Dollers for goldscam

I saw dollars for gold on TV so I sent them my 18K Italian gold chain from my fathers father because it broke a very nice piece very nice so I waited and waited NO check HMMM okay I called customer services and it called long distance the girl had a southern acedent and sounder very far over the line witch tells me the call is travailing a long distance over the line WHY have the call that far for a company in Ottawa no more then a few hours drive. They said that the check must have been lost in the mail and yet gave me the right mailing address they sent it to. so by now my 10 days to return the check is long gone and I now got my re issued check for a cheep $36.00 and conveniently can not return it because my gold is melted and gone I think this was dose on purpose is there any one else this has happen to?
Joshua Sferrazza