EasternCurio.comDo not order from them

L

EasternCurio.com (also listed as [protected]@hotmail.com and Shanghai Shimu Homeware Co., LTD) of Shanghai, China is an online asian antique and crafts site. I bought 4 antique Chinese dining chairs for $2, 000 and payed $300 for shipping/handling. What this business fails to mention is that they only ship to the closest US port, leaving the customer to go through a hellish process of paying agents to maneuver the items through US Customs, warehousing and delivery. I ended up paying an extra $694 to get the chairs to my home in Seattle. When I tried to cancel the deal, Royal Hsu, the online seller, said that my money was not refundable and that I would lose my money as well as my furniture if I refused delivery. Because I had wired the money, I hadn't a leg to stand on. I have since reported them to the US Federal Trade Commission. LESSONS LEARNED: 1. DON'T ORDER FOREIGN PRODUCTS UNLESS THERE IS AN AGENCY IN THIS COUNTRY. 2. NEVER WIRE MONEY UNLESS YOU KNOW THE BUSINESS EXTREMELY WELL.

• Di
    DieRoyal Dec 16, 2009

I totally agree with the complain above. I actually visited their 'factory' in Shanghai. Turns out it is a mum & dad business running from their home apartment. The owner is called Royal Hsu (Xu). He uses the spellling 'Hsu' to appear non-mainland Chinese - more Taiwanese spelling. At the factory and warehouse everything looked great of course, and he showed me photos of how they pack and ship the items. When the items finally arrived (I was in China then), 3 out of 4 items were damaged. Calling Royal up, he said he didn't insure the items and wouldn't pay to have them repaired. Even then, the quality of the delivered items were a scam. After a lot of arguing and threats, he agreed to repair one of the iems.

Even then, the wood used is cheap and light pine wood that hasn't been conditioned. As a result, when winter came with the dry weather all the wood shrank and cracked. If you want to give Royal a piece of your mind, the address is:

Name : JiaYing Xu
    Address : Room 101, NO.132, Nong 316, West Gumei Rd.
    City : Shanghai
    Country : China
    Postal Code : 201102
    Phone Number : 86-21-[protected]
    Fax : 86-21-[protected]
    Email : [email protected]

• Di
    DieRoyal Dec 16, 2009

Chineart.com is also run by the same low quality, over-charging, hidden-cost crap that is easterncurion.com. Don't buy from them!