Federal Legislation Of Customer Affairs And Business RegulationTelephone calls about being subject of lawsuit

A

Received phone call this morning at 0907edt March 26, 2011 this call was received on my cell. Was questioned if i was me, and if last 4 digits of ssc# were mine. I had been looking online for a signature loan so these details were available. When i asked what they wanted i was told to call a Jeff Morgan, atty, at [protected], and he would explain why i was being sued, that's not correct, a subject of pending litigation. I told them to forward details via registered mail to my address, they would not. Still have not called Morgan.

More Federal Legislation Of Customer Affairs And Business Regulation Complaints & Reviews

• Sc
    SCAM (786) 398-9367 Jun 06, 2014

I just received a call from [protected]. Man with very heavy indian accent said he was calling from the FBI. After reading all of the comments about others receiving the same calls, I am no longer concerned. It just aggrevates me that people can get away with saying they are from the FBI.

• Un
    unhappy fla gal Oct 04, 2013

I just received a call from [protected] stating that I was being sued and to verify my ssn to discuss further. I asked who they were and the man with a very heavy Indian accent said "District Court". I asked where and he said "Miami". I asked to speak to the so-called attorney. Another man with a heavy Indian accent said he was attorney so & so (sorry, can't recall the name because I was in shock over the call!) I asked why he was calling me and he said I was "involved in a law suit". I pressed for details and he said it would take 15 min to read the affidavit. I then told him to never call my home again because I knew this was a scam because I AM AN ATTORNEY! I then hung up. I am not an attorney, but thought perhaps this might scare them into not ever calling again.

• Ab
    abrak Aug 10, 2013

I got a call from someone with a very thick India sounding accent. He told me my SSN had been used fraudulently to obtain a loan on the internet. After unsuccessful attempts to get payment, I was going to be arrested the following morning by the police and FBI. Told me to call [protected] for more particulars. Called that number and spoke to someone who said his name was Ronnie Cooper and he was an attorney with the Customer Affairs & Business Regulations office in CA. He didn't ask for any personal info, just asked that I have my lawyer call him and he would provide all necessary info. Called my lawyer who said it was a scam and just ignore it. The next day got a call from [protected]. The man asked if I had contacted my lawyer. I told him yes and been advised this is a scam. He again asked that my lawyer call him. I told him no and hung up. Reported this to my local police dept; Phone Busters (a Canadian company that investigates international scammers; the Federal Trade Commission; the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau; the Social Security Dept and the FBI.

Elmarco Jul 18, 2013

funny thing! Waited an hour to call them back and guess what? None of the numbers they used work anymore.

Elmarco Jul 18, 2013

Got a call this morning... actually first call was on 7/03 to my work number. Answered the call this morning and the heavily accented "Daniel" said I had a lawsuit against me and my SSN. Told him to send me the info via mail and hung up... Did some research on the company name and found this site... THANK GOODNESS!. Called them back and started asking them about scams and fraud and at that point "Michael" started getting rude and using profane language at me. Told them I knew it was a scam. He said I was the scammer and I was going to be arrested the next day when the sherrifs come to my office... Advised him that in the country (he said he was in CA btw) we do not have "debtors jail" like they do in his country at which point he became really irrate. "Michael stated, once again, that I was going to go to jail and I just lauged... I have called them back several times asking for registered letter. First they said they would not do that... then they just stopped answering. I will continue to call and harrass them... I will use typical Indian names when talking to them just to raddle their cage... Also thinking about calling them and posing as a police man, or even a lawyer to see what they say.

chellievenellie09 Feb 16, 2013

Haha! Even better! After he hung up, I decided to annoy him and kept calling over and over for over an hour and he finally picked up the last time and said what do you want you ###, and I said I know now for a fact youre not American calling from California cause there is a thing called customer service and laws that you cannot speak to me like this and I also know you are probably sitting somewhere in New Deli or something and he actually admitted to being in Pakistan. He said so what are you gonna do to keep me from calling over and over from different phone numbers, I said I will just keep calling you back over and over like I've done today. He said f*** you and I said have a nice day, call me again and I will make sure to annoy you some more, oh and by the way I am calling my legislator right now about this, and I hung up. This is too funny!

chellievenellie09 Feb 16, 2013

Oh I got that call this morning and I asked the guy if he was from California and he said born and raised and I said that's funny, cause you sound middle eastern not American to me, lol, and he got mad and started being rude, mine came from a Tom Watson and I was supposed to call and speak to a Ronnie Cooper at [protected] at ext 114. I asked for the address and he said it was 1365 Trulavista Way, LA, California. He just kept saying he was not a senior attorney like Mr Cooper and that he didn't have my paperwork that Mr Cooper did and that's why I need to call back to the same number he just called me from. I said wait, so yall are attorneys but and you're in the same building and he said yes, so I asked why he couldn't just transfer me, lol! Again he got mad and became very rude! Then I called back after waiting 5 minutes like he instructed and guess what? He picked up but was now John Anderson. I asked to be transfered to ext 114 to talk to Mr Cooper like I had been instructed and he started asking me for information instead so I told him I said you know it's funny that you sound exactly like Tom Watson and he got angry yet again and said he is in my paralegal office and hung up, lol! What a scam!!

• Ms
    msclark Jan 12, 2013

Got a call a few minutes ago. They called 3 times in a row on a Saturday morning starting at 8am. I never picked up the man left a message and as others stated ended it with "good luck if you do not call back." That sounds like a threat to me but I still didn't call back. He then called 4 more times about an hour later where I eventually picked up and he (heavy accent) mentioned court, sued asked to verify the last four digits of my social and told me to call back a Philip Arter at # [protected] ext 111. I said "you just called me from that number just transfer me over to him." Of course he wouldn't. I was nervous but I didn't let them hear it in my voice because I was also angry that I was even getting these calls. I asked for the name of the company and he said "Federal Legislation of Customer Affairs and Business Regulations." I thankfully googled them and found this. I am going to call back and...I wish them luck if they don't stop calling me. ; )

• Ta
    taedium Jan 03, 2013

I also just got the call this morning, like above. Rather, my mother did, they wanted to talk to my father who was at work, and thank everything my mother woke me up to tell me before they did anything.
    We called the police, reported it to the Federal Trade Commission, and now I plan on trolling the f*** out of them whenever I feel the urge.

I just thought I'd update the details a bit, the number they called from was [protected]. The "attorney's" assistant called himself "Andy Garcia". I've spoken with "Attorney Joe Brown" twice today, and he says he works with a group of attorneys for the "Federal Legislation for Customer Affairs and Regulation"

• Co
    Concerned_Citizen2 Jan 03, 2013

They started calling my home on 3 Jan. 2012. the number they are using is [protected]. How can we get these people to stop calling us. They are claiming to be some sort of law office

• Ki
    Kittora Dec 01, 2012

I received a call this morning from Max Miller [protected] who stated that he represented Cash Advance of America and I have not a clue who they are, he stated I would be arrested at my job on Monday.But it was on Sat.morning, I ask to please send me the information and they have yet to do so!!! When are the going to be stopped.

• Ba
    Barry freidin Jul 10, 2012

An Eric Wilson called 7/10/2012 stating I had 3 lawsuits pending against. Me.
    Wanted to know if I had a lawyer.
    He told me to call Ronnie Cooper at [protected] ext537 and he would explain the situation with me.
    I asked him how he knew my ss# and address and he would not give me an answer.
    I said this sounded strange and he again said to call Ronnie.
    When I called Ronnie he was uncooperative and I told him I was going to report him to the FBI.
    He then said FU-- You twice to me and hung up the phone
    He did answer my call back again and hung up
    Their address supposedly is 315 Austin ave in ca. 78626
    Feels like a scam and should be investigated

• Ut
    utcloud May 21, 2012

I have received this call from a John Walter, that I am to call him at [protected] or a Sheriff will be at my home TOMORROW (5/22/12).

• Ky
    Kysha May 11, 2012

I too have received many phone calls at work. I immediately knew that it was fake. The name he used was Derek Peterson and he clearly had a foreign accent. He referred me to Max Chambers [protected]. WOW! That name sounds like it's from a video game. The company name that they are using is Customer Affairs and Business Regulations. If you have gotten any type of pay day advance loan, expect the calls to follow shortly after. DON'T PAY THEM ANYTHING! DON'T LET THEM SCARE YOU! I just keep calling them the way that they call me. Eventually, they stop answering their phones and it goes directly to voice mail. I'm going to keep calling them as long as they keep calling me...I have as much time as they do.

• Qu
    Queene Mar 10, 2012

I won't go into telling my story since it is the same as others. I wanted to give an update on the phone number they are now using... [protected]. Be aware of anyone calling you about legal matters without proper paperwork!!!

• Ms
    msdi Feb 13, 2012

I have been receiving similar phone calls for over a month now after applying on-line for a small loan. (I did get the loan and paid it back within two weeks - it was from a company that has nothing to do with the Federal Legislation of Customer Affairs and Business group that these callers claim to represent - and is that a ridiculous name or what?) I am continually being told that there are lawsuits filed against me and that I am about to be arrested, etc. These people all have foreign accents (sounds Indian, or similar) and are difficult to understand. They do not let you get a word in edgewise and will not give you their address - my caller today said he's in California. He claimed to be a paralegal and said that I need to call the attorney, Ronnie Cooper at [protected]. I have no intention of doing so. I want to report this to an Attorney General but do not know of which state - maybe Federal? Any ideas?

• Kj
    K. Jones-Lane Feb 08, 2012

I just received a call from "Rick Johnson" and his accent was extremely heavy. The only thing he left on my answering machine was that 3 criminal charges had been filed against me. The calls came from a 707 number and they called. left a message, and called back again. I only listened to the message, I have not taken any further steps yet. Luckily, after playing the message back 3 times I was able to understand the "Federal Legislation of customer affairs and business regulations" title. I am not sure of my next step but they have not called me back yet. I am SO glad I googled that name because, just like others on here, I began to panic and wonder what I had done to have criminal charges pressed against me. I want to call my banking institutions bit since I have no information, I don't know what I would tell my bank. I will continue to check my accounts daily and if I need to change the numbers, I will. Thank you for all of your comments and experiences, I will follow suit and file a complaint...let's get these sickos caught and arrested for the harassment they are causing!

• St
    stressedoutgirl Jan 18, 2012

I recieved a threatening phone call from an unknown man who wpuld state his name he said i was being sued and 3 criminal felony charges would be brought up against me i know this is a scam because i did apply for a loan but i did not get approved so i just left it alone he said i recieved the money and never paid back but that is a lie because i check my bank account every day & no one else can put money in it besides me not even my job im glad i researched this every person who put a complaint listed the phone number and i have gotten a call from every one of these number the latest number that has called.me is [protected] im tires of these calls what should i do?

Elizabethmor Jan 09, 2012

haha Just happend to me now. I was scared, But since he had a middle eastern accident. The first thing that popped up on my mind. Was a Scam!! lol.. After reading everyone's comments. Ive decided to call him back and give him a piece of my mind. He hung up on me, So called " David Cooper".. lol...

I wish i knew where they were. Punch them right in the face!!!

• Ke
    Keshiad Nov 30, 2011

I got call this morning from a Tommy Wright. It said that I was being sued and I should call Attorney Byron Jones so he could tell me who was suing me and why. I did not call Mr. Jones, but he called me. While I was on the phone with him, someone was beeping in on my other line from the same number. I knew then that something was not right. Mr. Jones preceded to tell me that I was being charged with Grand Theft, and Check Fraud. When I asked who was suing me and when did i get this money. He said that he did not have that information in front of him. So when I asked him why he do not have that information, he hung up on me. I called him back and he started cussing and screaming at me. He threaten to call my job and tell my employers about this and he said that the police would be coming to my job and my home to arrest me. I went to whitepages.com and looked up the number that he called me from which was [protected]; only to find out that it was a phone in Lake Forest California. I also looked up the name Byron Jones and that name belong to a 50 year old man. I know that this Byron Jones and Tommy Wright are foreigners using American Names. This is very disturbing, and upsetting. I know that I have not heard the last of them.

• Da
    daveparker Nov 03, 2011

Same thing have happened to me today, i got a phone call from someone that claimed to be paralegal "he had heavy Indian accent". He told me that i have been sued for 3 criminal charges. When i asked about the details, he told me i need to call David Copper or Robin Ruse at [protected] or [protected]. I know that claimed paralegal identified me by my work phone No. and by my SSN. He asked me to give my work phone No. to the Copper guy. When i called the copper office as he claimed, someone replied and told me the charges and he told me that this is warrant and i'll be getting arrested at 1 p.m, if i didn't get the lawsuit resolved. When i asked about how it would be resolved and that someone has stolen my identity. He said that they don't care and i'm still responsible about paying what is owed or i'll get arrested. When i went to the police station and explained what is going on, and since i have filled a police report at the middle of month about identity theft, they told me that it sounded like scam, and they asked me to call the loan company, that i know off. After i did, they informed that no one of them have contacted any lawyers for my matter nor they will since i claimed that my identity has been stolen. You know what, those scammers that are doing thing are completely sick honestly.

• Ka
    Kailawh Sep 01, 2011

Thank god I found this under google, because these people really had my heart in my throat this morning when they called me, and left the message on my phone wishing me luck if i didnt call them back. i stupidly enough faxed the paper over, but they called me back saying that I needed to resend it because my picture wasnt clear. After that I called my mother freaking out, because I had no idea what I was going to do!! She told me to call back and ask when the money was "supposedly deposited into my back account, and when I did he told me that he couldnt give me the date until after I paid the payment. I am so glad that I had people telling me it was a scam, and that I found this website, because I would have been stupid enough to send it, because I didnt want issues at my job. I am in the process now of calling the cops out to my house to make a report or this, because it is ridicilous, and horrible that these people think it is okay to try, and do these things to people. I am never shopping online again!!! Thanks to whoever started this!!

• Tg
    TG27 Aug 27, 2011

What a scare tatic these monsterous people use. How can we report them to somenone that will actually shut them down. My wife recieved a call from Paralegal Roy King from "Federal Legislation of Customer Affairs and Business Regulations." He stated she was being sued and that we would need to contact the lead attorneys on the case for further information. We then called to speak with David Cooper, who provide us with minimal information as it reales to being sued. He stated we only had one hour to submit a payment of $552.39 and that it had to be on a Pre-Paid Visa Card and if we did not comply then my wife would be arrested by 10 am the next day. David then called us back moments later to state that he could accept a partial payment of $300 and the balance could be paid on her next pay date. So my wife and started thinking first of all we do not owe any pay day loans in default, nor have we received any document via email or fax from Insta CASH. We have not received voicemail, text message no communcation prior to receiving this call from Roy King. So we called David back to inquire the companies name and phone number so we can contact them directly regarding this matter. To no surprise he could not produce this information and he became irrate and hung up the phone. I called back and told David that I will have my attorney to call him back to discuss this matter, he then stated there is no need to have my attorney contact him and he hung uo the phone again. What a stupid and ridiculous way to scam innocent people out of money. This organization should be brought before a JUDUCIAL SYSTEM TRIED AND SENTENCED AND JAILED. NOT TOO MENTIONMAKE RESTITUTION TO THE MANY OF INDIVIDUALS THEY HAVE CAUSED ANGUISE. THIS IS A COMPLETE SCAM.

• Ro
    Robi1 Aug 25, 2011

Same thing with me, everything I have read has happened to me exactly the same, I only wish I had researched sooner, I spent a couple of frantic days trying to verify with my bank if money had ever been deposited from this company, when I knew I had never done a pay-day loan online. I have also filed complaints with MI Attorney General and the ic3.

jayd73 Jul 11, 2011

I recieved numerous calls at work from this company, it is a major scam. The information I received from them mirrored the information relayed in this post, however, I am actually a paralegal student who is planning on practicing law. I have a lawyer who mentors me and I brought this to her attention. Some questions to ask if they call you and attempt to throw legal jargon at you:
    Ask for the case number: a filed case has a case number and the affidavit is attached to the courts judgment. Second ask where the attorney is licensed to practice law and ask for the attorneys bar number, I was told the attorneys name was Charles Williams and he is licended to practice law in California, I was told his Bar No is 1c2369 (this number does not exist, there are several Charles Williams in CA some are deceased others are no longer licensed.). Third as what US Code they are citing in their case, they told me US Code 1960A. Look the U.S. Code up online it is not a legitimate code to file this time of civil suit under. Keep in mind this type of case would be a civil suit not criminal. Do Not submit any $ to this company and be sure to file a complaint with your attorney general. Even though they may not do anything right away if enough people file, they will investigate.
    Just because they know some specifics about your do not allow yourself to fall victim to scammers. I presented these questions to them upon speaking with my mentor I was hung up on and told to shut up repeatedly. Show them you are wiser and proactive in protecting your finances.

• Pa
    pat88 May 07, 2011

Thank God I decided to research it before i did anything, they called me today. At home and at work. First by a Jim Smith that had a terrible accent. I couldn't understand the message. I called back and talked to Nathan Price spoke decent english but still has an accent. Then i talked to James Peterson to get more info and he said that the law office of Federal legistaltion of Customer affairs is located in Washington but they are the paralegals in california. I did ask for addresses and he could not give them to me. The same thing for me to write a letter admitting i owed the money and to put my credit card info and a copy of my license. I almost did it. But did not.

• Do
    donna-iowa May 01, 2011

I got two calls on my cell phone on Thursday morning around 10:50am, the second call they left a message. I was at work and since I did not answer my cell phone, they called me at work. And just like others they said is your name ________ ___________ and the last four of your social __ __ __ __. When I said yes, the first question was what is your lawyers name and contact information. When I asked him why and what is this about, he told me that I was being sued and he told me to call [protected] and told me to talk to a David Cooper or a Robin Rose and they would explain everything. I called them back around 11:45 am and neither David or Robin were available, so they connected me with a guy by the names of James Peterson. When the first guy called me at work, i had a hard time understanding him, cause he had a strong Middle East or India accent, just like other people of talked about. So when he gave me an American name, I thought good at least I will be able to understand them, to find out what is going on. Of course like everyone else, I did not talked to anyone whom spoke good English at all. James told me that I was being sued by a place called USA cash, and when I asked him when I supposly got the money and how much, he told me that he did not know, that it was all in the court papers. He told me that if I didnot pay them $100.00 by four that afternoon, that he was sending it to be filed at the courthouse and then on Monday morning, someone would be at my job, to arrest me for theft and two other charges, all having to do with theft. They knew my name, address, ssn, email address, cell phone and work numbers, bank account information and everything. So dumb me I thought it was real and set it up for them to take the money out. They then had me write a letter to a Roy King, explaining the amount owed and exactly how I was going to repay it within the next two paychecks. Yeah I fell for it hook line and sinker. But I did not want anyone coming to my job, since I work for a doctors office, along with the fact that I just applied for a job with the government, and did not want to have a theft charge on there when they did a back ground check. I have never been in trouble with the law, and don't want to start now. Anyhow on Saturday, I called them back and asked them again what the name of the company was I got money from, they changed the name to easycash.usa. Then when I tried to find it on the internet and could not find anything, I called them again and asked them why can't I find them, they gave me in excuse that they go under several other names. So then I googled the company that was calling me and found this page. So I once again called them back again and talked to James, and asked him to send me a simple piece of paper on company letterhead, and address on it, so that I knew that this was a real company. He immediately started getting defensive and started threating me that he was just going to call the court house and have me served and trying to tell me that all the phone calls went directly to the courthouse and were recorded. I said really you are getting the upset over a piece of paper. He refused to send me anything, saying that they don't send those kind of things to people, so I said will so if I get a lawyer, then you will send it to him, and he said no. I called my bank and told them what was going on and they said that they had already authorized the first payment, so I they cancelled my debit card, and told me that I would have to come into the bank on Monday and apply to get a new one, which I am going to do and I am also changing my account number there also, since they have it also. I then told them that I was on my way to the police department here to report it and they told me to bring them a case number and they would refund the money back to me since it is a fraud. The police department, took all the information from me, and one of the officers told me that he was going to call them and rattle there cage. He also told me that they could not have me arrested for theft, cause if I had gotten money from them, they would have a contract and that makes it a civil matter, not a criminal matter. The police department did call me back, and he said the first time he called, he told them that he was from the police department, and they said "police" and hung up. So he called back from another number and tried to trace the call, and when he could not get a trace on it, he told them that if they ever contacted me again that they would be arrested and charge with harrassment, and once again when he said he was with the police department, they hung up. So he called me and said this is defintley a scam. I plan on contacting the Attorney Generals Office here in Iowa also. I learned a hard lesson and hope these guys get caught soon.
    Donna-Iowa

• Yv
    yvaughan Apr 29, 2011

[protected] I had a call just 1 hour ago, they left a voicemail message asking for me or my attorney of record to call them back and if i did not contact them they wish me luck in what was about to happen to me with a lawsuit. i called them back and another gentleman answered the phone. he could not get the gentleman a mr miller to the phone but he could tell me i was being sued for taking out a cash advance loan and not paying it back. they claimed the advancer attempted to deduct the loan and fee from my bank account and were unable to. they also claimed that the lender emailed me several times and when i did not respond they charged off the loan but took a lawsit out against me. they could not tell me who the lender was. i told them they were mistaken.i know whom i have borrowed from and know who i have paid off and still paying on. they told me they had only one hour before they had to file the papers for the suit at courts. i asked them who the lender was and they told me they could not say. i asked when this loan was supposed to have done.he could only tell me that supposedly they charged off account in dec 2010. i again told him he was mistaken. he told me that was fine. there would be a sherriff at my place of employemtn to inform my employer of what i had done and to serve papers on me for the lawsuit. he said i was being sued for a violation of commerce?something about getting a loan without collateral and theft by deception. i told them they were mistaken.i know who i owe and who i dont.they wished me good luck.an hour later that number rung my phone again. i phoned them back and the heavily accented man told me his name was david and he was an attorney and the business was closing at that time and i would call him back the next day. i was so worried i went back and checked my checking account statements for the last year and a half. what a waste of my evening. the number they used to call me was [protected] which is out of los angeles, ca. but surprisingly according to phone company they were not able to find a name associated with that number. hmmmmm

manthony12303 Apr 27, 2011

Oh and when I asked for their address so I could "send a payment" (I just said this so I could get their address), he said, you make a payment over the phone. I said, "I don't want to do it that way. I want to mail it in." He said, "I can not give you the address." I said, "Fax or email me the paperwork to my files and how you gave me the money." He said, "The paperwork is not complete and what may have happened is identity theft and that the money was loaded on someone else's credit card." I said, "So you gave ME a loan but put in on SOMEONE ELSE'S credit card?!" That makes no sense. I have never taken a loan from any company except for my car and a student loan. These people are such scam artists and I want to know how to report them.

manthony12303 Apr 27, 2011

It is 4/27/11 and I just talked to someone supposedly suing me for a loan I never took out but that they say I did! Isn't this illegal for them to call people and do this? I mean, what if they get some poor schmuck who doesn't know it's a scam and they pay these cons a payment based on a loan they never took out?? How do I report these people and what do I do???

• Ac
    Acme723 Apr 22, 2011

I like the idea of calling them back, but maybe we should forward the recorded calls to the state attorneys office, if they were stupid enough to leave a voice message.

• Ta
    Tamron Apr 22, 2011

David Cooper, Ronald Cooper, and also Federal Agent Scott have been calling my coworker on her cell for weeks...she finally started calling them back. She figured if they can harrass her, then she shouls be able to harrass them right back. She has unlimited free long distance on her cell anyway, so now throuout the day she calls them randomly, and sometimes repeatedly. In fact, any time someone frustrates her, she calls and takes it out on the scammers. EVERYONE SHOULD DO THIS!!! GIVE THEM A TASTE OF THEIR OWN MEDICINE!!!

• Gl
    GladysS Apr 21, 2011

I just the same exact thing from a "Richard Parker." All of them with American names and very strong accent from the Middle East or India. He would not e-mail me, send me any information and no proof that money was deposited in my account. He said that he's "not allwed to do that." So, he said a Sheriff will be at my place of employment on Tuesday and if I'm not there, the Sheriff will come to my home.

• Du
    Durhamc Apr 21, 2011

Was called on April 21 2011 the same way. They have all your personal information. It turns out they are fraudulent. If you have used your credit card on line for any reason or applied for anything on line, they have access to all of your information. I was told to contact David Cooper at [protected]. They would not mail me any information regarding this so called law suite