Family Dollar Storescheckout cashier

I ran in to get a couple of packs of taco seasoning. The cashier had on a Bluetooth headset talking to someone about an unknown sister that had made contact with her as she checked out customers. (Drama customers should not have to listen to.) I handed her a $20 that she laid on the counter and marked with a marker of some type. Since it was $3.17 I thought I would see if I had change rather than her having to count out change. It's difficult to get change out of my wallet so I placed my loose change on the counter and separated seventeen cents. I picked up my other change to put back in my wallet and she stated, "Pick it up and hand it to me, please." And I looked up, surprised with a "What?" Her reply, "Pick it up and hand it to me." To which I stated, " You have your pay." She did hand me my $17 with a parting, "I would not do you that way." And I'm thinking, what way? Is there a rule that money must be placed in the cashier's hand. If so, please post it.

Ja
Oct 05, 2019

Comments

• Km
      Oct 05, 2019

No, there is no rules that you have to place the money in the cashier's hand, and most prefer the coins being placed on the counter for easy counting especially when a customer pays with a large number of coins. I wouldn't take it personally though I know shopping a small format retailer I'm likely to be around unstable people, just be aware in case they try to attack you for breathing the wrong way.

• Th
      Oct 06, 2019

@Kmart 9459 No they’re no rules per se, but it’s just good manners to give payment to a cashier’s hand not thrown in the counter. I love seen some of your posts and you say you’ve worked retail or whatever but you seem quite clueless.

• Km
      Oct 08, 2019

@TheManager I may seem clueless sometimes and perhaps I am, but sometimes I may just see a post as fake and put forth a narrative that may seem clueless just to get a reaction I can use to confirm whether or not the post is fake. Sometimes placing myself in different jobs, social classes, neighbourhoods helps the narrative. The only thing I will say is actually true is I am a manager in retail for 10 years, which is why I follow this website. I want to read all the obscure and absurd complaints and try to see if their is a better way to handle these scenarios, sometimes even my replies are simply a test to see if a potential idea is something worth going forward with.