Ebony MagazineRipped off!

December 2007 I received a bill of $12.00 subscription for an order of Ebony Magazine. On January 2008 I then received a Magazine from Ebony. In the bill it doesn't have a telephone number to call or an address to write too. I never ordered that magazine I don't need to order them because I don't read magazine or order any type of magazines. I knew right away it's a scam because there is no number to call or address. The bill didn't look right. I can't even return the magazine because there is no address. So the scammers could sit and wait for my $12.00 but their not getting nothing from me.

I'm going to file a complaint to the Attorney General's Office so they could look into this scam.

• Mi
    Michel Bird Jan 24, 2008

I too received an unsolictied copy and a bill. However, I did the following:

Went to the ebonyjet.com web site and its contacts page. Right there on the page was a phone number for subscriptions. That number, by the way, is 800 999 5954. I called it and spoke to a very pleasant, polite call center agent, Deborah (could be spelled many ways, I didn't ask). She located my "subscription" and told me that it was now cancelled and that I should ignore the bill and that I owe nothing. That is of course perfectly as it should be, I don't think I ordered it, I don't want it and I am not planning to pay for it.

It seems pretty straightforward to get off the list - but I agree with the poster - we should never be in this position. Kind of reminiscent of the book club scams of yesteryear. I do plan to send my copy back to the publishers because I don't want it, and don't want the accusation that I "stole" it to be leveled against me.

Interestingly, I think Yahoo must have been the source for the magazine - because I used my middle name when signing up for Yahoo mail (and that is the only site that I used my middle name/last name combination + home address). So I will be asking Yahoo if they have some kind of relationship. I have done this kind of tracing for years - different combinations of first/last names for things I sign up for, and then see which connections are made. Yes, I probably do have too much time on my hands!

Anyhow, good luck on getting your subscription canceled too.

• Eb
    Ebonyrippedmeoff Jul 14, 2017

@Michel Bird I called that number 7/14/17 and a machine told me it is not in service. They owe my library magazines since ending their mailing them to us in October /November 2016. We are subscribed for this magazine to January 2020.

jamie reott Jan 24, 2008

Had a bill come in the mail for a subscription to Ebony magazine and that i owed them $15.00 and they actually sent me the magazine. So I called 1-800-999-5954 and they were very polite and have had a million calls concerning this rip off.

• De
    Deidra Dicks Sep 19, 2018

I have not received a magazine since December 2016 and my subscription ends in 2019. I want a refund for my remaining issues. My email contact is [email protected] Verizon.net

• Mi
    Missing prints Sep 21, 2018

I have not received a magazine since Fall 2016 but paid up until 2019. I would like to be contacted. My email is [email protected]

• Dh
    dhickman004 Oct 21, 2018

I paid for a subscription in February 2017. It's now August 2017 and I have not received an issue yet. I do not want a refund, I just want my magazines.

• Do
    Dorothy Bogard Oct 22, 2018

My son in-law paid $10.00 by money order for a one year magazine subscription in February of 2017. I have not received one issue and all attempts to reach Ebony have failed.
    It has now been 4 months and all phone numbers listed to Ebony Magazine seem to no longer be in service. My letters to them have also gone unanswered.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices