Electrician PCEObscene overcharging

F

I have to state first that I am aware that there are no state or federal laws against contractors overcharging. But when you live in a society, there are laws of morality and ethics.

The Saturday night before Easter, I had enough voltage surge in my house to cause multiple surge protectors to start frying. I shut down the power and called PCE Electric. I called at 7:00 PM and did not see the electrical contractor until 8:45 - so much for “30 minute response”. By this time my kids were huddled in their beds in a cold dark house. He said the only fix was to replace the entire service - from line connection thru the panel. I know now this was probably not true.

He charged me $3725.00 for a job that an honest and reputable firm would have charged less than $1800.00. This information I got from my insurance claims adjuster - who was very familiar with PCE Electric and their absurd rates.

WARNING SIGNS: No physical address (PO Box); Cannot be reached directly (all calls are taken by an answering service); Requires full payment by credit card up front.

This guy probably changes the name of his company every few years when word gets around.

If you need an emergency electrician in Eastern PA, Eastern Pennsylvania, Philadelphia suburbs, Mid-Atlantic region, AVOID PCE ELECTRIC LIKE THE PLAGUE!, find a local company that’s not afraid to give out their name and address.

• Sh
    Sharon1234 Nov 30, 2012

HORRIBLE COMPANY

• Lc
    lch1979 Apr 21, 2011

I am a Realtor. My client who didn't know any better called them out to have work done without consulting with me first. They did all the work that same day, and charged her $5000. She called me that night upset it cost so much, when she told me what they charged my jaw dropped! I spoke with another electrician that I use regularly, he said it was a $2000 job MAX! At that point the work was done & there was nothing I could do but call the electrician & give them an earfull. He was insulted I said he ripped my client off. he said the electrician that gave me that number must be a "mom & pop work-out-of-your-truck" kind of company that doesn't do a lot of advertising & doesn't have a lot of overhead. Yes, he is, but he's very reliable & has never steered me wrong. Why would I pay THOUSANDS more b/c you advertise a lot? How is that MY problem?? Bottom line - call a "mom & pop work-out-of-their-truck" kind of company. They are at least decent people!

• Hh
    HHT Apr 07, 2011

PCE Electric is not only overcharging, they are sending out mentally unstable technicians to do the work! We weren't really so annoyed by the 7, 130 dollar bill, that they charged my elderly mother. She can afford it. So we got scammed, but we are hoping the work was atleast done correctly.

We were really scared by the attitude of the technician "Joe." He first began bullying and badgering our SEARS technician via phone, who was supposed to deliver the appliance that we had purchased. The SEARS guy wouldn't come over after that, so we never received our appliance. This is the whole reason that we called Joe in the first place, to add a new power line to the kitchen. Joe got progressively more argumentative and belligerent with me when I asked questions about what he was doing. He threatened to leave in the middle of the job with wires hanging out all over the drive way. I threatened to call the police, he finally did something. My elderly mother just wanted to pacify and go along with him because she was afraid.

I almost feel like I should file a police report! Who else can I contact about this? Paying customers shouldn't feel like they are in fear of bodily harm from a repair technician.

• Me
    Mermaid44 Dec 01, 2010

This company is a complete RIPOFF. They walk in the door, listen to the problem, begin writing up an estimate that they pull out of a book. THEN they REQUIRE you to sign your name to a document that states you will pay them over $200 before they even touch the work. (diagnostic fee?) ( I was desperate and needed the light fixed) I have to admit, I was stupid...I signed the initial paper. He took my light apart, told me it was the transformer...which I had ALREADY told him. He then went out to his truck, told me he needed to go get a new transformer...told me it would be a trip charge AND the cost of the transformer...all this for the BARGAIN price of over $500. I told him to leave. Went to the lighting store (WAGE LIGHTING in Trevose, PA THEY are awesome!) they gave me a new transformer for free...and told me how to put it back up. NEVER NEVER be so desperate to use this "Family Owned Business." They play on the consumers desperation. SCOUNDRELS!

Ani Raj Jul 25, 2010

I wish I had researched PCE electric before calling PCE. There is enough complaints on the internet about PCE electric for one to not to obtain service from these people. You can see my complaint on the following link: