Discount Book Salesnonexisting and misleading info SCAM

May 27, 2009
I belong to a Bible study group that was interested in 2 books by Joanna Weaver. They were advertised at $3.99 per book or $5.89
for large print. I wanted 6 of each book. Imagine my horror when I tried to order. Only 5 can be put into your cart. 1 came up at $3.99 and 4 came up at $8.99. I could not get past this, no matter what I did. I could not set up an account, nor could I sign in, SO I CALLED THEM!!!
I was informed over the phone that I could only order ONE book at 3.99, on a one time basis only otherwise each book cost 5.00 more.
SCAM-SCAM-SCAM!!!NOWHERE does it tell you this UNTIL you order the book you want. AND GUESS WHAT ?????? You also have to pay a membership of $12.00 per month PLUS.. Others say 29.95
I did not go any further . THEY GOT NOOOO INFO from me and thats when I started looking for a way to let people know about this web site.
I read the other complaints. Wish I had found this site sooner before telling my group about THE GOOD DEAL. IF THIS GOOD DEAL SEEMS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE. IT PROBABLY IS. AMEN!!!
BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE THIS COMPANY IS AS PHONY AS A THREE DOLLAR BILL, unless of course you want to pay their hidden costs. Thank You and God Bless All

• Fr
    Frank May 27, 2009

Stupid Bible thumping witch

• Lo
    Lorna Jun 15, 2009

Unfortunately, Discount Book Sale.com suckered me also. I should have realized the web site was shady when the first book you bought was incredibly cheep, then additional books where normal price. This tactic allows the web site to show on search engines with the "lowest price." When I received my VISA bill, there was an additional charge of $19.95 from Discount Book Sale. When I phoned their service representative, they stated that I did authorize the "membership fee" of $19.95 in the "terms and conditions" when going through the check out process. They would not refund this amount. I demanded a membership cancellation (this is important to give to your VISA card people). In reporting the web site to the VISA, they would not remove the charge since I voluntarily checked off the offer in the sale. SCAM! SCAM! SCAM! In reading other posts about Discount Book Sale.com it seems that this "membership fee" is not even the same amount to each customer. WOW! How do they get away with this !!!? >>> signed Lorna, Keyport, NJ.

• Ki
    Kim Straughn Jul 14, 2009

I had a similar negative experience. I ordered a book at $3.99 total was $8.79 with shipping and tax. I got an email 3 days later telling me the book was on back order. I was suspicious so I checked my CC and they had billed me $19.95. I was very upset and called the company. The lady told me there was a $19.95 membership fee and that there was a 3 day trial period that I could have cx'd the membership and not be charged. I said this information is no where on your website under any information. What kind of scam is this?. How convenient that they did not notify me of the back order until after the 3 day trial was up.. She told me they could not refund the money. So luckly I used my American Express. I called them and told them what happened and they said they would dispute it for me, refund the money and no other monthly charges would take place on my CC. Don't use any card on the internet except AMEX I have had a similar experience and AMEX is equipped to stand behind it's cardholders and protect them.

• Mj
    mjgmatx Aug 04, 2009

Yep, I got suckered too. The book $2.92, no where was there anything about a membership fee or monthly agreement. Apparently it was somewhere with the $5.00 off part. NO where on the invoice does it appear. The terms and conditions are non-existent if you search their website. I actually got charged a $1.00 processing fee and $29.95 from HotBookSales and then a week later the $2.92 for the book and that same date another $1.00 and another $29.95 from DiscountBookSales and then the following month $1 and $29.95 and a month after that $1 and $29.95. Then they started with the $12. They are outsourced so when you call them all you will get is you agreed to it, it's a membership fee and all I can do is cancel it. Don't waste your time asking questions, like why was I charged from two different sites a membership fee when I only went to one site and only ordered one book? Why was I charged the $30.95 three times and why now am I being charged $12. He could not answer these questions and put my on hold to "research" came back and told me there was a price drop, yeah right. I asked for a manager, he told me one was not available, but finally after I told him I no longer wanted to speak with him he got me someone else, she said she was a manager but would not give me any identifying information about herself, so I hung up. I called the Bank to dispute the charges but know it's a waste of time. Live and learn. I'm going to purchase a re-loadable prepaid visa to use on any future internet transactions. This place is also tied into something called SmartSavings (which also appears on my visa statement)

• Lm
    LMWSCD Aug 27, 2009

I was also a victim of DBS' fraud. Fortunately my bank representative called them for me and I was able to retrieve my $19.95 "membership fee". The DBS representative kept referring to something in fine print when I ordered a book. Well, as far as I am concerned it was written with invisible ink. There was nothing whatsoever about becoming a member and I would never have agreed to the ridiculous cost of $19.95/month. I am trying to find a street address or P.O. Box number so that I can report it to the Florida BBB. Anyone have more info on DBS?

• Bi
    billmac333 Sep 03, 2009

Add another one to the list. My wife ordered an "inexpensive" book back in July. 3 days later, unbeknowst to me, they charged me 19.95. Then again a month later. I finally caught it while reconciling my CC statement. I was informed of the "subscription" and promptly canceled it. Now I will postal mail them with my complaint and demand a refund. Then if they don't comply, I will begin the contest process with the CC company. By the way, even if a merchant doesn't end out having to refund, they still pay for every contest. The company I work for pays $35 a pop for every CC contest regardless of it's validity. It's the price of a contest "letter". What's more, every contest is added to the merchant's scoring which is used to determine their fees and rates. So, contest away people if DBS doesn't want to play fair.
    Their contact info:
    Boca Raton, FL, [protected]
    Phone: [protected]

• Di
    die DBS Sep 05, 2009

Yep - this company is as deceitful as they come. My wife got scammed, and I had to help with the rebuttal to their rebuttal to the credit card company. I'm looking forward to seeing if our time was well spent. I'm also filing a complaint with the BBB - the BBB site already gives them an "F" rating and their rating by clients is 1 star - the lowest possible. They hide the fee on the left side when you go to the page that you need to fill in for your order. The top of the fine print column says "Includes these premium benefits", and then further down lists Offer Details where they disclose the $19.95 fee. The terms and conditions that you agree to say that you really have no rights against them, and they can change this amount any time without notifying you, you have to check their website periodically to see if they have changed anything in the fine print - good luck with that!

Why Google allows them to be listed as number one for low priced books is a travesty. DBS takes advantage of the fact that if you are the top hit, then you must be reputable. Generally this is a true statement. DBS puts deceptively low book prices because they make it up in the monthly fees, and Google does not account for that.

To top it off they didn't even deliver my wife's book, yet claim they have a confirmation number. When you google the confirmation number it states that the item has not been delivered!

Avoid this company like the plague!

• Be
    bemoregrl Oct 23, 2009

I ordered a book from Discountbook sales which was cancelled same day because they could not obtain the title. I never signed up for any trial membership because I know these are scams to steal your money. They charged my account for a $1 and I never got any information. I filed a dispute with my bank and four days later they send me a cancellation email. I called them and they claim they sent me a welcome email which ofcourse the customer service person says it probably went to my spam. I check my spam email everyday and don't have a single email from them. I have opened a dispute and i'm reporting them to the BBB and anyone else who will listen. I hate it when companies rip hard working Americans.

• Pl
    Pleasebehonest Feb 11, 2010

I wished I had read these reviews prior ordering a book. After a not easy phone conversation, they did deposit back the membership fees they charged without my authorization, but I never received the book. I will not call them again, because I’m too afraid to be charged a “crazy” fee(s) they may have. So, I lost $4.95 on this SCAM website. Bad marketing for them, I am telling all my friends!!!

• Wi
    wickederzulie Feb 14, 2010

I can't believe I fell for this. The last couple of months I have been charged $9.95 for their "membership". I didn't even realize until I saw it today on my bank account. I immediately canceled the "membership" and called them. The lady on the phone said I agreed to sign up for a membership. I know for a fact that I did not do this because the transaction was like any online transaction. I only lost like $30.00 but it was an unnecessary $30.00. I guess it is true, if it is too good to be true than it is!!!

• So
    Sore grandma Feb 15, 2010

I am also a victim of this scam. I have been charged $12.00 a month since July (7 months) until I finally noticed what was going on. I had ordered 3 books, paid in full for them and was unaware that they put me in a book club for a fee every month!!! I am a fool for not seeing it sooner and I am trying to get my money back. Shame on them and shame on me for letting it go too long-I certainly will check my statements MUCH MORE CLOSELY from now on.

• Pu
    pumpkin82 Mar 27, 2010

This is a scam, but luckily, I caught it early! Canceling through their website was extremely easy, and, even with the membership fee, I still payed less for the book than what I would have in the store. I'm probably the happiest customer they've had (sarcasm of course)!

• Ir
    iris56 Mar 29, 2010

This is a scam --FRAUDULENT PRACTICES, stay away from this company. I will report them to the FLorida Better Business Bureau.

Anil10 Apr 07, 2010

Got cheated by them...as fradulent as you can get.I should have checked on them earlier. They have been deducting $9.95 for 4 months now toward membership which dos not exist. Taled to their Customer care and got a refund for 2 months. I need to file a complaint on them...where can I do this. Please help.

• Na
    NancyT10 Apr 30, 2010

Thiefs ! That's what they are - discovered yesterday that they have been charging my credit card for 9.95 a month for 4 months since Jan 2010 - Did not sign up or authorize any membership !! Called them - they refused to refund saying need their corporate office approval ... - This illegal business Needs to be shut down ASAP.

• Do
    Dougmore95 May 02, 2010

I have a better one for you, I have never delt with this company before, yet their charges are showing up on my credit card and when you call they claim they can't hear you and to call back later ---- STAY AWAY AND I DON'Y KNOW HOW, BUT STAY AWAY!!!

• Di
    DICK BRIGHTLY Feb 15, 2011

2/15/11 I am angry for all of us who fell unwittingly for this companies scam. None of us 'signed up' allowing this company DiscountBookSales to charge $9.95 monthly to be in their "club". Geeez...in this time where every dollar is important it is especially galling to be ripped off like this. I ordered a book visible on their website only to find that 28 days later my order was canceled. Why, I asked, do you continue to have this book appear as 'available' on your website when it is, in fact, not available? Now I know the answer...it is because with a 28 day cancellation the company gets their first month membership fee. I canceled immediately when the customer service rep shared the 'membership fee'...THIS MUST STOP! It turns out that at the bottom of many pages, in fine and font lightened print, it states the membership policy...there is also a very small icon that supposedly allows you to purchase without membership. I am on hold right now with the Fraud Dept of mt CC company and I am going to ban them specifically. I feel badly for all the folks these idiots have manipulated and abused for their hard earned dollars...UGH I AM REALLY MAD AT THIS KIND OF SCAMMING!

• Na
    Nahums Feb 17, 2011

My wife was ripped off, too. It took us 12 months to realize they'd been taking $9.95 a month from us each month. They refunded us 3 months' worth, but beyond that they refused to budge. We are now in the process of contacting Florida's Dept. of Consumer Affairs, plus our credit card company.

• Wo
    wolfshead Feb 24, 2011

I too got scammed but hopefully not badly. I ordered a number of books from this site after being lured in by that "discounted" first book. So far I haven't received any books but their tracking info shows that a package was sent USPS yesterday, a month after I ordered and 3 weeks after the supposed shipping date. This follows a number of order "updates from them and a sarcastic email from wondering why all these updates when nothing was happening. Of course I was also notified that one of the books was out of stock which was why the delay in shipping but told them to hell with it, get me my books so they cancelled the one and hopefully shipped the others. Soething was nagging at me today after checking on the shipment, the way they listed the payment in my account history, so I went to cc statement which arrived yesterday to make sure they didn't bill for the canceled book. They didn't but I did find a charge for $9.95 from last month. WTF was that? Started to write them another support ticket on the issue then saw it listed as a membership fee. I know I didn't see anything about a membership fee when I ordered, thought it was just a regular book site. Cancelled said membership band amended the ticket to inform them of the cancellation and that I had better not find any recurring charges on my cc. Will call the cc company in the morning to make sure no more charges from this site go on. if I do get the books I ordered between the cheapie first and the discounts on the other on the others I'll come out about even based on bookstore prices so as I said hopefully not hurt too bad. Will inform others to avoid this site