Cyprexx servicesmoney

I have not been paid on services I performed since I gave notice to terminate my relations with them. They owe me over $2000.
Upon contacting them all they tell me is that they are in payables. On my last contact with them they told me I had a fail winterization and are keeping the money. How can they do this? Who do I contact besides an attorney on this company.
How are they going to do the 1099 form? How can they deduct 9% on each check. I am an independent contractor do not have 3 or more employees which is a requirement in the state of WI for workers comp.