Ed Bozarth Chevrolet of AuroraCollision and Service

Merritt Island, FL 32952
[protected]

25 February, 2016

To Whom This May Concern,

I own a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ (1GC1KYC85BF151687) with a full GM extended warranty. This is not a cheap vehicle. Last December, a UPS truck backed up into me and cracked my front bumper corner on the passenger side with minimal damage to the fender. Their insurance company was proactive and worked with me to get the payment out so that I could get my vehicle repaired.

I live in Florida, but the incident occurred in Colorado where I currently am supporting for work short term. While I am here, I chose to use Ed Bozarth Chevrolet (2001 S. Havana Street) for maintenance (oil changes, etc.). When I brought my truck in, the agent (Bill Lyson) took pictures and entered all of my contact information into the system. As the check (sent directly from insurance company to dealership) hadn’t been sent yet, I asked that he contact me when he received it. Several weeks went by and I hadn’t heard from him, so I contacted UPS’s insurance agent. She told that they should have received it. I contact Bill and he told that the check was on his desk and that he had lost my contact information. As he did indeed enter my contact information right in front in me, when I first went there, that was the first warning. I also asking him if he could repair a tiny dent high on my fender that I would pay for. He thought a bit and threw out $75. I declined.

I scheduled an appointment and he said that it would a week (a week to replace a bumper?). So given that, I asked that if it happened to be finished earlier, I would like to have some things looked at (see below) in the Service department and he agreed to send it over there.

I typed up a list and also provided GM bulletins for support.

• Parasitic battery draw when left in 4WD. Would kill both batteries overnight
• Add coolant message would be displayed every three or four weeks when the coolant was full
• I pulled a P140A DTC indicating an EGR issue (provided a GM Bulletin)
• Excessive fuel consumption during diesel particulate filter regeneration (also provided a bulletin describing a possible leak between engine exhaust downpipe and the engine exhaust pipe)

As I dropped my truck off on a Monday morning, I called backed on Wednesday to check on the status. I left several messages with Bill to call me. After the third, I decided to talk with a manager. I spoke with James and he checked and said that the repair was finished. I asked that he get it right over to service. He was apologetic and complied.

They had my truck until Friday night. When I called (on Friday afternoon), they said that my batteries were low and they couldn’t diagnose the problem. I asked if they charged the batteries or used an auxiliary power supply. The agent (Tim) called me back and said no saying that I needed to purchase new batteries. Normally when a battery goes bad, I purchase it and install it myself. As it was in the shop and I am remote, I opted to purchase the batteries (two for my vehicle). He charged ~&140 each and $25 each for installation (plus a $100 warranty charge). This wasn’t supposed to cost me anything. After they installed the batteries on Friday afternoon, I was told that the low batteries caused the P140A code to be thrown. They decided to replace the fuse block saying that it was “corroded”. My engine compartment is clean. They also decided to replace the whole coolant tank with sensor.

I picked up my vehicle on Friday evening as I needed for the weekend. When I started it on Saturday morning, the coolant message was displayed. On Sunday, I noticed that my engine temperature was high. I checked the coolant tank and noticed that there wasn’t any coolant. I called them on Monday morning and they said to bring it in. When I picked it up that evening, they told that there was an air pocket and the coolant didn’t fill completely. Wonder how times they add coolant to a vehicle. I also checked the collision work done. I couldn’t believe what I saw. The bumper cap was warped (they installed it anyway) and they didn’t order a seal for the driver side of the bumper and I found it shoved back into the cavity as it was hard and no longer useful. I complained to Bill and he said that he didn’t have a chance to inspect it. He knew the vehicle was in service and couldn’t walk thirty feet to look at it? They had to order parts and redo it. This is a GM dealership for crying out loud.

While I was driving out of there, I received a call from a manager (Nick) asking to explain my whole ordeal at the dealership. I provided the information and as luck would have it, my “check engine light” came on. I told him that I would check the code when I was parked and inform him. I checked the code and sure enough, I pulled a P140A and a P2493 DTC, both related to the EGR system. So now I had to bring the vehicle in yet again. So I brought the vehicle in on a Friday evening and after waiting an hour, he told me that it was indeed the EGR system and that the repair time showed 8 hours and had to bring it in for a whole day. I complied and brought it in on Monday at 6:30 am (mechanics get in at 8:00 am). I received a call from Tim on Monday afternoon telling me that they couldn’t finish it (mechanics are there for 10 hours). I called Nick expressing my concern and said that it was unreasonable for me to hold them to 10 hours (really?). He also told me that they might have to drop the transmission to get at the EGR cooler. Now I’m really concerned that they’re not using a certified diesel mechanic (let alone an experienced one). I had no choice but let them have it overnight yet again. I finally picked up my truck and they said that they didn’t have to drop the transmission. Of course, now I wonder if the mechanic was able to torque the bolts on the EGR cooler effectively. Now I can hear a squeal (and feel it in the pedal) upon accelerating. Not sure if it’s the turbo or something else. I loathe going through this again.

Through this ordeal, I have had many rental vehicles (the dealership did take on the cost). As I’m a contract engineer, I’ve lost a great deal of time at work that I don’t get paid for. The frustration has been beyond description. Needless to say, I am extremely worried about the condition of my truck after this. I’m not even sure if the parasitic battery draw has really been eliminated and worried about the new batteries that I purchased. During this time to make amends, the dealership repaired the dent (didn’t take long at all) and changed my oil. I also purchased four new Michelin tires from this dealership a month or so ago. So they had my business.

It’s also worthwhile to note that I purchase the truck because of the excellent reputation of the Duramax engine and Allison transmission. Last year, I pulled transmission DTCs and took it to Len Lyall Chevrolet in Aurora, CO. They repaired the transmission and sure enough, a month or so later, I pulled another transmission DTC and had to bring it back in again.
It was fortuitous that I decided to take on the GM warranty that the previous owner had. I haven’t received any correspondence, so I’m not sure of the period. Please advise.
By the way, I own a 1994 GMC Z-71 step-side as well. It’s now 22 years old and I’ve had minimal issues with. Will never get rid of it.
Feel free to call me with any questions.

Sincerely,