Enterprise Rental Car — scratch scam
I believe I got hit with the standard dent scam from these people. I rented a car for one day to go to a race where the car was parked in a field. I turned down their insurance, and the car they rented me was a ratty Mitsubishi Lancer with a hole completely through the floorboard carpeting, down to the metal floorboard.
I made the mistake of dropping the car off 1 hr before the branch opened - dents to the hood and the roof were noted by staff at their Hamden office. I thought this was highly unlikely, if anything was there this had to be pre-existing - but I was willing to entertain the possibility, and at least if they showed me the damage, then I figured they had me and I probably couldn't argue with them. I got the notice of a claim 2 days after I returned the car.
Happily for Enterprise the car was always rented as soon as I got their claim letter. Then the car turned out to be at the body shop. Their claims person was pathologically unable to return a phone call or a letter. She also appeared not to be able to respond to the Amex insurance people who tried to contact her about my supplemental primary insurance. She did manage to mail me a letter where she seemed surprised I hadn't paid, despite her apparent refusal to contact the insurance company. She finally sent documents which showed the car went to the body shop weeks after the incident, weeks after they told me the repairs happened. They never produced pictures or documentation other than a body shop bill.
I can not overstate what a bush league operation this is. Their shadiness and reluctance to provide any documentation of actual physical damage is quite damning in my eyes. Their inability to respond in a professional manner or acknowledge my complaint at all is quite demonstrative of their dedication to customer service. That Amex insurance was the best $20 I spent for a rental day as it saved me over $1000.
I will not do business with Enterprise again, and I will continue my Amex insurance plan. I will also start taking pictures when I pick up and drop off the car, and mark off defects on every surface of the car possible before I leave. If this is the way they want to play, I'm game. Stay away from these people if you can.
More Enterprise Rental Car Complaints & Reviews
- Enterprise Rent A Car - deposit refund
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car - toll violation and $15 admin fee b/c no one returns phone call
- Enterprise Rent A Car - misleading, smoking policy, pick up,& drop off time
- Damage Recovery Unit For Enterprise Rental Car - Billing for damage that is not responsibility
- Enterprise Rent A Car - false damage claim
- Enterprise Car Rental - damage claim
- Enterprise Car Rental - odor in car
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car - fraudulent damage claim
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car - rental/discrimination
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car - outrageous billing, false damage claims