DeCoursey & DeLageLandencopy machine lease scam

About a decade ago I leased a copy machine (my 3rd over the years) with Decoursey Business Systems in KCMO. This was a standard type lease with a virtual $1.00 walk away at the end of the lease period. They, however, called it a Fair Market Value and told me the amount was negligible. I had never had a problem before and had no reason to not believe them. I paid for the lease - per my agreement. There were, however, early and continuing problems with monies charged for insurane on the machine. I had private insurance for everything in my office and repeatedly sent this to them with no response or remedy. I was busy - was angry - but decided to let it go. I knew, however, when the lease was up I would never do business with them again. Getting screwed a second time was not a viable option for me and my business. In time - Decoursey sold off the paper on my lease to a company in the Netherlands - DeLageLanden. They were merely a finance company & had no interest in copy machines. At the end of my lease I asked for termination - and was told that I could only do so once a year. This was not to be believed. I continued to pay an additional year - and also used the machine and tried to cancel at the time (minute) specified. When they would not cancel it the second time I parked the machine and rented (no more leases for me) a new - and better machine with a great company in KC. I have a fast machine that does everything through my computers (about a million copies in 5ish years) for half of what my lease was with Decoursey/DeLageLanden and maintenance is included in this fee. I have had this new machine for several years and am very very happy with service. In the meantime - DeLageLanden continues to charge me for the unit they won't take back. The unit has no value because it is obsolete and has been for several years. They pull figures out of their rear on a daily basis. Some days I owe them $1500 and other days (sometimes in the same day) I owe them 9, 000.

They have been harrassing me through lawyers and collections and have done this week after week for 3 years. When I contacted Decoursey several years ago to help with my problem - several people there took the atttitude that I was getting what I deserved because I didn't purchase a new unit with them. Gotta love this.

I currently have another company scamming me for money - Raintree Vacation Club - for an $1800 Special Fee on top of my current maintenance fee for new bedspreads and similar things that I already pay $1400 a year for in maintenance on a worthless ownership. I have decided to take both entitles on. De Lage actually called American Express but American Express told me what had occ. I still have my AmEX card (20 years) and have not forgotten. I know several local lawyers who have also had horrible experiences with De Lage Landen (not sure if they all started with DeCoursey) and I will retain one for my suit.

• Eq
    Equipment Guy Jul 18, 2011

To put it lightly, knowing what I know about this industry, it is sad that you went through what you did and DLL is known to be one of the worst companies in the leasing industry. I am the owner of one of the most reputable and oldest business equipment dealers in the nation and the blame first starts with the dealer/customer in most cases. Every dealer uses third party leasing companies to fund a deal. If the dealer is honest and maintains good communication/ provides proper instruction to their customers in regards to leasing company, these things do not happen. However with that being said, as a consumer, it is also your responsibility to do your due dilligence in following the guidelines of said lease and properly keeping record of said transaction. (Ex: Clauses of lease and type of lease)

John Smithers Jun 15, 2011

I call De Lage Landen to take back the copy machine and even told them I would be more than willing to make the remaining lease payments up front to by out the lease. They even refused to tell me how many months were left on the machine or when the lease expired. Although I did have that information in front of me. They are refusing to take back the machine by trying to make me answer tons of questions about my business that are totaly unrelated to the copy machine lease. This organazations business practices should be the subject of a criminal investigation by the US attorneys office.

• Bo
    Bob Morello Mar 05, 2010

The company De Lage Landen are thieves. They prey on companies making errors. They hit us with a penalty because we didn't send a letter saying we didn't want to extend our lease past the original 3 year term. Since when do you have to tell a company you don't want to lease equipment when you only signed on to 3 years from the get-go? Seems like they looked at the statistics and figured this is an area they can game the systems to their advantage, but counting on busy companies not keeping up on their obligations to send a cancelation notice 90 days prior to a lease ending. And don't get me started about dealing with DLL for the 3 years we had to. They sent late notices almost at the same time they sent the monthly invoices. We were constantly debating late charges for payments we made and tthey cashed the checks. The people at DLL iare downright unfriendly as well. I will never, ever deal with these people, and I will never pass up an opportunity to tell my peers about this.

• Be
    beautychicknyc Dec 31, 2009

OH YES! My ongoing issue/battle is with both TGI & De Lage Landen. Same basic background: a fax machine lease that I had been trying to cancel for 8 MONTHS! Everyone wants to pass the buck and blame but guess who gets screwed in the end? US! It's disgusting, unethical and underhanded the way these companies operate. I read somewhere else about a possible class action lawsuit against them and seriously considering it if they do not waive or DRASTICALLY reduce what they claim we owe them b/c while everyone was ducking from their jobs and copping attitudes, our lease "accidentally" renewed itself. Scammers!