Menu
E
Author of the complaint
7:21 am EDT
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Five days after purchasing a vehicle from DriveTime, it was taken to the shop because of a grinding sound coming from underneath and the check engine light was on.

The shop (which DriveTime authorized) kept my vehicle for 3 days and said DriveTime refused to make repairs. They said I had to take it to their Drive Time Repair center for repairs.

So after driving for 1 1/2 hours and spending five hours at their repair center the vehicle was returned to me. On the way home the check engine light came on, the grinding sound returned and the car begin to over heat.

After having the car towed to the repair shop that DriveTime recommended, DriveTime informed me that the problems the vehicle has was not covered by the warranty and I was responsible for the repairs even though by this time I only had the vehicle for two weeks.

After having the car repaired again at a cost of $425.00 was able to drive the car for three more weeks, before it stopped running again. Again I had the vehicle towed to a repair shop they authorized and again I was informed by DriveTime, the problem with the vehicle was not covered by the warranty.

More DriveTime Automotive Group complaints & reviews

DriveTime Automotive Group - preys on people with badcredit
DriveTime Automotive Group - scam and cheating
DriveTime Automotive Group - drivetime preys on people who need help
DriveTime Automotive Group - scam and cheating!
DriveTime Automotive Group - unwanted phone calls
DriveTime Automotive Group - lost insurance check
9 comments
J
Dec 11, 2021 1:22 am EST

I bought a 2012 Genesis 4.6 from them. The car was supposed to cost only 14900. When I got out of the building and got into the car, they had somehow charged me another $3000.00. Said, I couldn't get approved if I didn't agree to the warranty fees, and one or two more charges for some other services? Anyway, I pay $450.00 per month for a year. COVID hits. I lose my job. So, I sign up for the 2 month deferral of payments. I don't think they deferred anything because the phone calls sure didn't stop...Anyway, as soon as I get re-employed, I start trying to catch up the payments, but on top of the already ridiculous interest rate, they had apparently started charging me an additional $11.00 per day for late fees. So, I start paying $636 every month to try and catch up on the past due balance, but what I didn't realize is that the $450 dollars per month that I had been paying wasn't even paying off any, not any of the balance. So, after about 12 payments of $450 and 6 or 7 more payments of $636.00 I still owed them nearly $18, 000.00. And that's right...the $636.00 per month was never going to catch anything up because at $11.00 per day, that's an additional $330 per month that I would need to pay on top of the $450.00 per month that wasn't paying anything down on what I originally owed. As a matter of fact, my balance was going up an additional $150.00 per month. And the phone calls...just about drove me crazy. I'd make a payment by phone and the very next day...they'd start calling me again. So, I paid $9852 over approximately 18 to 20 months on a car that should've only cost $14900 plus tax, and owed $18, 000 at the point which they came and got the car. Sold it for only $1500, and sent me a bill for the additional $16, 452. How is it that they can sell a car to me for more than 10 times what they sold it to someone else for...? If our judicial system sides with them, then we have definitely come to the point in the Bible where Jesus says, "there will come a day when wrong is right, and right is wrong."

J
Dec 11, 2021 1:33 am EST
Replying to comment of Jaygolf68

BTW I'm not waiting on any class action lawsuit. I'm going to talk to an attorney about this next week. And, I didn't even mention: Apparently the car was involved in an accident because: 1. The drive shaft was bent, 2. The electronic parking brakes would lock up sometimes at a redlight and not disengage. The catalytic converters were missing, pipes were welded in place of them, the rims had been painted, with some cheap spray paint, that came off after the first wash. The driver side window fell down into the door less than 4 weeks after obtaining the car, had to buy a new driver side window, the driverside passenger door handle was broken. Had to buy another one of those... The passenger side rear window motor didn't work. Had to purchase another one of those, and I could name a few more...oh and the rearview camera would cut out sometimes while in reverse...oh and the left front headlight assembly shorted out...couldn't afford another one of those...they cost $1260 per each. Theres more but what good would it do to keep listing the problems...Heaven help me please.

O
Jul 07, 2009 2:03 pm EDT

This company is horrible! They prey on those who have already been had by our ecomony and other decitful companies. Interest rates are radiculious! 25% Shouldn't that be illegal. Oh and don't think about being late! They will call you family, friends, boss, neighbors... doesn't matter. You can call corp and file a complaint, but that is a waste of time and breathe. Corp doesn't know anything about any accounts. In fact, when we went to have a deferement on the account, corp called informing us they were turning our account over the repo because we are 10 days late! I immediately recanted and provided all the paperwork needed to prove we had submitted and been approved for the deferement. These people are rude and persistant. Even if you are the person who pays all bills on time, expect that call several times a day "reminding you of you payment." The store manager is something else too. He doesn't follow through with conversations either. It is companies like DriveTime that puts our ecomony in the red! Shut them down! Dont' do business with Drivetime, you will regret it.

N
Dec 14, 2009 8:49 am EST

Drivetime is a horrible company and I cannot stand dealing with their employees. I had to purchase a car from them because my credit was ruined during my divorce. I regret it daily. Two months ago, I was pulled over for driving with a suspended license and my vehicle was impounded. I had every intention of getting my vehicle out of impound, and while I was getting my license valid, drivetime came and took the vehicle out of impound. They called and let me know they had it and I had to jump through all these hoops to get it back. Even drive to a city 2 hours away, where it was being held. Turns out it was because they repossesed it. For no reason other than it was imponded. I was current on all my payments and everything else.

I got my vehicle returned, but under the condition that I sign a "Modification Agreement" to the contract. They did defer 3 payments for me, during the time I was working to get my vehicle back because it cost me nearly $3, 000. While I appreciate them working with me to get my vehicle back, I don't appreciate their tactics.

Currently, I am fighting with them, because one of the payments that they agreed to defer, according to the terms on their contract that I was required to sign, they made me make, and accused me of being late on. I am pretty sure they violated their own contract, and will be speaking with an attorney.

If you can avoid Drivetime - do so, at all costs. It is not worth the time, harassment, and shady activites on their part to purchase a vehicle from them.

C
May 06, 2012 11:45 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

they have suckered you just like the rest of us... i am so sorry you got screwed by dt too !

R
Feb 27, 2011 1:21 am EST

i feel just because you have bad credit doesnt mean your a bad person, circumstances can lead to bad credit, in my case i did it all. i didnt pay my bills and my credit is bad. You still dont take advantage of people because, if youre going to mark up the car, give a decent interest rate, if youre going to have a high rate dont mark up car that much. drivetime is bad about both, i knew my rate was going to be high and the car was over priced, but its the price you pay for decisions you made in past. i will tell you this, if you can by a DT car any other car lot in the nation should finance you just on a signature...lol!

Jul 10, 2010 11:50 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

@yolidallas,

Your grammar is terrible! I don't know where to start. Please, go back to school. Your bad credit stems from poor education. Take the hint.

I would comment on why your car sucks, but you wouldn't be able to understand.

L
Jan 21, 2010 4:44 am EST

PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS COMPLAINT AND STAY AWAY FROM DRIVE TIME! They are only out for themselves and not the consumer. They will call and harass you, your family and friends constantly even if you are ONE day late. They are like finance company MAFIA!

Y
May 11, 2009 8:50 am EDT

I'm currently purchasing a 2003 Chevy Impala through Drivetime. I wish someone had informed otherwise. My interest rate is 26%. The car wasn't clean when I purchased it and had no gas. The outside was all polished up but the next day I could really see the inside. There was dog hair everywhere. I called and talked to the young man I purchased the car from about this. He told me to bring it to be clean. They did something but clean wasn't it. That' s not the worst part. Brace yourself: the check lights has been on since day one- I was told that it was because my gas wasn't closed properly, and for them to look at it would cost me $40.00. When it rains it also rain in my car. I got into the car one day the back right floor had standing water.

I hadn't pay $40.00 of my car note when they called about it. It turned from $40.00 to $120.00.

My friend girl asked me about purchasing a car with drivetime I told her she would be making THE WORST DECISION of her life.

When I look at this car all want to do is blow it up.

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

285 complaints