DBS BooksUnauthorized &Membership Fee&

F Review updated:

I ordered a book from DBS Books for a total cost of $4.24. After reviewing my bank account on-line, I discovered a $19.95 charge to my account. I immediately called the 800 number listed and found that the charge was for a "membership fee". I requested a refund since I didn't sign-up for membership and was told that an email was sent with 3 days to respond and that since I had not responded within that time frame the membership fee could not be refunded. I asked to speak to a manager or someone that could authorize the refund and was told there was no one else to talk to. I was offered a P O Box address in Boca Raton, FL where I could submit a complaint. I am furious about this fraudulent, involuntary charge and the response I got from the telephone representative. After some research on the internet, I found over 20 complaints against this company just for the month of August 2009 (today is 8/25/09). This company is STEALING money by way of unauthorized, bogus membership fees. I have forwarded my dispute to my bank to get a refund and will send a complaint to the PO Box in Boca Raton in addition to complaining here and on other "RIP-OFF" websites.

• B
      Aug 25, 2009

The site says "MEMBER PRICE". Did you not wonder what being a member meant? It's not DBS's fault that you can't read a Web site. A quick look at the Web site and it's clear there are TWO prices for each book.

• L
      Aug 27, 2009

I had the exact same thing happen to me. And as "bobtheman" says, there is not a "member" price. The website has a list price, which is marked out and "your price". I believe you'll find that other legitimate websites (such as amazon) use this same way to show the discount you're getting, all without signing you up for a bogus "membership". I have already filed a complaint with the Florida BBB and will be talking with my cc company to dispute this charge.

• B
      Sep 14, 2009

No.. I WENT to the site and it said "MEMBER PRICE." There were 2 prices: YOUR PRICE and then a MEMBER PRICE which was much lower.

• S
      Sep 26, 2009

My wife got hit by the same company. I called them up and told the I was going to file every complaint in the book from the Attorney General of Florida to the BBB and of course my credit card. My credit card company just called and said there was little they could do. The BBB has an F rating with 133 complaints. Only 2 of the complaints got a full refund. So apparently, these cheats have considered all angles and there game is to charge you until you realize you have been charged, give some money back and keep the rest. They hope you will be satisfied and go away. This is where law abiding citizens should do everything legal to put these scam artists out of business. They are evidently not afraid of the law. Where is our protection? This story deserves some sort of new investigative team to shut these people down. If you can shine the light on their operation then maybe the Government will prosecute and send these guys to jail. Notice that you have to address a complaint to a PO Box. That is your first clue that they are not legitimate. The online merchants should act cohesively to shut down the bad guys. From my prospective, I will not do business on-line unless I know I have some sort of protection. Now I may be the exception but I guarantee that scam artist will become more pervasive if Government allows them to steel money in this way. This will definitely jeopardize internet commerce moving forward. My recommendation is to not do business with this company. They have discount in their name but are thieves in their actions.