DometicNoisy/requires defrosting weekly

B

I purchased a 2010 Winnebago Via with a Dometic refrigerator which according to Winnebago was specially designed for this motor home (I doubt that). The unit has a fan "whine" that runs almost 24 hours a day, off and on. Also the freezer frosts over and the temperature drops in the refrigerator portion and food spoils unless you defrost frequently. This last trip it was weekly and I wound up throwing out some food due to spoilage. Dometic says that "the unit was not designed for long term use, afterall people don't live in RV's" and that the reason it frosts up is due to the thin seal on the freezer door. They now refuse to deal with me as I have asked Winneabago to handle it under the warranty. If I knew that I could find a two door unit that would fit without drastic modification I would buy a new one. Oh, one more thing. When you are on the road and purchase something to go in the freezer you must open the slide almost all the way to gain access as it has a single door and the freezer door inside the unit will not open without the slide out.

• Le
    Lenny M Feb 10, 2020

I agree Dometic products are of poor quality. I have a Montana 5th wheel with Dometic toilet, that leaks between the toilet and the plastic stool. Dometic says replace the toilet, the seal can not be replaced. I am not happy with Dometic toilets. Will not buy another. I also have 2 Dometic air conditioners and a Dometic thermostat to control the cooling of both air conditioners and the furnace. It is terrible the air conditioners and the furnace sometime come on together to heat and cool at the same time. The air conditioners and the furnace sometimes comes on even when they are turned off. I am throughly disappointed with these Dometic products. My fridge is a Norcold not a Dometic, and it works fine. Glad it is not a Dometic. After seeing all of the unhappy buyers here of Dometic I will never buy any Dometic products again.

Janie Fortney Jan 04, 2014

I'm confused from some of the above comments--we just bought a2012 25Q Reyo and have no problem opening the freezer with the slide in.

• Vi
    VIABG Sep 11, 2011

Update (September 2011) - I took the vehicle to the dealer in Prescott after having it in storage for several months. I pulled it out of the storage (under an RV cover next to my home) and plugged it into shore power. The refrigerator fan came on and ran 24 hours - it was very very loud. I checked the temperature - the freezer was up to temp, but the refrigerator was HOT. I drove the vehicle to my friends home an hour away and plugged it in again - the fan came on again very loud and ran all night - the temperature was up to normal in the refrigerator, but I did not trust the unit and I definately could not sleep all night in it. I went on a trip through Nevada and Idaho - using coolers to keep my food from spoiling. I then took it back to the dealers and they were able to get it working by replacing the fan, but after all the issues I decided to trade it in. The dealer insisted that Winnebago is a quality manufacturer (could not prove that by me) and did review my options for replacement. I do like the Mercedes drive train and the 16-19 MPG so after looking at the availble vehicles made on that chassis I settled on a View Profile - only problem is that it is the only View using the Dometic refrigerator - so I looked at a 24M they had in stock and will take delivery on next Wednesday. Dometic called and asked if the fan was received at the dealer and if it fixed the noise and constant run problem. I said it was received, but that I could no longer deal with the "cheap" refrigerator/freezer, the tiny sink with plastic faucet (already replaced once) and the tiny stove with no room to put two large pans on at one time. That is not the case with the 24M as it has a large sink and larger two burner stove as well as a Norcold two door refrgerator. I only hope that I do not have the problems I have had with the VIA. Winnebago and Dometic still state that they have not had many complaints about the refrigerator in the VIA. A warning to all those Winnebago supporters - look very closely at the quality - it has gone down hill. Even the new View is using the cheap phoney wood cupboards like are in the VIA. Plastic on all the edges to cover up the phoney wood.

BJGWIN Jun 23, 2011

Update - The fan in the refrigerator starting making loud noises when it heat up. Dometic sent the dealership in Prescott instructions on how to replace the fan and how to ensure the seals were properly installed in an attempt to stop the frosting over. I am not holding my breath and the new fan makes the loud noise also. In addition the cheap plastic galley faucet cracked along the seam and leaked water when turned on. That too was replaced. I hope Winnebago will see that they need to take this Lemon off my hands and give me my money back.

• Re
    reyo owner Jun 22, 2011

I too have a Reyo, 2011. I am also getting a new refrigerator after problems with the freezer frosting over several times and the inside temp going up to 56 degrees. I had to throw out medication and some food. I had complained about the refrig. to Winnebago and was put in touch with Dometic. I have had engine issues resulting in repairs at Mercedes in AL LA NC FL and Freightliner in CT and FL. Presently I am waiting for several weeks to have an engine part shipped as there are none in USA or Germany available at present. I had the electric motor replaced in the Kwikee steps, need a new range hood fan, have insulation falling on the dash, laminate peeling off a closet door, have great difficulty opening the RV door. I had a window shade replaced, water valve repaired, tv/radio switch repaired, drawers re-installed as there was a gap. And on and on. Unit looks nice but is a nightmare to own. Winnebago refuses to take this lemon back.

BJGWIN Feb 14, 2011

Since I first posted this 2010 Via purchased brand new in March has had the refrigerator replaced once and the new unit had a defective control unit so they used the one off the old one. Just two weeks ago the hinges on the freezer door broke - cheap plastic. Dometic makes the refrigerator just for the Via and Reyo - they don't even show it on their website any longer. Winnebago has advised that the same refrigerator is in the 2011 and will be in the 2012 when they come out. In addition to the refrigerator I have had the TV replaced, the inverter, the converter, the slide control unit, two water leaks in the bathroom, a rewiring on the relay under the driver's seat, and the LNB on the satellite dish. The wiring on the TV had to be replaced to let the satellite signal get to the TV. The finish work done at the time it was made were very poor and it still has defects on the door which has had to be adjusted more than five times. The awning was mounted incorrectly at the factory and wound up damaging the outer seal. One thing that has not been fixed is the sparking sound that comes out of the cold air return under the closet when the hot water heater is left on 110 after about 30 minutes to an hour. Just yesterday I went to leave the RV park and the slide would not go in. A repairman jury rigged a direct wire to the battery and got me on the road, but that was after it took almost an hour to locate the motors (one under the storage unit at the head of the bead and the other under the bed accessed by removing the sliding mattress and taking out about 30 screws to access the second motor. A Camping World executive told me that he doubted I would win filing a lawsuit and would simply wind up incurring the cost of Winnebago and Camping World's attorney. Winnebago has been nice to extend the warranty since I am beyond the 15000 miles, but not past the one year.

• Gy
    Gypsycaravan Feb 13, 2011

Amen to all above. We bought the same unit only the Itasca Reyo. Same cheap problems with the fridge and another huge long list of problems, both design problems and cheap appointments. Other than the good looking exterior and great gas mileage, there was nothing else in the unit to satisfy. Entering a gas station or driveway at almost a stopped speed, the awful side to side sway would have thrown us out of our seats many times if we weren't wearing our seatbelts. Winnebago said there was "no problem" with swaying, but suggested $2500 airbags could be installed. How could that be if there was "no problem" as they insisted???? HMMM! The refrigerator was all you said. I had to defrost about every 5-7 days on our 4 month trip. What a pain. Once again, you couldn't get into the fridge or freezer unless the full side slide was out. If you walked back to the bathroom, you had to slide there sideways and get your legs all beaten up from the handles and knobs sticking out from the drawers and wardrobes. The stove was such a cheap model. I had nicer and more stable campstoves when I used to tent camp. The sink was a joke. Such a tiny little round basin that a standard dinner plate could not even fit in there. With the glass hinged cover in the way, there was no room for any counter space to do dishes. The micro was super--loved the half-time feature. The cabinetry was atrocious--just a lousy particleboard --the screws and latches pulled out of the round cupboard front the first month we had it. Both ends of the pedestal table came off and stuck in the receiver hole and had a terrible time removing them. There was not comfortable way to get in or around the table whichever hole it was placed in. The foam in the sofa broke down to uncomfortable seating the first couple months. The factory must have known it was a problem because they replaced the whole sofa when we went there without ever having checked it out. We are not big people either. My husband and I each weighhabout 170. Why did they make a unit that can sleep five with a carrying capacity of right at 1000 pounds? After you add water and a couple people, you can hardly load the fridge!!! We were overweight and had even removed that ridiculous overhead bed before we left on the trip. Now for the worst problem of this sewer wagon. Immediately we started having severe odor problems. We are not amateur travellers. My husband has been RVing over 45 years. Five times we had to have the unit torn up and a busted vent pipe repaired (once was done at the factory). As soon as we started off again (remember the severe sway I mentioned earlier), the odor would return. By the time we returned from our trip, my husband who had owned twelve motorhomes through the years, said he had never hated a unit but he hated everything about this one. The dealer must have sensed we were going to be eligible for "lemon law" when we mentioned "lawyer". They asked us what motorhome we wanted, added all the extras and gave us a good trade. We have never been so happy to get rid of a unit. It is still sitting on their lot seven months later. We chose a 26' Itasca Sunstar with all the extras and have taken many trips in it since then. It is a great unit. It was valued a lot less in original sales price, but the truth of the matter, is the Reyo was grossly over-priced for such an under-engineered and poorly designed unit. The inside of this unit needs to be gutted and new designers hired to renovate. If you wanted to have a meal while on the road, you had to put the slide out in order to seat the table pedestal or use the other pedestal hole between the two front seats and raise those seats and revolve them to have use of a table. Wiith all these problems, you might ask why we even bought this RV. The exterior size, small diesel engine and great gas mileage in this expensive fuel era was the temptation. However, the extreme miserable living conditions inside made the whole experience a disaster.

BJGWIN Jan 26, 2011

#039;s actually is FREEZER

BJGWIN Jan 26, 2011

Now the refrigerator freezer's door is broken - it is made of very flimsy plastic - and since one has to defrost every week it has to be held open to assist in the defrosting. Why would Winnebago put such a cheap refrigerator in a Class A that costs over $140K?