Energy Audit USAFraud and cheating

S

A telephone call offered a free home energy audit supported by APS and SRP. When I asked if it was the utility companies (APS and SRP are our local utility companies), the woman on the telephone replied, 'Yes, the utility companies, APS and SRP.'

This began a series of unfortunate events, as yet unresolved. Instead of hanging up the telephone as I should have, I arranged for a representative to visit and conduct a no-charge energy audit of our home. After all it was free of charge and 'sponsored by APS and SRP' how could this be a bad thing. The utility companies are always doing community service projects and encouraging green thinking, so this seemed consistent with past projects. Wrong!

The representative called and visited the next day. He forgot his card, we were feeling poorly coming down with flu-like symptoms, and he was very smooth. All these events were designed to take our money and that is why I am posting this report. I don't want someone else to be a victim and feel taken to the cleaners. I am loosing sleep, fearing retaliation, feeling humiliated and worried that someone else might find themselves in our circumstances. I don't know if the subcontractors are in on these plans, I rather suspect not.

When we finally received a business card from the representative some time later, my husband had already signed a contract with them. On the reverse side of his card was Arizona Power Savers (APS), (the utility APS is Arizona Public Service Company). SRP the utility company stands for Salt River Project, on the card SRP short for Solar Reliant Power. I didn't feel well and almost didn't turn the card over. How often do you look at the back of someone's business card?

I called SRP customer service number, and they had never heard of America's Best Home Pros, and had their own home energy audit team. What a mess. There are a few other issues, things they did wrong, but I really want to stop people from falling for the same telephone call. I hope this is enough information to alert all of you to be smarter than we were.

• I'm sorry to hear of your 'unfortunate events' with the energy audit company, Sally. Unfortunately, because of all the emphasis on green jobs and energy efficiency now, there are a lot of unscrupulous people trying to make rip people off. I just wrote an article about the topic of scams in the field of training for energy auditors, which you can read at http://bit.ly/cUUew1, and found your story here as a result.

There are plenty of good home energy auditors and home energy raters out there. If you hire someone for an energy audit or rating, make sure you get someone who has either RESNET or BPI certification. Those are really the only two legitimate certifications because there's a rigorous training and certification process as well as quality assurance after they're certified.

Allison A. Bailes III, PhD

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices