Family Dollar Stores / the manager was harassing me and told me I couldn't get the security tag taken off or a refund without the receipt.

Ni Jul 24, 2019 Review updated:

I went in to family dollar today after my daughter's dentist appointment. I needed to buy her some medicine for her pain. I also went in to have a security tag taken off of a dress that I had bought her. I didn't realize the cashier didn't take it off until I was getting ready to put it on my daughter. She said mommy this plastic thing is still on here. I walked in the store up to the register and it was the same girl that had checked me out previously. I told them I needed to have it removed. The store manager Keith asked if I had the receipt. I told him no, but I do have another receipt of the same time I purchased this because it was two different transactions. I was like could you pull it up by my card, look at the cameras to see that I actually bought it, or is there a ways to find the receipt that I bought the item. He told me No! He then said I couldn't get a return without the receipt. He kept saying it over and over, he even went so far as to I guess pull up the store policy. He had what looked to be the pricing gun to show the cashier he said what does this states, no return without a receipt or a exchange. I asked him for corporate number. He gave me 804-626-1978. My phone was dead so I couldn't dial them right away. I said thanks the cashier gave me receipt paper to write the number on. I wrote it down and told my daughter to let's go. She's only 5. We walked out and we were heading to my car to leave. I exit the store and I noticed that the manager Keith had followed us outside. I got my key out to unlocked my door he was saying words. I told him to stop harassing me. He kept talking and I kept telling him why did he follow me outside and to stop harassing me. I kept telling him to stop harassing me over and over and over and over. My daughter was looking and him and was looking very very scared. I was scared because I didn't know what was on his mind. I was so scared to be followed outside and then to have my young daughter with me. He was acting deranged and psychotic. I was scared because he stood there looking like he was going to attack me in front of my daughter. I finally told that my brother worked for the secret service . After me say that he then that's when he dialed on the store phone and I heard he say something about taking a picture of me or pull up a picture of me. I told him he shouldn't be outside the store harassing me . He also told me to never come back to that store again. I was so confused at what had happened. I didn't do anything wrong. I am a store supervisor so I know what customer service suppose to be like and how customers should be treated. I was terrified and for my young daughter to have to witness this was so unprofessional. She was already feeling bad and to witness this nonsense. He stood outside and watch me leave. I didn't not I am a loyal customer. I shop at family dollar all the time. I purchase everything at family dollar. I was going to take a picture of him harassing me and following my daughter and I outside but my phone had went dead at the dentist office. I will never go back to that family dollar ever again. I am still scared it looked as if he was getting my tag number. I uploaded another receipt of the purchase I made before I purchased the dress. The dress was only $4 I believe. It is a turquoise dress with flamingos on it. The buzzer didn't go off when I purchased it and when I took it back in the store today. So, when I first purchased it that's why I never noticed it still being on there because I hung it up in her closet.

• Updated by Nicc87, Jul 24, 2019

I went in to family dollar today after my daughter's dentist appointment. I needed to buy her some medicine for her pain. I also went in to have a security tag taken off of a dress that I had bought her. I didn't realize the cashier didn't take it off until I was getting ready to put it on my daughter. She said mommy this plastic thing is still on here. I walked in the store up to the register and it was the same girl that had checked me out previously. I told them I needed to have it removed. The store manager Keith asked if I had the receipt. I told him no, but I do have another receipt of the same time I purchased this because it was two different transactions. I was like could you pull it up by my card, look at the cameras to see that I actually bought it, or is there a ways to find the receipt that I bought the item. He told me No! He then said I couldn't get a return without the receipt. He kept saying it over and over, he even went so far as to I guess pull up the store policy. He had what looked to be the pricing gun to show the cashier he said what does this states, no return without a receipt or a exchange. I asked him for corporate number. He gave me [protected]. My phone was dead so I couldn't dial them right away. I said thanks the cashier gave me receipt paper to write the number on. I wrote it down and told my daughter to let's go. She's only 5. We walked out and we were heading to my car to leave. I exit the store and I noticed that the manager Keith had followed us outside. I got my key out to unlocked my door he was saying words. I told him to stop harassing me. He kept talking and I kept telling him why did he follow me outside and to stop harassing me. I kept telling him to stop harassing me over and over and over and over. My daughter was looking and him and was looking very very scared. I was scared because I didn't know what was on his mind. I was so scared to be followed outside and then to have my young daughter with me. He was acting deranged and psychotic. I was scared because he stood there looking like he was going to attack me in front of my daughter. I finally told that my brother worked for the secret service . After me say that he then that's when he dialed on the store phone and I heard he say something about taking a picture of me or pull up a picture of me. I told him he shouldn't be outside the store harassing me . He also told me to never come back to that store again. I was so confused at what had happened. I didn't do anything wrong. I am a store supervisor so I know what customer service suppose to be like and how customers should be treated. I was terrified and for my young daughter to have to witness this was so unprofessional. She was already feeling bad and to witness this nonsense. He stood oustide and watch me leave. I didn't not I am a loyal customer. I shop at family dollar all the time. I purchase everything at family dollar. I was going to take a picture of him harassing me and following my daughter and I outside but my phone had went dead at the dentist office. I will never go back to that family dollar ever again. I am still scared it looked as if he was getting my tag number. I uploaded another receipt of the purchase I made before I purchased the dress. The dress was only $4 I believe. It is a turquoise dress with flamingos on it. The buzzer didn't go off when I purchased it and when I took it back in the store today. So, when I first purchased it that's why I never noticed it still being on there bc I hung it up in her closet.

Comments

•   Jul 24, 2019

Common sense says not to return something with a security tag on it and no receipt. It appears that you’d have stolen it.

Jul 25, 2019

@SubSquirrel I don't steal. I buy my daughter dresses at family dollar all the time. I see what you're saying but I told him to look up my receipt even look on the camera he refused to be helpful or nice. Stereotyped me I never stolen anything in my life.

•   Jul 25, 2019

@Nicc87 She didn't say you stole it. She said that without the receipt and the fact that the security tag was still on it, it APPEARS as if you stole it. Seriously, you thought you would be free and clear with this??? Nope. So I can just waltz into a store with a stolen dress whine about how I bought it here, have no receipt but take the tag off anyway and people will listen????

You need the receipt.

As simple as that.

Or buy clothes at stores where they don't have those tags, usually.

Jul 26, 2019

@SubSquirrel So I'm just suppose to keep the dress and her not wear it. Get off my post please good day!

•   Jul 26, 2019

@Nicc87 This is a public forum. Create a blog if you don't want the truth be told.

•   Jul 26, 2019

@Nicc87 Stop saying stereotype. You sound like you are looking for a race war. Which you will lose because we can't stand Al Sharptons.

Jul 26, 2019

@Um is not an answer! Get off my post! The tag was on it

Jul 26, 2019

@Um is not an answer! What a racist remark!

•   Jul 26, 2019

@Nicc87 No, you're racist for saying stereotype. Only people who emulate the stereotype they say they hate are racist.

•   Jul 26, 2019

@Nicc87 Get off this free forum and create a blog!

Tag means nothing in terms of proof of purchase.

Jul 26, 2019

@Um is not an answer! I'm praying for you hard!

•   Jul 26, 2019

@Nicc87 Pray for brains instead.

•   Jul 25, 2019

So when you first "bought" the dress you didn't say, remove the clunky thing please? The security scanners didn't go wild when you tried to leave? No person of authority ran after you upon leaving??
    The security scanners didn't go wild when you came back to the store?????

This all sounds like an intricate bank robbery movie.

Jul 26, 2019

@Um is not an answer! Nope. That's why I never noticed it . It left the store and went in the closet. Hung it up . Put it in her and she says mommy what's this ...

•   Jul 26, 2019

@Nicc87 It went IN her????

See why we have a problem?

Jul 26, 2019

@Um is not an answer! Closer. The problem is you being on my post with negative crap.

@Nicc87 C L O S E T.

Proofreading is fundamental.

•   Jul 26, 2019

@Nicc87 What negative crap? So by your standards there's such a thing as POSITIVE crap???

Without the receipt you are screwed. Any police officer would tell you this. Any lawyer would tell you this.

•   Jul 30, 2019

@SubSquirrel "I put it IN her"

!!!

•   Jul 26, 2019

I'm trying to see things from your perspective but I don't think I can get my head that far up my ass.

Aug 16, 2019

Sometimes the sensors are duds so they dont ring when you pass through.. However, if you had a receipt from the same day around the same transaction they could have pulled the previous transaction by the transaction number. We unfortunately can't look it up by the card, but you having the card that shows on the receipt they pull would prove you didn't take it. It has to be done on the same register the purchase was made from though and be close to the same transaction. It can be a lengthy process, which is why they probably didn't want to do it

•   Aug 16, 2019

@FDSM3515 but she had no receipt of the dress although she had a receipt from the same time/different transaction. there was no way to cross reference this.

Aug 16, 2019

She said the transactions were done separately but on the same day, so I'm assuming consecutively, or at least near. The receipt she DID have has a transaction number, if you look up that transaction you can also pull all the surrounding transactions and match the last four of her card to verify it was her purchase

•   Aug 16, 2019

@FDSM3515 sure but judging by her reaction here I think they were not willing to go that extra mile because of her attitude towards 'those below her'.

Aug 16, 2019

Like I said, its a lengthy process and a lot of people don't like to do it but I try my best to satisfy my customers because I want them to come back. And while it may seem like 1 customer; 1 customer tells another, who tells another and another and so on, then you lost x amou t of customers because you ASSumed 1 person stole something with no valid proof. If they really stole it I don't think they'd be wasting the time to complain about it on a forum

•   Aug 16, 2019

@FDSM3515 about 85 percent of the complaints are from people who are secretly guilty but refuse to admit it. and receipts are the valid proof.

I didn't assume she stole it. all ive been saying is that without the receipt as proof she's kind of dead in the water. she didn't even say if she asked the young adult who cashiered her if she remembers her just the other day. she gave us like ten photos of the other receipt which proves nothing.

all she had to do was explain herself calmly, politely and non confrontationally and she would have been helped. there was no reason for her to mention her brother's profession [which is laughable at this]. her attitude on here is a mirror into her attitude on this occasion and the reason why she was being harassed.

we have had this happen to us when we were growing up. my father was able to remove it without the ink spilling out. I am trying to look up past posts but I remember advising someone in a similar situation to either return to the store or see if the police station could help if the store was nowhere near [like if you visited the regional store you bought it on vacation].

Aug 16, 2019

I wasn't saying YOU assumed. The associates did. They didn't even try, or explain themselves, other than the manager repeating the same phrase like a child. This is only her side of the story but she did TRY to resolve her issue with the receipt that she did have. But now whoever sees this knows it IS possible

•   Aug 16, 2019

@FDSM3515 The associates should not have to explain anti theft devices to the general public. And the op didn't politely explain her situation.

Aug 16, 2019

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree

•   Aug 17, 2019

@FDSM3515 I give you credit for being polite.

We hear one side of a story that is often made up or favors the OP. It’s not easy to comment at times because the complaint is not described well or the OP claims are unreasonable. Store clerks who hit customers, short-change customers and ignore people based on race.