Dr Margaret Ullman and Dr. Danielle Heininjury to my pet dog sprinkles

1 Review updated:

To whom it may concern,

We would like to file a complaint against Margaret Ullman DMV, from the veterinarian center of East Northport, located at 575 Larkfield Road in NY 11731 and Danielle Hein, DMV from the veterinary center long island (VMCLI) located at 75 Sunrise Highway West Islip, NY 11795

On August 26, 2019, my husband and I brought our pet, Sprinkles, in for a routine blood draw. This is mandated before a dental cleaning. This was the first time we had met Dr. Ullman. Our Maltese, who is only 5 years old, was given a perfect bill of health after Dr. Ullman's physical examination. The reports included show our dog's perfect levels, including her RBC COUNT AT 53. Our pet was quickly taken into the back room for a quick, standard blood draw. Within minutes, we heard our pet scream out in pain, yelping loudly several times. We instantly knew something went terribly wrong. Dr. Ullman charged back into the room stating that our pet was having a seizure (misdiagnosis). When we stated that had never occurred before, she insisted we were lying. Our pet has no history of any seizures nor any documented related disease from our primary veterinarian, Dr. Bayha, in Wantagh, NY. There is a letter included validating this. Dr. Ullman then added that Sprinkles may have a bruise by her neck, but minimized its severity. This doctor should have confirmed with us where the needle stick was to be performed, in case there was any underlying neck issue or if my dog had issues holding its head still. Though we understand that Dr. Ullman wanted to avoid her paw, because it would require another needle stick a few weeks later for anesthesia, the blood draw could have been done on a back paw, for safety reasons. Dr. Ullman admitted to us that she wasn't confident or proficient in doing venipuncture, so instead tried to hold our dog's head. We find it negligent that this doctor does not trust her own skills. She and her technician should require immediate retraining, so that they can perform a simple test without injury to other pets like our own.We believe that our dog was either stuck numerous times or the needle stick was done too deeply.
After Dr. Ullman returned a second time, she informed us that Sprinkles was now in a state of collapse (prior to gabapentin) and would require oxygen and IV FLUIDS, at our expense, to revive her.

We had to rush over to the Veterinary Emergency Center of West Islip (VMCLI) where we met with Dr. Hein. Sprinkles was noticeably fatigued and not in a happy state. Upon examination, Dr. Hein stated that it did not seem like a neurological seizure based on the symptoms presented, but a Vaso Vagal event (misdiagnosis). She hypothesized that this possibly was the anxious reaction to the trauma of the event. Dr. Hein inspected Sprinkles neck but said, at that time, she couldn't see any indication of a hematoma (though it existed and we told her that was what we believed had happened). She surmised that it might have been provoked by an underlying heart condition. With the cardiologist not in till the morning and no imminent threat confirmed by Dr. Hein, we took Sprinkles home to relax in a less traumatic environment for the night and bring her back in the am. We were advised but not mandated by Dr. Hein to leave our pet overnight, but would have if it was diagnosed correctly. The technician also stated that if it was just anxiety there was no reason to keep our pet in an unfamiliar place.

When we returned home we gave our dog some soft food and only 1 mg of the 4 mg gabapentin prescribed as safe by Dr. Hein. My husband received a call from Dr. Ullman. My husband told her that Sprinkles was still very fatigued and in some pain, but was resting calmly at home. Dr. Ullman lied non her report, stating we said the dog was happy and running around. After only 5 minutes we noticed that Sprinkles immediately started breathing very rapidly. I put her on the floor and noticed she was drinking large amounts of water and her eyes became fatigued. She collapsed again. We rushed back in our car, my hands holding her lifeless body as if she were dead. I felt no pulse.

Upon reexamination, Dr. Hein found a large hematoma which she admitted that she missed, which was lower on the neck and that extended to our pet's chest. This exorbitant amount of blood caused an aneurysm which had our dog bleeding to death since in Dr. Ullman's office! (Our pet had been spayed at one year old and had many blood draws before without any clotting issues.) Dr. Hein had to administer a clotting agent immediately. Sprinkles was developing an anemic reaction response due to a large amount of blood loss. Also, her blood pressure and pvc/hct which was at a normal 53 earlier, at Dr. Ullmans office, descended to 17, a dangerously low level. Dr. Hein informed us that Sprinkles needed an immediate blood transfusion, not over the normal 4 hours but instead in just one. There could be a chance of death should our pet need a second dose of blood quickly after. My pet had to be shaved and stuck several additional times while already in pain. Fearing for our dog's life we consented to keep Sprinkles overnight and as long as she needed to recover safely. . Dr. Hein stated to us that it was not normal for a blood draw to result into a transfusion in just one day, but quickly denied telling us this after speaking to Dr. Ullman.
When I contacted Dr. Ullman, she was extremely defensive and claimed zero responsibility for her actions Dr. Ullman placed blame on Dr. Hein, as stated in her report, that Dr. Hein admitted that the Gabapentin medication could have dislodged the clot. REGARDLESS, it is not within the normal scope of practice to have a miniature, HEALTHY dog of 5 years old have a hematoma cover ¼ of its body habitus. The seizure was a complete misdiagnosis and we believe Dr. Ullman knew the extent of the injury, but would not admit it and it left our pet bleeding to death for hours without our knowledge. We also believe that Dr. Hein is negligent and did not thoroughly or properly check our dog for her injury initially.

It is not acceptable for a $170 bill to turn into $2696.45. Dr. Ullmans malpractice insurance stated they needed a letter stating no blood clotting problems ever occurred and we supplied this and they still refuse to pay. These charges are due to the misconduct on behalf of Dr. Ullman and Dr. Hein. They are responsible for these charges. This is a small fee to pay for all the pain and suffering my pet and my family has had to endure. It also saddens me, as a licensed professional in the medical field myself, to see doctors lie and retract statements in order to protect one another and not the pet's they care for. We are contacting NYS professions of conduct.

Sincerely,

Dina and Bret Callahan
2950 Montgomery Street
Wantagh, NY 11793

• Updated by Tech27, Oct 08, 2019

I’m looking for real advice you nutty squirrel.

• Updated by Tech27, Oct 08, 2019

go Away you nutty squirrel.

Te
Oct 06, 2019

Comments

•   Oct 06, 2019

First document had a date of 2109. Proofreading isn’t a priority for the doctor.

Complications happen and animals can’t tell you where it hurts. The vets tried to help but things happened beyond their control.

• Te
      Oct 07, 2019

@SubSquirrel Well you don’t know all the facts of the case. They did not do everything in their control when you misdiagnosis and miss large hematoma son a pet.
    If it were your child or family member I’m sure you would think differently.

•   Oct 07, 2019

@Tech27 You didn’t give all the facts then.

My family doesn’t go to the veterinarian for medical issues.

• Te
      Oct 07, 2019

@SubSquirrel All the facts are given. You clearly have no credentials in this area.
    This is for the AMA to decide not you .

•   Oct 07, 2019

@Tech27 Then don’t post it on a public discussion board.

•   Oct 08, 2019

Naw, it’s more fun to stay, read and comment on your asinine posts. Plus you’re stalking me and knowing that I get you upset because I didn’t agree with your post is comical.