default if we don't respond within 30 days. I was going to call them and let them know that my husband was downsized and let go from his job and they could debit my account for 75.00 per month till paid but I have a Bank of America acct. and draw only disability and if that's how they work there is no way on this planet we can be put through all that crud. Any advice on how to take care of this in a better way? We want to take care of this but cannot have them rob me of all my only income each month and going into overdraft with Bank of America.

• Ji
    jimbo17 Oct 26, 2009

In the state of GA only one party has to know a call is being recorded. Threats and intimidation is against the law. Record it. I won't talk to collectors on the phone unless I record it with date and time stamp. You can bet they record and they are the only ones with a record.

ms tia Oct 30, 2009

WOW! OMG! You people are all sorely mistaken on so many issues! FJH is governed by the FDIC the calls are all recorded and it would behoove a COLLECTOR TO SAY AND DO THINGS TAHT ARE NOT IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE LAWS OF THE FDCPA!

OF COURSE FJH has YoUr full ss, it is a way to verify you are who you say you arE!!! JUST LIKE YOU CALL THE GAS CO, ELECTRIC CO. AT&T, THEY ASK FOR YOUR SS, AT LEAST THE LAST FOUR DIGITS!!! Sure we are in hard times but if you are in debt its not FJH fault??? Where does personal responsibilty come in????

Yes, bad things happen to good people, however when yo max out a credit card and dont pay the debt " a legal binding contract" surely, you must know the day is going to come when FJH, and yatti, yatti, God only knows
    who will be in your ear for the money!

At best, pay our debts, better yet, dont create debt that you do not have a back up plan to cure if push came to shove!! When you set up electronic payments, no that funds are not automatically taken out the day you set it up for, it is requested from you account that set up date, however it is in nine times out ten your bank holding up the funds!

ms tia Oct 30, 2009

SORRY! NOT THE FDIC FJH IS UNDER THE LAWS OF THE FDCPA! OOPS...LOOOOONG DAY! LOL

• Me
    Me Me Me Nov 10, 2009

Woke up this morning to see an $1900.00 draft on my checking account and I called the bank to verify what was going on. I was told that the draft was from this company and given a phone number to contact them. I have received NO prior notice and am not in default on ANY payments. I do not use this checking account for anything other than incidental expenses, so there is no way that the account was attached to any regular bill payment center I paid. How can they do this?

• Zz
    zzcommss Feb 01, 2010

they are horrible and will treat you like crap, hang up on you and basically try to extort the money out of you even if you don't have it. they lie, cheat, and steal, basically. i have tried to deal with them in a nice manner and that proved to be a big mistake. huge.
    i had a feeling they were lying about things so i did record all calls, as my state is a two party state, and it says right when you call that all calls are recorded.
    i did some research and found so much info on them, so i called my attorney general's and filed a complaint. the only way they get paid is if you pay them, which is why they will threaten you and say anything to you. maybe they should be out of work, and then some ### debt collector can harass them for a change. obviously they have pages and pages of negativity about them online, and i would not suggest even dealing with them at all.
    good luck.

no more law firms Feb 21, 2010

I am interested in hearing more about this Firm. I recently recieved a notice from them
    for collection on a Boa account that The other infamous Atlanta firm Mann Bracken tried to collect but failed when they took it to NAF for arbitration and had the case dismissed back in 2007. This item shouldnt even appear on the credit file let alone being sent out again for collection.(boa wont talk about it) Upon doing some research i noticed a common link between the two agencies... Chris Cooling... any chance some mann bracken accounts ended up Hanna

ms tia Sep 21, 2010

Yes in Feb 2010 all the Mann BrackEN acc went to Hanna.

ms tia Sep 21, 2010

ALL I WILL SAY IS BE VERY CAREFUL GIVING FJH YOUR INFO TO EXTRACT FUNDS FROM YOUR ACC. get a settlement letter when they agree to settle a debt. I n the letter it clearly says you can mail in your payments. They just have to get to fjh the day you agree to make payments.

ms tia Sep 21, 2010

BOA... A BIG FISH, PEACE OF ADVICE HAGGLE, HAGGLE, HAGGLE, CLAIM BROKE, POOR, NO MONEY, HAVE TO BORROW WHATEVER AND GET THE DEBT KNOCKED DOWN TO 30 CENTS ON A DOLLAR! THE COLLECTORS NEED TO HIT THEIR MONTHLY BUDGET OR THEY DO NOT HAVE A JOB! 35K A MONTH THEY HAVE TO COLLECT! SETTLE ALL YOUR DEBTS A DAY OR TWO B4 OR THE LAST DAY OF THE MONTH, I MEAN THAT LITERALLY!!! THAT IS HOW YOU GET THE LOWEST PAY OFF! iF YOU HAVE PAYMENT ARRANGEMENTS CALL AT THE END OF THE MONTH AND TRY TO GET A LOW PAYOFF, THE DEBTORS ARE LIKE CRACK HEADS TRYING TO HIT THAT BUDGET!

• Ed
    Educated123 Dec 12, 2010

The firm is governed by the State Bar of Georgia, not the FDIC... the FDCPA is a list of laws against collections.. not an agency of governing. people please educate yourselves and pay your debts. if you can not pay, always ask for an ACCOUNT MANAGER not just the collector's supervisor, the actual manager over the client in that state. You can work out monthly payments and avoid any future legal activity against you. The clients do provide the firm with ALL of your information including and not limited to your social security number. It doesnt matter if you give it to them over the phone or in writing, the company has this information as provided by the client. how else does a john smith not get garnished or sued for another john smith's debt? Let's take a step back and think, people! Pay voluntarily or face legal action as outlined in the terms and conditions on the original agreement from the original creditor. Use the internet to educate yourself rather than to gripe and complaint against someone that you think is doing illegal things, Mr. Hanna does not practice law illegally. He is an upstanding citizen and would never do anything illegal intentionally nor would any of his partners, account managers or attorney's.

EDUCATE yourself BEFORE signing a legally binding contract. Read the fine print & don't be ignorant.

• Ed
    Educated123 Dec 12, 2010

there is no chris cooling with the firm nor is it true that all of the accounts that were placed with Mann Bracken went to Hanna's Firm.

Ms. Ellison Jan 05, 2011

I am writting this in reference about Frederick Hanna, they went into my account and took $550 twice, For Bank of America Account.They only supposed to take $125. I am contacting the State Bar of Georgia. They are not taking my money and get away with it that easy. Frederick J. Hannan is a crooked company. I was overdrawn, and insufficent account, I had to cancelled my account, because of this company. Bank of America know this company history.
    Ms. Ellison

• Ih
    I Hate Bill COllectors Feb 09, 2011

ms tia must work for fjh as she talks like she knows what goes on there. FYI ms tia everything they(FJH) does on the phone mailing letters etc etc etc is illegal you need to really read the laws. LAWS were made so companies like this don't break them. HAVE they yes many many many times and when they get nailed by the state of GEORGIA i will personally be sitting here laughing, when they are put of of business by the state i will throw a BIG BIG party. They are like all the rest of these [censor]S that buy debits thinking they are going to collect. People wake up and go read the FTC laws you will see that EVERYTHING they have done is ILLEGAL, and it tells you how to put a stop to ALL of it. Don't take my word for it go read it on the FTC site. I hope atleast this helped SOMEONE

• Ih
    I Hate Bill COllectors Feb 09, 2011

OH and FYI from another site

It is time for Frederick J. Hanna and Associates to be SHUT DOWN.

How do we do this?

Complain.

First, to the people who regulate Georgia lawyers:

Georgia Bar Association
    104 Marietta St. NW, Suite 100
    Atlanta, Georgia 30303
    FAX: [protected]

Second, to the people who protect us from CROOKS in Georgia:

Georgia Governor’s Office of Consumer Affairs
    2 Martin Luther King Jr., Drive SE, Suite 356
    Atlanta, GA 30334
    [protected]

Write letters, tell them what Hanna and his GOONS have done to you. Tell them about the continual calls, calls to wrong numbers, harassing calls, broken contracts, theft from bank accounts, failure to provide documentation of debts and so on.

Posting to the Internet is great, but these agencies need to hear from you directly. Hanna is UNDER INVESTIGATION and has PENDING COURT DATES.

• Jp
    jpratt8 Mar 01, 2011

Is Frederick J. Hanna & Associates scam?
    i currently owe $609.06 on ochard bank credit card. i had stopped paying the card for awhile due to lack of money. now it has been charged of to a debt collector, Frederick J. Hanna & Associates. they had contacted me.. i tried to settle by making payments. the guy i talked to, his name was martin. he was rude and wanted all of it up front. what should i do?

• Sp
    Spyder315 Mar 05, 2011

I have an account that was put into collections with them that was signed by my ex-wife while I was in Iraq. They said I owe on court costs and lawyers fees and it acrues a daily interest as well. But will send me no paperwork or validate the debt. All they keep saying is I have to pay it or it keeps collection the interest on the account. From what I can find from the origional creditor it was for 10K FJH says I owe them 14K. Even on my credit it shows I only owe about 9000.00 on the account

• We
    Wendy Lee Wetzel Mar 31, 2011

This Law firm is a total sham! They actually garnished my Social Security Disability benefits for a debt I owed to Capital One Bank from the late 90's. I thought the account was closed all the while they were charging interest plus attorney's fees! These charges total more than the balance on the credit card! I have been making payments to them for 3 years now of $50 a month. A copy of my credit report from a few days ago leaves me stuck with a Judgment in the amount of $850.00 that will not fall off until 2015!!! I am furious and will not pay Hanna another dime!

• Ro
    rockphile Apr 22, 2011

They are not allowed to touch any benefits you get. Find a lawyer on line - google 'rights of debt collectors' and you'll find several - and sue the pants off them, let alone the bank that permitted such a thing.

You all need to do research on what the laws are governing debt collectors before you do any deals with them whatsoever.

I've put them on written cease and desist notice.

ms tia May 19, 2011

Hello Ms I Hate Bill COllectors, you are truly misinformed and no i do not work for FJH, I WAS A BILL COLLECTOR FOR MANY YEARS! BY LAW YOU ARE REQUIRED TO SEND A LETTER ONCE YOUR COMPANY RECeiVES THE DEBT, you just can not put the company name on it! If a company has your telephone number or work number and you owe a debt a bill collector can call you. However they can not harass you by calling back to back! If a debtor says not to call their job a bill collector should remove that number! If a debtor says do not call them at home the fdcpa ( federal debt collection practice act) law states that it must be in writing! However a good bill collector and a good company would remove the number and not call the debtor.

If the calls stop it does not mean the debts goes away, you can still be contacted via mail. Once the creditor sees the company is not collecting on the debt they just take it to another debt collection agency or a law firm and the calls start all over again. Bill collectors have all kinds of tools to find a debtor.

The FDCPA laws were put in place to protect the debtor from being harassed not called! If a collection agency was not allowed to call a debtor than call centers would not exist and credit card companies, banks ect. would be sued left and right, however that is not the case!

Creditors can pursue you for twenty years, however a debt can stay on your credit report for 7 years! Also if you have a problem with a debt collection company it would behoove you not to contact the FTC they are the watch dogs for debt collection agencies! Be very careful of
    who you take advice from. Many of you are clueless as to what the correct laws and procedures are. Google FDCPA LAWS! THERE ARE MANY, ie...the mini miranda (if it is illegal to call debtors there would be no mini miranda law) thats when a bill collector by law must make sure they are speaking with the debtor and verify name, ssn, address ect. ect.

There are laws for taking checks over the phone, speaking to lawyers, calling before 8am and after 9pm. In some states it is illegal to talk to a spouse, it is called third party disclosure. Debtors have a great deal of rights when corresponding with a bill collector. Forwarned is forarmed! Most bill collectors are vicious so i would know my rights when dealing with them. Having a tape recorder isn't a bad idea either.

Also almost 100% of debts you can negotiate down in many cases paying 50cents on a dollar (always best to sif /settle in full) debts at the end of the month, i mean the very end collection agencies are in close out and trying to reach a company and indivisual quota (also keep their job)!

FYI: Hanna has never lost a case in court, true they are the worst when it comes to how they treat people however they are very strict on their employees, and monitor them very harshly and often. They actually have a staff of people that only record and monitor bill collectors all day!!!

Well good luck folks!

Tia

• De
    Deborahjbd1 Mar 19, 2013

I don't see why you can't sue them in magistrate court or the small claims court of your jurisdiction. document everything even reconstruct from memory phone calls, etc. If you had an agreement even oral and they did not keep with it they breached it. Get your documentation together. Compose an affidavit and get it notarized. Make a copy of the backup paperwork and file the copy of the backup paperwork and the original affidavit with the complaint. The fact that they took any money at all is proof that there was a contract. It will cost some money initially but you may get that back. The real goal here is to teach them a lesson. If everybody does this there is no way they can be in court for all of it with all the sleazy stuff they do. If Hanna sues you, file an answer, and wait for your court date. Don't settle with them.
    They can't possibly be in court with all the cases they file with the few attorneys they actually have. If they take a matter to a court, let them deal with it in court. Win lose or draw you can appeal a judge's decision, but not a settlement that you make with the crooks. We have not heard the last of the worst of Hanna yet.

• Lw
    LWSjr Jun 15, 2014

I did not find out about a garnishment on my wages until the day I got paid. I got my company representative to email me a copy of the notice. It was filed in Fulton County, notorized in Paulding County and the Judgement was issued in Cobb County. They "mailed" or tried to "serve" this notice to an address in which I never lived. This is for a credit card that I have not had in 15 years and is no longer on my credit report. They did the same thing to a checking account that I had last year. They know where you work and where you bank. You would think they have your correct address. I went to their "law" office, waited for 45 minutes and finally got to speak with a non attorney representative. I was told if I paid half and set up payments, then they would stop the garnishment. Hana does not want to work with the consumer. Their tactics are unethical and I am truly saddened after reading everyone's complaints. Does anyone know the statute of limitations on collections for such accounts? As well as, paying continued interest on a credit card that has been closed for 15 years?