Empire Carpetsales rep

My name is Raymond Delien,

I responded to the TV adds about the Empire carpet 60% off sale. We thought it was great timing because we just bought our first house and everything happened in time to take advatnage of the sale.

The sales guy comes in and brings samples and we picked which ones we wanted. He measured the rooms and then gave us a quote for 1400.00, for two rooms, 14x14 and 11x15.
I advised that the amount seemed like allot for two rooms, bur sister had a local installer (who did a great job) do her entire house with the best carpet pad that money can buy for 3000.00 and two of the rooms were carpeted with premium carpet, and if this was 60% off then the cost for these two rooms without the sale would be $2, 900.00 which is preposterous. I advised that it did not feel like 60% off. He said that we weren't taking advantage of that sale because if we did he would have to itemize everything, but since we are just taking a price from him then he didn’t have to itemize the tack strips etc, and did not have to charge us for anything extra. The guy was scribbling all over this sheet of paper that was supposidly my "quote" and I did not understand any off the costs. Also he told us that the installers are not on sale and I still had to pay full price for them. The commercial leaves that part out. I had planned on having someone else come out and give me another quote anyway so I accepted his offer. He advised that the 50.00 deposit that I gave was fully refundable.

After speaking with some other people who have recently had carpet installed, I decided not to do the instalation. I called back to cancel the order, and was told that I needed to have my order number to cancel it. I did not have that with me and therefore I could not cancel. I adivsed that I would call later to cancel. Even though the customer service rep that I spoke with did not ask why I was canceling, I volunteered the information. I advised that the sales guy was all over the place with the numbers, and the cost did not make sense to me, that his measurements seemed high, and I did not feel comfortable with the fast paced measure/quote process. The customer service rep simply said "well call back when you have an order number and you can cancel". No apologies were offered, and no attempt was made to retain my business.

We had the same local installer who did our sisters carpet come out and give us a quote, the quote was for 800.00. We picked the same carpet and a premium pad. The only downside is that we have to wait a week for the installation. But because we will already be moved into the property by then he said he will move all of our furniture for free to make up for it.

RESOLVED

• Updated by Company Response · May 11, 2009

Thank you for bringing your installation experience to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience, and our team would like to work with you to explore a resolution. Please contact us at [protected]@empiretoday.com so that we may be able to assist. You can also visit our online customer center at http://www.empiretoday.com/Customer-Service.

Sincerely,
    Consumer Advocate Team
    Empire Today, LLC

• Fl
    floorexpert Jun 09, 2015

you have 400 sf of carpet you paid 2.00 sf for that's junk carpet anyone can tell you that. You get what you pay for I been in the flooring business 29 years no way is that premium pad and carpet . Stop posting lies and just admit your cheap and don't want to spend money on quality flooring, that's why you called to complain and told her when she didn't ask, you wanted her to just give you a discount to keep your business. Why should they just drop price because you don't like it seriously ??? what a joke poor sales rep you ripped off . Get a second job so you can afford to pay what the rest of the world does and not expect special treatment .