First Merit BankMoney scam

G

I had an account with first merit for years. I recently made a mistake with my account and it was overdrawn. I had written a check and there wasn't enough money to cover it so, instead of paying it and charging me, they returned the check unpaid and charged me anyways! I am outraged. A couple of weeks before this, they had screwed me out of $150, because their employees don't have the slightest idea what in the hell they are doing or saying. First Merit are a bunch of CROOKS and they will STEEL all of your money. There is a fee for everything and you will get screwed. Don't say I didn't warn you.

• Na
    Nancy66 Feb 19, 2017

So supposedly First Merit is now Huntington Bank. What the hell are they doing. You are suppose to receive your NEW debit card by the 21st of Feb (Tuesday) I still haven't gotten mine. If not received you are to call them. Sure and wait 1/2 hour on the phone. I am getting very upset with this bank to say the least. Time to switch to someone else. They better get their #### together. And soon

• Sc
    Screwed by Firstmerit Feb 09, 2015

I had a commercial/business loan with Firstmerit since 2008 that was for a commercial building. they recently sold the loan to my neighbor. I would like to add that for the first six years I may double payments and for the last two years I made the regular payment and was never late not even one day late the payment was automatically withdrawn from my account. The neighbor that bought the loan has doubled the interest-rate and is calling in the loan I guess that would make Firstmerit selling loans to a loanshark

• Di
    DIANE WESLEY Jul 20, 2014

I WAS 1MONTH AND 1/2=653.00 BEHIND ON MY CAR PAYMENT. I NEEDED I EXTRA WEEK TO MAKE THE PAYMENT. THEY REPOSSESED MY CAR. TO GET IT BACK, THEY WANT 2, 600. THIIS IS 350.00 F0..R TOWING -2 PAYMENTS IN ADVANCE- 426.00-450.00 I LATE FEE-PLUS THE 653.00. THIS MAKES IT HARD FOR ME. I AM ON SSI- UNABLE TO WORK. I GET A CHECK ONCE A MONTH FOR 1133.00. I USE TO WORK IN A LABORATORY MAKING GOOD MONEY ALL THESE YEARS. NOW I CAN NOT WORK. I HAD TO GET A OPERATION TO HAVE A DIFIBULATOR FOR MY HEART. THANKS FOR NOT ALLOWING ME AN EXTRA WEEK TO PAY YOU. HOW WILL I GET AROUND? CAN SOME ONE HELP ME PLEASE!!!

• De
    deliqueen Sep 26, 2012

Firstmerits new text messaging is supposed to keep you from having overdrafts but they are not sending out texts when you get low even if you are signed up for it. They do not give you a grace period of even one hour to correct it. The balance they give you is not your available balance. They suck. I have had and account with them for 26 years ( even before they became firstmerit) and basically was told to go to another bank. With the way they rip off people on overdraft fees its no wonder their stock goes up

• Ba
    Banker truth Jul 02, 2012

Worst bank. Take it from a former employee customer your money under the matress is more secure. They are in trouble failure for them is around the corner!!! They suck.

• Lo
    Lori4BetterBanking Mar 20, 2012

First Merit CONTINUALLY takes the money from my partners bank and "floats" it for several days prior to depositing into my First Merit account. They are at the top in banking fraud. I have had overdraft in the last 6 months---made a $1600 deposit that I needed to be in within 2 days. What did they do...they held it an additional FOUR days. That is---they HELD MY MONEY & CHARGED ME OVERDRAFTS ON 4 transactions!!! I received a letter in the mail from First Merit that stated: "We will be holding your recent deposit an additional 5 days because you have had overdrafts in the last 6 months" INSANE!!! They pulled the money from the 2nd parties account----HELD IT, (I am sure that they get a lot of fraud interest with all of their customers in the same situation)--kept overdrafting me, because I had an overdraft previously! How in the &*%% is that suppose to help anyone from further overdrafts??? Where do you go to file a formal complaint and/or join a class action lawsuit?

• Co
    Country Girl 222 Jan 14, 2011

My fiancé was charged about $200 for fees. The Lodi, Ohio location would not give him an explanation and said he would have to call the main branch. They just said that they were fees, but they didn't know what the fees were for. Today he went to take some money out of the bank for a car, and they had taken his whole amount of around $700 out and left about $1! They said it was withdrawn and they thought it was him. Then they said it was done online. They say that they are trying to figure it out. Once he gets his money back, he's taking it all out of the bank.

• Du
    duncan021183 Jun 25, 2010

I agree with guy 10782 you should never write a check for something if you don't have enough money to cover it, but at the same time Firstmerit do charge you for every thing that you do on your account that's why after a year with them I had to close my bank account. I overdrawn my account by 11 cents and got charged a 30.00 overdraft fee plus 2.00 a day

• Ho
    Hojo Jul 27, 2009

I have been charged 13 $33 fees totaling $429 because First Merit took all the charges for the day before adding deposits. On top of that, they take the largest credits out first thus causing substantially more fees. One bank manager says he has no authority to remove them then another at a different branch removes 2 of them. The district manager took several days and messages to return my call just to say she don't care if I cancel my account of 13 years (I even have 2 excellent paid off car loans).

• Gu
    guy10782 May 05, 2009

its perfectly legal, it was probably in a disclosure you received (but never read) when you opened the account. Plus if you only write checks when you have money in your account you should have nothing to worry about. blame yourself for spending money you didnt have instead of blaming the bank.