The complaint has been investigated and
resolved to the customer's satisfactionResolved Emerilware — Bad service
resolved to the customer's satisfaction
I unintentionally left my 3 qt. Emerilware Stainless sauce pan on the electric stove on high with only water in it. The pan boiled dry and got extremely hot. When I removed the pan from the burner, the bottom layers (stainless steel, aluminum and copper) separated from the pan and fell to the floor. Molten metal went skittering across the linoleum, burning through to the subfloor in numerous places and charring the table legs, baseboard trim, throw rug, and one leg of my clothing. We immediately pulled up the linoleum to extinguish any smoldering subflooring. I accept full responsibility for misusing the pan by letting it boil dry, the damage to my pan and the burn on my hand from the extremely hot handle. But the performance of the pan under this circumstance is extremely dangerous and was a very scarey situation. My experience shows that this product can be very hazardous. I have researched this issue on the internet and find others who have had the bottom layers of their pan separate. My research indicates that if not sealed properly, air and water get between the layers of the cookware and can cause a situation like what happened to me. I contacted Emerilware to request a replacement of my cookware with a different model that doesn't have the aluminum and copper layers that can separate OR a refund of the cost of my set of cookware. The only thing they will do is replace the damaged pan with the exact model and inspect my remaining pans to see if they show signs of separation and replace those that show separation with the exact model. I am now uncomfortable using this cookware, fearful of what I know from experience can happen. I was lucky this time in that I didn't have a big fire or no one else was present in the kitchen at the time.