Discovery Personal LoansBeware

T

If you get a letter in the mail offering you a loan don't do it!!! Their NOT loaning money. I have a 768 Fico score with a 20% debt to income ratio and was declined because of having 2 inquires in the last year. The same goes for Wells fargo I applied with them for a revolving line of credit. Wells Fargo, U.S Bank are other banks advertising but NOT loaning. Just wanted to save anybody the trouble and Hard inquiries on their Credit reports. BTW they did 3 different inquiries over 3 days.

BEWARE, BEWARE.

• Co
    Corita Meyer May 29, 2009

I have sent number of complain letter on what they will do with my matter, as they are penelise me for Discovery's mistake that I think personally is unfare. But nothing are being done from there side.

I have sign an Debit order for Discovery on the 25th of every month, first payment to be done in May 2009. We are at 29th already an NO payment has been done yet - why why why

Please assist urgent, or please just give me any responce urgent.

I have all proof that could be emailed to you.

Kind Regards

Corita Meyer
    [protected]

• Co
    cool joe 78 Feb 22, 2010

I have about a 780 credit score, just got a 15k visa from US bank and have a 25k personal note from Discover, so maybe there is more on your credit than what you are telling...from what I can tell you are a dumb douche that can't spell DISCOVER, not DISCOVERY.

marcey Mar 11, 2010

i got a 15k discovery personal loan as well and had no problem...In fact they helped me out tremendously and my fica score was not as high as yours. So i think you better get a credit report and find out what is on there...

• Pa
    Paul L Jul 06, 2010

I got a solicitation from Discover Personal Loans and it looked good until I read the small print. If you are late on just ONE payment, they can jack your interest rate up to 28.99%! (that doesn't even include the late fee)

• Ku
    Kubakov Sep 02, 2010

Once again Discovery has deactivated my account unfairly.I fail to understand how a company that earns the position as a top medical aid provider and sells themself as a brand that is all about medical care does not take into account medical circumstances when deactivating accounts let alone having the decency to inform a person that their account could potentially be deactivated.I was notified in August this year via e-mail that my virgin active gym account was terminated due to me not meeting the requirement for gym visits, when I called the call centre the consultant informed me that had I gone twice more to gym during the month of August my account would not have been deactivated.At my company every person who is a Virgin active member through Vitality receives emails warning them if there account is in jeopardy of dismissal, why am I not awarded this seemed privelege?This is the second time this year in which Discovery has deactivated my account without prior warning.I find this extremely unfair and wonder why their practices are not standardised, I have contacted Discovery viatlity via email 2 weeks ago and have had no response regarding this matter.Very disappointing indeed.

• St
    Stutkins Sep 08, 2010

On 15 Sep 09 I recieved an e-mail from vitality informing me of the cancellation of my gym membership due to not meeting minimum requirements of 24 visits per 12-months. The e-mail went on to advise me to pay R850 'reactivation' fee to join again. Previously I would recieve 'warning' e-mails telling me of imminent cancellation due to poor attendance. Suffice to say that upon my query about this I was practically told that the warning e-mails are a 'courtesy notification' only (read : 'We are doing you a favour') and that I should have paid attention to the rules of the contract. I argued (via e-mail correspondence) that it is blatant poor customer service to create an expectation with your clients and then not live up to it, regardless of 'contractual obligations'. The last e-mail correspondence from them was a half-hearted apology and again reference to 'minimum requirements' but no consideration of addressing my actual gripe, which is that they are putting themselves, their 'rules' and their profit ahead of the client's satisfaction.

Bottomline is that they are unwilling to budge on this issue and I have decided on principle that I am NOT popping out R850 needlessy!!

• Fa
    Faithme Sep 14, 2010

Recently one of Discovery's consultants from Verso got me to change my medical aid from Liberty Life to Discovery health and at that time I needed to remove my wisdom teeth. The consultant told me that Discovery will cover all of the costs if a Maxilla facial surgeon has to operate which was in fact the case. Discovery deducted everything in my medical savings account and now I must also pay R5700 for medical bills that Verso promised me would have been deducted from my risk fund. According to other people I have spoken to, the same promises were made to them by various Discovery consultants.

• So
    Soulmaster Sep 17, 2010

I emailed about the Discovery 911 product. It is now been two days since my last email - no respond. Looks like if Discovery Health get`s one type of information to identify you they try to search you on thier members database (if you are a member) and then like log`s a query just to answer simple questions. I think it is unacceptable to try identify someone with out the necessary authorasation from the person.

• Re
    Reumenrt Sep 27, 2010

These guys are absolutely useless. After consistently attempting to get them to pay for a 3 day hospital stay for over a year now after i paid the hospital, they have refused to pay out. They will tell you the world but ultimately it's only the shareholders they care about not your health, and the vitality gym *** is even better, cause you pay R875 for a LIFE TIME MEMBERSHIP. However they have now cancelled mine for a second time due to me not going and your min is twice a month and 24 times a year, i suppose the 20 times i went in the last month doesn't really count because virgin can't get there scanners right which is my problem because i'm only the customer?. Cause let's face it they need to derive money so Branson can make some money poor fellow. Discovery and it's partners are just a money making *** that attempts to attract you with benefits but never delivers. Liberty Health are Half the price and from what other members are telling me excellent with there service, that's because they don't *** you with 10% discounts on That you paid for anyway and then some. there a medical aid and they stick to it. I sincerely hope discovery health falls to pieces.

• Di
    Dingoman Sep 27, 2010

I receive a disability pension, I pay R1, 757.00 a month (R21, 084.00 per year), I need urgent dentistry and I am turned down as I 'have no more savings'. How is it that out of R21, 084 a mere R3, 396.00 is my 'savings' when the plan handbook mentions 25% of of my contribution (R5, 271.00) is used as 'savings'? I accepted the medical aid plan after reading the brochure. Now I am now told that I pay 'late joiner penalty fees', now what is a 'late joiner'? A new way to generate extra income for the scheme? Nothing like that is mentioned in the brochure. I am very unhappy with Discovery Health!

• Et
    Ethal Jan 25, 2011

I placed an order for the Your Pregnancy magazine once I registered my pregnancy. With Vitality we are entitled to 3 free copies, and after baby is born we get 3 free Your Baby mags. Problem is, its end of March, Im having my baby on Friday and I still dont have the Pregnancy magazines! I phone to query (for a 2nd time) and was told I would get my first issue in April. Please answer me this though... WHAT THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH PREGNANCY MAGAZINES IF IM HAVING THE BABY IN 3 DAYS!!! Discovery is also not prepared to swap the magazines for the Your Baby magazine. When I asked why it took so long, I was put through to 4 different departments and guess what... STILL DONT HAVE AN ANSWER TO THAT ONE. Nobody is taking responsibility for the order never being sent out. Thus far we have been very happy with Discovery, but this has disappointed me, as I was really looking forward to reading magazines that was, I might add, a 'selling point' for us to join Vitality in the first place.

Joxxe Jan 26, 2011

There has recently been a major miscomunication between my employer and Discovery, which resulted in my medical aid, and my vitality&keyclub to be canceled due to apparent non-payment. The contributions for the medical aid and for vitality & keyclub, has however been deducted from my salary as per usual.

This error has since been corrected, and my medical aid benifit has been restored, my vitality and keyclub benifits are however still not reactivated, after a month since the original error occured, and 2 weeks since the medical aid benifit has been restored.

I've tried all the comunication chanels availible via phone calls, and the discovery website (e-mails). But the process of reactivating my vitality and keyclub seems to go in circles. I keep on having to explain to the opperators that my contributions HAS been payed in full, and that the cancelation of the services was an error. No action is being taken to restore my services as the response is allways 'my benifits has been terminated due to non-payment'. This is getting rediculous!!! It can't be this diffucult to correct this, as the cause of the error has allready been found to restore my health plan benifit.

• Ri
    Rimsayde Feb 10, 2011

On Thursday [protected], I submitted a claim to Discovery Healt, [Hidden Web Address] I had broken my foot in an accident on Friday [protected], and this claim was related to this accident, which had been covered by Discovery.

I had to pay cash for a cast I needed, as this was not available at the hospital. I was offered one at the hospital at a much higher cost, but was told I could obtain one cheaper at a local Orthopedics outlet. I received the script prescription from the surgeon who had undertaken the entire operation, and proceeded to obtain the cast.

I have submitted the claim to Discovery, as mentioned, on Thursday [protected] (2 weeks ago). I received an automated response on the Friday following. 2 weeks later, the only response I have had was a mis-addressed e-mail informing someone else that they had not included the price of their claim. This was not even related to my claim at all.

I am sitting waiting for Discovery to get it into gear here. I cannot phone them during the day, and I need to rely on e-mail response. All I end up getting is neglected.

My claim included all relevant info, IDC10 code, Price, Practice and Practice number and Doctor involved.

• Mo
    Monina Jul 23, 2011

Read the FAQ.

"Q: Can I pay extra each month or make additional payments to pay my loan off early?
    A: Yes and we won't charge you or penalize you for doing so.
    (Please note you will not receive a rebate of any finance charges if you pay off your loan early).

If you pay your loan earlier, you still have to pay the finance charges. They told me that if I have a 20k loan with a 8k finance charge, even if I send more money to the principal, they will put it towards the interest and not the principal. So, if you decide to pay your 20k loan completly the next day, you will have to pay them 8k for the interest charges and 20k for the principal.

• Ca
    cadence Feb 12, 2013

Aside from showing no empathy towards my query pr situation.I want to bring to your attention the following .i cancelled my vitality in Novemeber last year, upon doing so an agent called me and i agreed to him send me info but at no stage did i say i am revoking my termination letter, they still billed me in jan and whwn i queried this they claim that by me accepting that the agent weould send me things i cancelled my termination, this doesnt make any sense to me as i cancelled for financial reasons and these heartless people thought nothing to debit my account without even notifiying me and to top it all i didnt even receive any brochures they claimed they were sending.

• Mo
    Morne Gouws May 20, 2014

As a client of almost 5 years, a would like to share with you that i think your company has the worst medical aid schemes available. And to make thing worse, you don't even offer a better scheme at a larger contribution .
    Your self payment gaps are a total rip off !! A client contributes R72000 per year, to have the full benefit of R9000. How is that possible ?? How can you even offer a product like this ? ( Your words, sorry sir, you don't have funds . Please pay R8000 before we can assist you again ) How do i benefit from this . I have two small kids . They need a medical aid just like any other person .
    What if i dont have the money to pay for a doctors visit ? Who will then sit with the problem ?? What backup do i have from Discovery ?

Terrible !! to say the least . No support, and useless to say the least !

chrcar010 Apr 20, 2015

On 12 March 2015 I paid R890 for services rendered by a health care professional. I submitted my claim to Discovery for reimbursement.
    I received confirmation from Discovery that I would be reimbursed on 21 March 2015. By the end of March 2015, I was still not reimbursed.
    I followed up telephonically with Discovery early April 2015, and was told that I would be reimbursed on Tues 7 April 2015 (day after public holiday). The agent apologised for the delay in payment and inconvenience caused.
    The 7th of April passed, without payment or communication from Discovery. I proceeded to email multiple departments to find out why I was receiving such poor service.
    I received a reply from Kgosi Setlhatlole on 10 April, stating that the R890 was offset against a 2014 accidental payment!?
    I was shocked by this reply and proceeded to email my dismay and disgust at what I had read. To date I have not received a follow-up email.
    I have even followed-up by calling Discovery. I was promised that my query would be escalated, but I have not heard anything from them since I called to complain on 11 April 2015.
    Discovery has no right to resolve a 2014 issue in 2015. Why was Discovery's 2014 mistake not rectified in 2014? I do not understand??? Also, how can Discovery use 2015 funds to settle 2014 matters. This is illegal.
    The unprofessional and unethical matter in which this case has been conducted has left me angry and seriously reconsidering my Discovery membership.
    Why am I being penalised for sloppy work on the part of Discovery? I suspect their communication has been lacking since they do not want to keep a paper trail of the misconduct they have engaged in. Fortunately I have proof of their misconduct.
    Discovery needs to reimburse me for my 2015 payment. Please escalate this matter.
    Kind regards,
    Carmen

• Ac
    Acriman36 Aug 22, 2016

I have been trying to get medical aid for my boyfriend since late august. I phoned and spoke to a gentleman who e-mailed me application forms. I filled them out and e-mailed them back. he never responded. then everytime I called for him, I would be given that whole 'he's in a call'. eventually I spoke to someone who gave me the new buss dept e-mail address and send throught the forms. my boyfriend received a text saying his application is being proccessed. I trid to call today and waisted my time as I was told I have no right. which is understandable so I gave the woman his number to confrence us, she said the call didnt go hrough and by then I was quite impatient because discovery seems to no be trying to meet me halfway here. and please note all I wanted to find out was if the medical aid is active or not. I dont even want t drag on but can someone at discovery call me just to find out if a medical aid is active???

I am really tired of calling your call centre. really now!

• Mi
    Michael Woleben Jun 04, 2017

I have yet to figure out if Discover Personal Loans is a scam or is run by a collection of idiots. My FICO score is above 800. I applied for a personal loan expecting a 7% rate .got a 13%. Being short of money at the time, I took the money and decided to pay it off within the month after some cash came to me. Anyway, I sent in a$600. The payment was $272. The loan was taken out on April 26. On May 5, I sent in a $1000 payment which was cancelled by Discover. I have no idea why. Having enough, on May 19, a payoff went in. They deposited it. Due to a glitch in their system, the payoff appeared three times. I called Discover and my credit union informing both of this. Discover assured me two would be cancelled and the third go through. They did cancel two and sent one back. This is because they got the three requests mixed up. This is where the real problem starts. They sy they sent it back but it never got to the credit union An officer of the credit union sent a FAX containing proof that it was not at the credit union. Finally on June 2 Discover said they found it. The balance is still on the account. For all the nonsense, I am going to demand several thousand dollars payment. If not, I am taking this to my lawyer. Needless to say, they will not get another penny.