First Capital Securities Inc.bad check

K

I got a check for 4878.00 and a letter saying not to use the check until I called the # on the letter. So I called the phone # on the letter and a lady answer and told me that the money they send me was part of a winnings of 125, 000.00 and that I needed to send them 2975.00 of the 4878.00 to pay for the taxes and that when they got the money they will send me the rest of my winnings by fed ex, so I deposit the check and called back. I called her back and she said that I needed to send 2975.00 by moneygram or western union. I did not send nothing because I deposit the check in my bank account and because it was a large amount I had to wait 5 day for the bank to cash it.

More First Capital Securities Inc. Complaints & Reviews

• Gl
    Gladys Kitchens Dec 04, 2008

I agree with complaints because I received the same letter with the same request. I decided to get on the internet to check to see what this was all about. I called the number in the letter and the voice mail was full. I was so glad that I chec ked because I would have deposit this check and be in worst shape than I currently am. It is a shame that people have to put up with this type of stuff, especially with things as they are with the USA. It is hard to understand why people do this instead of getting a job and making money. If it wasn't for complaints, I would not have known. Thanks to all of you and the internet.

• Da
    david milota Dec 03, 2008

i got the same letter and the same check from first capital $ 4875, in this day and age we should be able to track these people down . i wouder how many of the elderly fell for this ? how do these people live with themself. why send the money fedex why not give it to them in person.

Britt Maxwell Dec 02, 2008

I got a check today for $4875. I called and asked "why they just didn't take the money out of the amount they sent?" George Stanley had no answer. Then I asked why I should pay taxes now that aren't sue until April 15 of next year. He mumbled a bit until I said "Something's not right here." He hung up. When I called back he would not answer. Phone machine said the tape was full. I'll bet it's not full of messages from well-wishers. I called back an hour later and he answered. I cussed him and told him I would report this to police and FBI. He called me back and left a message saying that when the FBI comes for him, he will turn them on me for cussing at him. Freakin' hilarious. If we met face to face, I could give him many painful reasons to call the authorities. There's a special place in hell for slime like this.

• Ko
    Kody Dec 02, 2008

I got the same letter the other day and knew it was fake and this article just confirmed it.

charlotte pipes Dec 02, 2008

I also received a check for the amount of 4, 875.00 and was told the same thing--not to cash the check until a phone number was called for instructions...I immediately felt suspicion upon noticing that there was not a return address ont he letter, and was stamped Canada...I felt it was a scam when I read that I was supposed to send a moneygramor western union check for the amount of $2975.00 to pay for government taxes...After looking on the Internet, I found my suspicions to be true--thank you all for verifying this...I pray that the people involved receive exactly what they have sowed...As we all know "we reap what we sow"...

From Visalia, CA

• De
    debora nelson Dec 02, 2008

I received a check just also, I called and the mailbox was full. so I went online to see if the bank is an fraud. And i started to read everyones comment. How can we stop them? Thank God I check for more info before I went any further.

• Co
    Connie Dec 02, 2008

scary isn't it? Our personal life is not personal anymore.
    Internet made it worse.
    We can't trust anything...perhaps God, but even God is even being removed from our constitution.
    I did not give my correct email address...don't want an influx of mail I don't trust.

• La
    lawanda davis Nov 25, 2008

u ought to be ashamed of ur selves trying to ripe open

• Pd
    P Driesler Nov 25, 2008

This seems like an easy case to solve . I hope the authorities do something about it. People who pull these scams should be put in jail until they can pay each and every victim back. these people are sick. I once saw a T.V. show, about a girl that was caught pulling a scam like this . She had no remorse for her victims, infact she said it was their fault for being so stupid. I'd love to see 60 minutes do an investigative report about this one. It would be a great public service. I heard that people are much more suceptable to scams like these during hard times.Thank God we have the resorces to investigate these thing ourselves now a days. Good job everyone for spotting tis and reporting it.

Anthony Marra Nov 25, 2008

U got my check yesterday and went to the bank today and they told me it was real but it was a scam i went online and found you guys thanx it is a rip off please tell anyone you know if they get this letter from first capital securities inc tell them to just throw it out .

• Gi
    GINA MASSIMI Nov 24, 2008

2 minutes ago by Gina Massimi [send email]
    11 minutes ago by Gina Massimi [send email]
    I received a check from First Capital Securities in the amount of $4, 875.00 check no#1679
    account 001679 [protected] [protected]

The letter stated I won $125, 000.00 and tax monies in the amount of $2, 975.00 were to be paid. I called the claim agent at [protected] and requested to speak to Helen Campbell my suppose to be claim agent. Her male secretary said she was out. Before going any further with this I looked up on line and sure enough found that they are RIP OFF ARTISTS and this is a scam. Be careful everyone. Its close to the holidays and sure enough these people will get you. Call the Banks, look up the companies on line and do not let your bank information out of your hands. Im so glad I took the 5 minutes to save myself from a world of trouble. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas! I hope you do not get screwed with this scam!!!

• Kc
    k. conroy Nov 24, 2008

recvd mine 11-24-08, i cannot believe, that i believed, but thank god i checked internet first, bank says they have known for 3 weeks, they were rude.they almost had me.

• Kr
    Kristin G Nov 22, 2008

The letter just didn't appear official. THE CHECK DID HOWEVER!!! My first instinct told me to look up this company online. THANK GOODNESS I did!!! How cruel to make someone feel so fortunate and lucky around the holidays.

• Di
    Dianna Siciliano Nov 22, 2008

I also received the check and the letter, I was sooo excited, because like everyone else I really am in a financial mess. This company need to be shut down., and as soon as possible, before they cause someone a great deal of hardship!!!

Joseph Patton Nov 21, 2008

THIS IS A SCAM!!! I'm Sorry. I recieved the same check & letter as all the other reciepients had as well, the check was a beautiful counterfiet minus the banks they represent are not legit, I traced this scam to banks all over the U.S. with the same $4, 875.00 & return $2, 975.00 to a tax agent. Having a bit of knowledge I have to say our Gov. will just take your taxes on winnings over $10, 000.00 . Really you can't even deposit $10, 000.00 of real money into your account w/o the Gov. knowing. My contact was MR. GEORGE STANLEY (CLAIM AGENT) [protected] & my Promotion Manager was MRS. BRENDA HICKS for my letter of winnings.I had called the no. to ask a bit of questions & I had recieved an aburt hang-up followed by long business type beeps, I had called back & gotten a mailbox full story, So then I had contacted the so-called FIRST CAPITAL SECURITIES INC. & Bankatlantic in Port ST. Lucie FL 34984 & no such bank or securitiy firm exist there. Like I had mentioned I have followed the pattern of this scam & they get antsy & change banks names & addressess. these folks are as phony as a three dollar bill. Do your self a favor & anyone else who has fallen prey to these folks, have them shred it yesterday. Do believe the FBI has knowledge of this added to 10, 000x the others.

• Gr
    Grace Nov 18, 2008

I opened the letter and my first thought was no way. But maybe... I have to go in for a tumor biopsy this week to see confirm if it's cancer and I've been anxious about how to pay for the treatment. So I thought maybe this could be an answer to my prayers .

Still, the tumors not in my brain. I couldn't get through to them on the phone so I checked here. I knew it was too good to be true but for just a second I thought - Wow, I can handle this now.

• Lo
    lonnie Nov 18, 2008

I received the same check, I called the FBI and they directed me to take the check to the Post Office.

bryan Nov 17, 2008

Same check amount, same shpeel about them wanting to send me MORE money if I'll just send them the $2, 900 or so bucks to pay taxes. My wife took it hook, line, and sinker but didn't send a check thank goodness! She called: man with an accent took call, didn't seem professional, simply read back what the letter already said. Check looked very authentic! I called later tonite and their message machine said "full" so that was pretty funny. This whole thing should ring everybody's bell: cheap black/white photo copy. Hand-licked stamp on envelope, NO return address. No glitzy printing like Publisher's Clearing House would have on envelope/letter. Coming from Canada? What's up with THAT? My wife's real name isn't even on this "letterhead" which is strange since we'd apparently just one a buttload of money! Also...the taxes would be ridiculously higher than $3, 000. Oh, I could go on and on, but you get the point.

I'm going to do an impersonation of a gullable old man who's extremely grateful for winning. I'm going to rant and rave my praises to these bozos. Then at the last second I'll switch to my normal voice and let them know their phone is being tapped and traced by the police, ha ha! Hey...I might as well get some fun out of it, shouldn't I? Imagine how fast they'll hang up and get the heck out of the building they're in! HA! What idiots...

• Jt
    J.Thomas Nov 17, 2008

I just received one of those checks, the amount of $4, 875.00. It looks so real. Who is going to just send you a check in the mail without an return address and without me even knowing anything about it. These people need to be stopped. I'm sure the way the economy is now they may trick a few people, because we all are in need of a "surprise check in the mail", but a good one not a bad one. I'm going to contact Fox news and let them know about this fraudulent check.

• Ki
    Kim McCusker Nov 17, 2008

I received a check just like the others, except that the woman I was to contact was Ms. Helen Campbell, and I was told to deposit the check and then call her with the tracking number of the Western Union check. I then went to the internet and check out First Capital Securities and was not surprised by the remarks. I do want to say that when I said to Helen that I can't believe that I won, she explained that weather I won a small amount or a larger amount it always seems unreal. But then my husband brought the check to the bank and they said that they have seen them before and that a personal friend had also received one and processed it and then that person wasn't able to open any other bank account because they were labeled as opening a fraudulent account.
    The Check was from First Capital Securities, Inc., 551 Se Port St., Port St. Lucie Fl 34984 from the Bank of Bankatlantic, Port St. Luice #1178, Port St. Lucie, Fl 34984and

• Gl
    Glenn Strickland Nov 17, 2008

We recieved the same check and after checking it out on line found that it was indeed to good to be true. I have found that if they ask for your bank info you must stay away.

• Da
    david bryant Nov 15, 2008

Yes we recieved the same check in Chicago, thank god I know my luck isn't this good, calling abc, nbc, cbs, fox and the chicago tribune, also contacting attourney generals office, this is bad people are hurting way too much for these rodent's to pray on them, get it out there this is a scam, I am also posting this on my myspace. good luck and GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

• Su
    susan Nov 14, 2008

i knew it was too good to be true! it was to my dad so i had to check online first and yup it was a fraud i ripped up the check :)

• Ro
    Ronda Dunkin Nov 13, 2008

We received one of these letters today. At first I thought it was a business payment and thought who on earth sends a check for $4875 with no return address! Stupid people. I immediately knew it was a fraud when I got to the part that I must send money. Isn't this mail fraud? I am going to report it to the post office tomorrow for whatever good it will do.

maria garza Nov 13, 2008

this also happened to me but i got screwed over but i sent them the money and my bank cashed the checkwith out holding it so now am having to re pay the bank cause the check was a bad check.

• Aa
    Aaron Nov 12, 2008

my father in law just recieved it today he was suprised as well but when he gave it to me i was a lil suprised but i noticed that the first mistake was there was no return address that was weird and them the company location vs. the banks location and why would someone go all the way to maine just to go back to Canada and send it to every one first thoguht there fake so i got online to make sure it was fake and now that it is im thinking about telling it to the authorities or call the bank myself and also spread the word around dallas texas by calling the news company i dunno this is just messed up people trying to trick people

• Km
    K.M. Nov 10, 2008

Let me say to all that posted" THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!. I was so very excited to get this check and hopeful that one of the many sweepsteaks had finally paid off. I called the number and got a woman that answered the phone by the name of Stacy which was the name to which the signer had signed the letter stating that I had won 250, 000.The "very realistic" letter was for 4875.00. I was to send 2975.00 to the tax agent. (no specification there) and the final payment would be fed exd to me. When I called she asked me if I had ever called before? Which I found to be strange as to the fact, usually you ask someone who is calling or what is this in reference to...so my gut instinct was to hang up, as I did and waited for my husbands oppinion on the matter. He called and to his suprise the mailbox was full. No title of the company, name of who the mailbox belonged to just bad vibes all around. I immediatley went to the internet and found your site and started reading away and getting more and more angry as to what happens to those not as fortunate as us that have internet. There has to be away to put a stop to this horrible scam. I am going to call the local television station that maybe can get the word out to others before any more money has been lost. I hope those scammers get exaclty what they have coming to them...CARMA baby CARMA.

• Gr
    grant Nov 10, 2008

Just got a check today I went to the bank before I looked on the internet. It will cost me 10 bucks for the bad check.

• Je
    Jeanette Nov 10, 2008

My fiance' received a check from First Capital Securites, Inc. in the amonut of $4875.00 with cashing instructions. Because I have already heard of this type of scam, I called Camden National Bank in Camden, Maine (the bank information is on the check so I simply googled it for the phone number) and asked for their fraud department. PER THE BANK, THIS IS IN FACT A SCAM! These bogus checks are being investigated by the authorities and we were instructed to destroy the check, which we did immediately.

joan Nov 09, 2008

I too recieved the $4875. realistic looking check. Looked too good to be true. Went on line to see if it was a scam. Thanks to all of you. I will just rip it up. I hope no one falls for this scam.

Martin Nov 08, 2008

I recieved this check as discribed by other but in my wife's name. Everyone needs to file a complaint with the US Postal insepector and the Canadian Postal inspector regarding this fraud. The current economic situation will make the most volnerable people (the elderly) send money with out thinking. Were are these people getting our name and address from. A call to your local news channel should also be done to get the word out. The check looks real.

• Me
    Melani Nov 07, 2008

Yes I did receive the same check today from Canada, but I remember three years ago when my Mother received the same type of check also from Canada, my Mom is now 72, but at the time she was under a lot of stress as my Father had just passed away, so she followed the instructions and cashed it. She even called the number and they congratulated her and it was a young woman that spoke to her, that called herself Jessica Newton. The bank cleared the check too soon, and could have held it an extra week and should have for all checks of this kind, they know that they are fakes, but anyway my Mother had to pay every penny of it back to the bank, and it took three years to do it. I hope this helps others not to be taken in by these people that do not care how much they hurt others.

• Ka
    Kalvin Johnson Nov 07, 2008

I received a check today for 4, 875.00. I call the guy
    and he told me to send 2, 975 for my taxes on 125, 000 winning. I thouhgt this was to good to be true. I went
    to the internet before I did anything, man I glad I did
    because I would have sent my money and got rip off.
    This is a same people do this to other people. I hope
    everyone look into things before acting on it.

• Ni
    nik Nov 07, 2008

oh im in TEXAS and i got my ck and letter today. i was like NO WAY!! i called the lady who advised the same, wow i may have been stupid and done it. glad i looked on internet!! geez some people are jerks.!!

Brenda Nov 07, 2008

I have also received the same check and letter. I knew also that it was too good to be true. I can also see how easy it is for the people to scam others the way they do. I am glad that I was able to look this up here before I did something so stupid. I hope they are not able to get to the elderly or any one else for that matter. Its a real shame that they get away with this!!!

• Ca
    Carol Nov 06, 2008

I too recieved a letter and a check in the amount of 4, 875.00 on 11-5-08. The check definetly looks real . I checked in the BBB for a complaint but there was none but they do have additional info about them stating that they send out counterfiet checks and asking the recipient to send in money to pay taxes before releasing the rest of their winnings. I wondered if anyone contacted the bank in Maine that the check was drawn on ?

• Ca
    Carolyn Nov 06, 2008

Received the same on 11/05. Thinking especially of the elderly and/or those without internet access, I worry how many may be ripped off by this; the check certainly appears real and there is a Camden National bank in Maine. Has anyone contacted the bank to alert them?

• Gi
    Gino Manrique Nov 05, 2008

I received the same letter today and it is a valid check. I already sent an alarm to all my friends.

• Te
    Teresa Anaya Nov 04, 2008

I received the same and yes, of course it is not a valid check. The letter is from Canada, which I am sure makes it harder to trace and prosecute. Never the less, anything that looks too good to be true IS! I reply to this in hopes that someone else who receiveds this letter will do a quick search on the internet to see if it is real. IT'S NOT.
    DO NOT send in money to First Capital Securities Inc. DO NOT try to cash the check drawn on Camden National Bank, 2 Elm St., Camden, ME [protected].