Empire DirectAvoid at all costs

S

I was relieved to find this website as it has allowed me the opportunity for some redress against Empire Direct for their shocking customer service.

I ordered and paid for a Miele Automatic-TT5000 on 20th November 2007. The website quotes 7-10 days (which we have since found out that it always does if out of stock, whatever the anticipated delivery time). On the 7th December I had not heard from them so I rang to be told that the order ‘had not transferred across’, and they re-ordered it for me under a different reference number.

On 2nd January I had heard nothing and spoke to Matthew Dean who said that he or Emma would ring back the following Monday or Tuesday. I did not receive a call.

A friend of ours, unfortunately on our recommendation, ordered exactly the same vacuum cleaner from them on 26th November and received it on 31st December. So, whilst their order took 5 weeks, they ordered it after us and received it before us. They also had the same experience of ringing up to be told they would be contacted within a day or two, but no call materialised.

Empire Diret say says that ‘… should there any problem with … our estimated delivery times … we will contact you…’.

During these 9 weeks since I orderd the vacuum cleaner I twice contacted Miele UK, who informed me on the first occasion that they had 700 of these items in stock, on the second occasion 500, so you do not have the excuse that the item was out of stock at the manufacturers.

On 11th January I wrote a letter of complaint which I sent recorded delivery. Today is 21st January and we have not had a reply, or a vacuum cleaner.

Thus, 9 weeks on, I still have no idea as to when they will fulfil this order. And to rub salt into the wounds I have just checked their website and the item is in stock! One of the most annoying things is having to wait 15 mins on an 0870 number to speak to their Customer (lack of) Service Department.

Empire Direct's customer service is quite simply the worst I have come across. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM.