C.TIRE /YARDWORKS24V CORDLESS LAWN MOWER BATTERY MODEL [protected]

K

Purchased a Canadian Tire YARDWORKS 24 V cordless lawn mower May 04 2007. Worked well last summer. Stored over the winter as per instructions on page five of owners manual ie. Store fully charged for not more than 6 months with the average temperature below 10 c. This spring lawn mower would not take a full charge and would not hold a charge making it impossible to cut the lawn in one session. Took the top off the mower only to find that one of the two 12 volt cells is distorted in appearance, the other one is fine. I called Yardworks toll free help line only to be told that I had improperly stored the mower and the damage to the battery was my fault. A replacement would cost $120.00. The battery actually needs to be charged every two weeks during the winter according to the Yardworks help line.
I spoke to an individual who works for a battery company located within the GTA and he indicated that proper storage for the battery was exactly as I had done. Store fully charged in an unheated storage shed
at winter temperatures in my area.

CONCLUSION : YARDWORKS is using poor quality batteries in their products which subsequently have a high failure rate. This is not an uncommon problem. I have experienced it with automotive batteries as well BUT the difference is this the automotive battery supplier stood behind their product and replaced it.
YARDWORKS DOESN'T STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS. THEIR PRODUCTS ARE CHEAPER BECAUSE THEY ARE CHEAPLY BUILT. DO NOT BUY YARDWORKS PRODUCTS!!!

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR...WITH YARDWORKS YOU GET GRIEF !!!

• Ya
    YardWorks May 20, 2018

Where can I buy a battery [protected] for my 60-1753 YardWorks push mower?

Ralph Wetzel
    [protected]
    [email protected]

• Ju
    junkmaneast Aug 06, 2016

Any wet cell, gel etc battery needs to be charged or have a maintenance charger on it all winter, specially if stored in a cold area. Cold is a killer of this kind of battery. Lead acid batteries will sulfate if they sit without being charged all the time. If you let them go dead or get to low in charge in the cold, it will most likely be dead the next year. When working in a motorcycle shop, every spring we would sell hundreds of batteries because people do not keep a maintainer on the. In the last few years, I have had a big problem finding a maintainer that would keep my current Harley battery charged. I went through about 10 Schumacher charges and one Battery Tender and out of all of them only one works right. It comes on when it has a drain or the amps get low, all the rest show charged but it will be very weak or dead. For some odd reason, they will not come on when it gets low. Just one will. It is not the bike because I tried it on another scooter and they did not work on it either. If this one dies, I will be in trouble. Bottom line is you cannot store a car, motorcycle, boat, lead acid, gel type of battery without keeping it charged or you will be buying a new one every year.

janice collard Jun 01, 2016

I have actually been relatively happy with this mower that I bought in 2012. I knew it wasn't particularly powerful but it was light to maneuver and cut either the front or the back in one shot. Charged and used it twice this spring and then plugged it in again to charge a few days ago. Within several hours I could smell an awful smell but did not connect the smell with the battery being charged - thought it was garbage that had spilled, or a sewer... When I finally figured it out, the battery case was red hot and so was the wood floor that it was sitting on !! I carefully unplugged it and carried it outside - dripping something as it went!! Thankfully there is no damage to the hardwood floor.
    I feel like I dodged a bullet and that things could have been much worse if it had been plugged in overnight when I wouldn't have noticed the smell or the heat !! When it cooled down I saw that the entire case has expanded to a huge size !
    After this experience and all these other complaints there is no way I am even going to try to replace the battery... Moving to a townhouse - Looking for a push mower ! Newmarket, ON

• Le
    les2900 May 23, 2016

I know the last post here was done some time ago... nevertheless, that`s the same problem I`m having now. Wife bought this Yardworks crap because it was more "affordable". Used it for 2 years. This year, no more. When I plug the charger in the battery, the green light on the charger comes on, teeling me the battery is fully charged... but the battery, in fact, is dead! Canadian Tire doesn`t sell this 2-3 years old model batteries anymore and they told me that it can be ordered. it will take 6-8 weeks plus $115... I don`t realy have that much of a problem with the price, but why does it take almost 2 months to get it in? Seriously?...when in 24 hours you can receive something shipped from the other side of the world? When i buy things on line, i can have it at my door step in 2 weks or less, from China, Taiwan, Phillipines, etc... If I order it now, I might get by the end of the summer... And then, you run into this Enviromentally Friendly crap... where you have to get rid of your perfectly good working condition lawnmower because you can`t JUST go and get a replacement battery. Instead, spend $500 on another cordless lawnmower which, again, in 2-3 years its gonna be absolete because they don`t make, or you can`t find, replacement batteries for it. I wondering if the Guvernment, which is making people pay this ECO tax, is seeing this vicious circle?

• Re
    Reno Man Sep 20, 2014

I hope everyone can follow my lead, get in touch with the BBB, your local newspaper, your local TV Station, direct them to here. I will try 20/20, and Market Place

Anniecam Jul 04, 2014

Same sad story! Only two years use and the green light that continues to light up when supposedly charged, does NOT mean...go! They don't build things to last anymore or profits would suffer instead of just the consumers! Should be better laws for customer service as well. Never again!

• Wh
    whitepearl41 Aug 15, 2013

I purchased one of your fabulous(NOT)lawnmowers March of 2011, waited for summer of 2012 cut my grass all summer ., came winter stored the battery and charger like it said .Went to cut my grass this summer of 2013, the battery was swollen and the charger wasn't working ...so much for keeping it indoors and looking after it right? My question is to Yardworks Product producers, , don't you think you should honor us with a new battery and charger specially when the battery doesn't last for two summers...you do have a lousy product and i will never buy another product of yours ever, , having the same problem with my weed wacker that is one of your products...all of your product suck big time and you should stop making them.I am not very happy about all of this, , saving my money to buy a good lawnmower so i thought and it turned out to be a piece of crap, , i can't afford your batteries and charger, they together are more than the lawnmower itself .how stupid is that .Anyways i think you should do something about the customers that purchased your products ., Me in Manitoba

• Pa
    Paul Bernardo May 28, 2012

I made the mistake of buying both the 24v mower and a trimmer with a total cost of $500+. Both worked fine the 3 times I used them last summer. I too kept the batteries charged (so I thought) over the winter. Well, I tried firing both machines up last week and despite the charger showed that the batteries were 100% charged, neither the mower nor the trimmer work. Canadian Tire refuses to take them back and as other have stated, sent me to a "Yardworks-approved" shop to have then assess the problem. Total scam here. I refuse to buy a new battery or charger. I can highly recommend the GARDENA Hand Cylinder Lawnmower 380 C. You push it yourself - no battery, no charging, no cord, no noise. It works extremely well and is not much harder than pushing a normal corded gas mower (it does have some difficulty with really long grass.) Sharpen the blade once a year and you're good. I'm done with Canadian Tire and their Yardworks brand.

• Le
    Lesfenderpaul Apr 25, 2012

OK i know you all are going to disagree but i just bought a yard works knowing all about these problems and i have just one comment my cell phone after a while I had to replace the battery. My car had it three years had to put a new Battery in it. My watch guess what had a put a new battery my weed whacker you guessed it. So the only gripe i have is that the batteries should be sold openly on the market.

• Li
    Linkk Oct 10, 2011

If any of you do not trust the charger that came with your mower, goto www.soneil.com and find your local distributer. Any of their 24v units will work.
    For replacement batterys go to Alexander Battery.com or www.totalbattery.com/ here in Ottawa Canada.
    I also found out that my replacements were a little taller, so you might have to wrestle with the hold down straps a bit.
    p.s. the self discharge of lead batterys are up to 10 percent per month. just think of all those little crystals forming a club on the plates.

canott - you batteries survived because the constant input of cuttent kept them warm enough too not freeze. The optimal operating temp for lead acid batterys are about 20C.

Rob
    Ottawa Canada

canott Oct 09, 2011

Bought one of the first mowers - works very well - replaced battery - after several years of operation - keep it plug in over winter in unheated garage - never any problems.

• Li
    Linkk Oct 09, 2011

I just received a Yardworks Mower with ded batteries and charger. three reasons ;
    1- The previous owner moved
    2- The charger wasn't working
    3- Both batteries were drained to 0.14 and 0.00 volts.
    Fixes:
    1- Can't do anything about someone moving

2- The idiot who designed the charger made two mistakes;
    a- (S)He installed a temperature fuse inside the chargers transformer. When it gets to the trip point, ... rendering it useless because of a 2 cent piece that should not be there in the first palce. If it needs a fuse, put one in where it can easily be accesed.
    b- A fan was not designed into it. a fan, even a small one will prevent it from overheating.

3- Lead Acid Batterys regardless if they are flooded(car battery) or gel, or any other composition, when they become depleated, THEY M U S T BE RECHARGED I M M E D I A T L Y.
    THEY DO NOT LIKE BEING LEFT IN A DISCHARGED OR PARTIALLY DISCHARGED STATE.
    reread that sentance again until you see it in your sleep.

The chemical reaction during discharging(usage) creates sulfates. These sulfates attatch themselves to the plates in the battery and crystalize, increasing the resistance, and decreasing the capacity. A fully discharged 12v battery is 10.50 volts, when its fully charged its 13.6- 13.8v. Anywhere outside that range and your doing nothing but damaging the battery. The sulfation can be removed, but it is time consuming, and depending where you get the desulfators, can be a bit expensive.

4- The operators manual is nothing but a guidline. They know nothing about lead batterys. When you put your mower to bed for the winter, bring it inside out of the cold. Leave the charger connected and plugged in ALL winter. Not just for short top-ups. As soon as the charger is disconnected the battery(s) start to discharge all on their own, causing the aforementioned sulfation.
    lead acid batterys also do not work well in the cold, like us humans neither do we, in general.

The easiest way to prevent sulfation and premature battery death is to simply keep them on their charger when ever your not using the machine. this way it will be fully charged and ready to go when you are.

Rob
    Ottawa Canada

• 19
    1981sonorhilit Jun 04, 2011

Hi all, I am having a same problem with my yarkwork lawn mower and I do agreed with you all.So, the bottom line is that I could had went out and buy a gas lawn mower for $400.00, the same price when the first model Yard Works came out on the market for $499.00.I'm getting rid of this cordless lawn mower and go with other good name brand lawn mower.Yard Work are not being supportive!!

Simon Hussein

• Mi
    MikeChe May 31, 2011

brought two years ago, battery died after first use, still in summer, when I take it back to 64ave store, the manager told me I need to take the mower back to get the battery exchanged. After I took the mower back, he changed his idea, and tell me it must be damaged by leave the battery outdoor in the winter. (I'm a electronic engineer and have always kept all my battery in my basement workshop). I told him I kept my battery and mower separately, but he still refuse to believe. I never buy anything from that store again.

I took the mower to another CT store, this time they replaced the battery for me, but a USED one! I ask them why, they told me, it's not possible to open a new mower to give me a new battery, and the used one is almost "new"

the "new" battery died this year, I have used it for 3 times. so this $300 junk mower has a life span of 6 hours. and I need to pay $10 to dump it in the landfill.

JanetS May 26, 2011

I have a [protected]. The battery "shows" as FULLY CHARGED, but it is dead. I

• Bh
    bhbell May 23, 2011

I am starting my fourth season with a Yardworks cordless mower. It worked well for the first 3 summers. I was able to mow my lawn ( smaller than average) 2 -3 times between charges. Towards the end of the 3rd summer, I started to notice reduced power when mowing. I also had to charge the mower after every use. I mowed the lawn once this year after a full charge and barely made it through with the mower seeming to run and about 1/2 power.
    I decided to take the mower apart to investigate. As others have mentioned, I found 2 batteries inside, cabled together. I found one of the connecting bolts to be slightly loose. I cleaned up the connectors and re-tightened the bolt. After re-assembling the mower and recharging the battery, the mower seems to be back to its original performance. Try this first if you are having problems!
    Brian - Regina

canott May 17, 2011

FULLY AGREE HAVE EVEN CONTACTED YARDWORKS/SUNRISE SOLD ME A NEW BATTERY - ASK FOR AN EMAIL COPY OF WIRING DIAGRAM JUST IN CASE I REWIRE INCORRECTLY - STILL WAITING.
    ALSO TRIED OUT THE SELF PROPELLED VERSION - GREAT IF YOU ARE A 100 METER SPRINTER - CALLED YARDWORKS TOLD IT SHOULD RUN AT 1MPH - NO WAY - RETURNED TO CT AND TESTED ANOTHER ONE WITH THE MANAGER - SAME THING - WHAT ARE THESE PEOPLE SELLING - I CAN TELL YOU CHEAP CHINESE MADE EQUIPMENT.
    SHOULD CHECK OUT OTHER MODELS SOLD BY HOME DEPOT.

• Si
    siuming May 10, 2011

I had exactly the same problem. I am very very angry about the product!

• Al
    Aleziss Nov 19, 2010

I also have this lawn mower. I've been able to replace the original battery with 2 12V 17Ah in series. They cost 29.95 each in an electronic parts store (Addison in Montreal). I also think that the YW charger is not good that is why so many people have dead batteries the following season even though they are stored in a heated garage or shed. So for around 70$ I can replace the batteries in that lawn mower. I think it need a smart 24v battery charger and the problem will be solved. All in all, I think the YW lawn mower is not that bad besides the battery and charger. I had no problem cutting grass with it. The issue is really, I think the charger. Sealed lead acid batteries have a life of around 2 to 5 years. Important never let them completely discharge and you get good result. Beware that even though you buy another brand of lawn mower that uses newer battery pack with NiMH, LiPo or what ever newer thechnology battery, they will cost a fortune to replace. The YW permits us to replace it with standard battery format. The other ones, no, you need to buy a special battery pack that you are obligated to replace when it is dead. I sthill think the YW, just for the fact that the batteries can be replace, is still cool. Other than that, I would never buy a lawn mower with a battery pack instead of standard batteries.

Carljw Jun 12, 2010

Hi - I haven't had many problems with this until my battery died after 3 yrs, replaced one of the cells from Total Battery in Ottawa. My problem is I didn't take a pic of the wiring diagram and the manual doesn't have it. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or a pic of the wiring? thx

• Ne
    nekocanada Jun 07, 2010

Oh, my battery worked just fine after 2 years, until the charger melted and took the battery with it. Followed the instructions and everything and guess what... Yardworks replaced the charger but WILL NOT replace the battery even though it's their charger that destroyed it. So happy effen day, I was happy with mine until it tried to take my housed down. Yardworks swears up and down it wouldn't have burned my house down... my repsonse "electrical fires and molten batteries don't tend to do that." This company doesn't give a crap. When I said I'll never purchase another yardworks product, the person just said "I'm sorry we haven't lived up to your standards." Beg pardon what? My standards is the product doesn't put my family's life in danger with the smoke and the fire!

• Mi
    Milt ChangetheBattery May 18, 2010

Well I solved the problem. I put in another battery. Oh, don't think I didn't try to give it back to Canadian tire or try the warranty limits. Neither worked.

I bought a replacement battery for the yardworks model [protected] lawnmover. Actually it was 2 batteries...

I thought I would help out others by showing a video on how to change it.

visit the blog at http://yardworksbatterylawnmover.blogspot.com/

I explain it all there...

Good luck.

• Pe
    Perchie May 15, 2010

My battery also went dead after last winter. I looked at CDN Tire for a replacement battery and had no luck, so I had to bring it to a lawnmower repair shop recommended by Yardworks. Well the battery worked great for the season but is now dead again after another winter. I agree that these batteries suck!

I am going to buy the new Black & Decker 36V lawn mower ... at least its a company with a much better reputation.

• Pl
    plaplante May 04, 2010

I am having the same problem. I charged the battery as instructed over the winters to keep the charge up only to have very poor performance this spring 2010. I am going to contact CDN Tire next to see the response. I am in for a lawsuit if one happens

• Sk
    Skullnick Oct 07, 2009

I also bought the 24volt yardworks lawnmower in summer 2007 from Canadian tire, I followed the charging instructions carefully wanting to make sure I get the most of the battery...this summer (2009) the charge would last no more than 5 minutes. This is the last product I buy from Canadian tire.

Someone has got to stop this insanity and do something about the junk that is being sold at Canadian Tire...The Canadian government is spending millions, maybe billions on going green in this country and here is a prominent Canadian company that is spewing junk onto Canadian consumers. Companies like this are the perfect example of why our landfills are being filled at such a rapid rate... the milk I buy at my local grocery store has a longer shelf life than their products.

Someone has to make this organization accountable.

Nick,
    From Quebec

• Bu
    Bui Aug 24, 2009

i have the same problem. Battery dead after less than one year. Bought a new battery for 99 dollars and now the battery charger is dead without reason and i could not find a replacement at the canadian tire. Yardworks products are suck. Totally agree with all the complaints.

• Bl
    BL. McDonald Aug 22, 2009

This is my second battery powered lawn mower. In 2004 I bought a small Gardena (small in size not in price) German made lawn motor from Crappy Tire and the battery failed with the first two years. Although I have a small lawn I believe the battery was too small to mow the complete lawn therefore I bought that larger 24 V Battery-Powered Yard Works Reel Mover. Same thing the battery lasted less than two years. I had it checked out by a Battery store and it was all corrode so much so that the screw attachments were oxidize. I followed their storage instructions to the letter and was going to call the 800 number until I read all of these complaints. Never again will I buy a battery powered motor, never again will I buy anything from Yard Works or Canadian Tire who don`t stand behind their product. B.McDonald

• Ka
    Kataklysm01 Aug 21, 2009

I've found and ordered a 24 volt battery pack (dual 12v) and 5 amp charger that match what I had in the mower. It's not cheap but I think that it will outperform anything from Canadian Tire given that the rest of the mower keeps working. They ship to Canada.

TR22-24 Tempest AGM, Valve Regulated, Maintenance Free, Sealed Lead Acid Rechargeable Batteries (TR22-12N2)

BC-24-5000F-19 Tempest Smart Battery Charger

• St
    Stef433 Aug 16, 2009

I have got exactly the same problem with the one I bought in Sept 2007. I thought the concept was fantastic but I guest I was wrong, very wrong. Cut the grass twice with it, stored it for the winter and the next spring it was dead. Complaint to the store they gave me a battery and the charger of a lawn mower still in the box, it last a season, again the following spring it was dead. Now this piece of mower crap that I paid almost $400.00 is seating in the basement and I can’t do anything about it.

Matt Aug 05, 2009

I would LOOOOVE to participate in a class action law suit... if for no other reason than to shed light on the garbage products that Canadian Tire continues to sell.

I'd also be very interested in a replacement battery that's better than the Yardworks one... especially if it came with a decent warranty. Anyone have a link to something like this? Maybe we could order a few at once?

• Ho
    Homeland Aug 05, 2009

Has anyone thought of submitting a law suit against Canadian Tire and Yardworks for selling an obviously inferior product? A class action suit was successfully leveled against Apple computers some years back for knowingly selling faulty power adapters. Anyone who owned the product had it replaced at no extra cost. Or better yet those bringing back a dead mower would receive some form of monetary compensation. Just a thought.

I also heard that one can replace the faulty battery with a better quality one (which of course Canadian Tire does not carry). I am in the hunt for such a beast here in the Ottawa area.

Richard

• Bl
    Blondbuderfli Jul 10, 2009

Same problem here, and have 2 batteries. Proper storage during winter, and no charge in either of them. CT and Yardworks inform me that there is nothing they can do for me as I have owned them 2 years...and batteries only have a 1 year warranty.
    Did I mention, my local CT has no replacement ones in stock, haven't since April, and claim they are back ordered until September...What a joke!!!
    Wonder how long it will take me to mow my lawn with my Black and Decker rechargeable whippersnipper...which, by the way, has lasted me 4 years now!!

• Da
    Dave Clark Jul 02, 2009

After all these comments, has anyone actually solved the problems - I've had the battery/starter switch/ front wheels fall off situations myself and am now at the "won't start at all - again" stage - close to buying a gas unit and pushing this thing off a cliff - H E L P !!!
    Dave Clark

• Rh
    R. Hoover Jun 30, 2009

Same problem here in Orillia. I stored the battery inside over the winter after a 2nd summer of use. Charged it up (green light went on) and eagerly started it up - Lasted about 3 minutes then slowly died right there on my front lawn in front of the neighbours. The green light was still on.
    I'm not a genius but to me, a green light means good to go. This battery was no go and won't take a charge at all now.
    I got through to the Yardworks customer support - their response was to question if I charged the battery every 2 weeks in my heated basement. As we vacation during the winter, this is not possible. I asked her if I should take the new battery that I will have to purchase for $125.00 to Florida with us so I can take proper care of it. She giggled a bit as if she had heard this kind of comment before.
    I won't be buying a new battery. But will be buying a new non-Yardworks mower. Anyone want a cute green planter that you can fill with panzies and move around your garden?

• Ni
    Nik Jun 15, 2009

I bought the Yardworks 24V cordless last summer. Yesterday, the battery finally died. It worked well last summer, but this spring the battery would hold a charge less and less.
    I thought I was doing the right "eco" thing by buying cordless, but I'm not dishing out $120 a year for a battery. So yesterday I bought a noisy gas mower.
    Do not buy any cordless mowers! Not only do you waste money on batteries, but they have no power - if you don't mow your lawn every week you're screwed!

Mac Jun 05, 2009

Does anyone have any suggestions how to proceed ?

Mac Jun 05, 2009

Can these emails be sent to CT or yardworks ? CT claims that the product has two years warranty and the battery 1 year. Yardworks is stealing from people by reporting and collecting more money. I am sure CT gets a commission for each battery sold.

I am going to call someone in the ministry and see what they can do.

Mac Jun 05, 2009

Worst support from Yardworks and CT. Got a run around from the store to the call center of yardworks.

Matt Jun 02, 2009

Wow... at least I'm not alone. Ugh, that doesn't make it any better.

I bought one of these pieces of junk in May 2007. It was a refurb model at Crappy Tire and it cut my lawn exactly once before dying. I brought it in to the store and they sent it to a local guy for repair. A month later I picked it up and managed to cut my lawn maaaaybe two times. Then the same thing... battery wouldn't hold a charge for more than 2 minutes.

I took this refurb unit back in to Crappy Tire and spoke a manager. He agreed that the refurb unit was a lemon and allowed me to pay the difference in price for a brand new unit. Yay! This one worked for the rest of the season, which was maybe 2 cuts.

Next spring (2008) same old problem. Of course I had stored it as per the manual instructions which, given what I've read above, are wrong. I risked yet another hernia chucking the machine in the back of my jeep. Off for another local repair, I got it back last summer. Shockingly, exact same problem. 2 cuts and done.

Frustrated, I kinda gave up and ignored it until now. I just got back from yet another visit to Crappy Tire to see what could be done. The "customer service" guy was totally clueless and some guy in a suit wandered over. He explained to me that these batteries are "expected to fail after 1 year" and that I should buy a new battery as part of routine maintenance. To make me feel better he also said that this was to make up for the fact that I didn't have to pay for oil or gas. I laughed at him and said it was a joke that Crappy Tire keeps selling these units. He agreed which wasn't really much help.

So now I'm stuck. I have this useless behemoth sitting in my garage yet again. I don't want to waste $150 on another battery knowing that it will die in a few months time. And I can't justify selling it to anyone knowing what I know. Unless I can sell it to a Crappy Tire rep in a suit. That I'd be ok with.

• Da
    dan in sask Jun 02, 2009

Fully agree - ### support! Bought the 14" mower in 2007...by midyear 2008 the battery would only last for half a front lawn...Canadian Tire here swapped me the battery from their floor model (which seemed to charge but never had a green light - only amber or red).

Now this battery is dead and neither CTire nor Yardworks will supply a battery under warranty. Want me to buy one at $120. Half the price of the mower when they put it on sale!

At this rate, buying a battery a year, and disposing of the old, I would be more enviromentally friendly running a sorely out of tune diesel powered mower!

Very unhappy with quality, and support. Will remember the name YardWorks as a "to be avoided atall cost" brand.