C.TIRE /YARDWORKS24V CORDLESS LAWN MOWER BATTERY MODEL [protected]

K

Purchased a Canadian Tire YARDWORKS 24 V cordless lawn mower May 04 2007. Worked well last summer. Stored over the winter as per instructions on page five of owners manual ie. Store fully charged for not more than 6 months with the average temperature below 10 c. This spring lawn mower would not take a full charge and would not hold a charge making it impossible to cut the lawn in one session. Took the top off the mower only to find that one of the two 12 volt cells is distorted in appearance, the other one is fine. I called Yardworks toll free help line only to be told that I had improperly stored the mower and the damage to the battery was my fault. A replacement would cost $120.00. The battery actually needs to be charged every two weeks during the winter according to the Yardworks help line.
I spoke to an individual who works for a battery company located within the GTA and he indicated that proper storage for the battery was exactly as I had done. Store fully charged in an unheated storage shed
at winter temperatures in my area.

CONCLUSION : YARDWORKS is using poor quality batteries in their products which subsequently have a high failure rate. This is not an uncommon problem. I have experienced it with automotive batteries as well BUT the difference is this the automotive battery supplier stood behind their product and replaced it.
YARDWORKS DOESN'T STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS. THEIR PRODUCTS ARE CHEAPER BECAUSE THEY ARE CHEAPLY BUILT. DO NOT BUY YARDWORKS PRODUCTS!!!

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR...WITH YARDWORKS YOU GET GRIEF !!!

• Ti
    tilallr1 Aug 25, 2008

Have the exact same problem as you. Stored properly over winter and dead in the spring. When I needed it too. Brought to Canadian Tire only to be told that I had to deal with Yardworks support. Called several times, and never got a phone call back. So was forced to buy a replacement battery for $100 !!! CRAZY !!! So after about 3 months of use it began to have less and less of a charge till now it is dead. AGAIN!!! NO WINTER. The batteries suck. Wonder if I can replace batteries in casing myself??? Any suggestions?

Please note that the replacement battery container is very generic and you can easily swap your bad battery with the newly purchased replacement battery and return to Canadian Tire. If you want.

• Bo
    bob Aug 26, 2008

I am currently going through the same issue...although I haven't contacted YARDWORKS yet as I am just now discovering that I am not going crazy but that it is an issue with the lawn mower.

• Pi
    Pierre Sep 01, 2008

Same issue, purchased one in May 2007 at CT Kirkland Quebec, stored properly over the winter in my heated garage and now will not hold a charge beyond a few minutes.

• Mj
    MJ Brown Sep 13, 2008

Same problem I had. Yardworks sucks!

• Ge
    Gerry Degenhardt Sep 13, 2008

Bought a 24V 60-l767-6 cordless lawn mower in May 2007, battery never held charge properly. Was told we were doing it wrong. Stored lawn mower according to instructions over winter of 07-08 . When tried to use mower in spring of 08, battery never worked at all. Canadian Tire order new one for us because they no longer sell them. Waited 7 weeks, got battery but it was the wrong one, so they had to send it back. Waited another few weeks, got fed up and called yardworks direct. Had right battery four days later, but had to pay 126.00 for it as it was no longer under warrenty after all this hassle. Went to use lawn mower today Sept/o8 and front wheels fell off. Husband says he is throwing it out and not ever buying yardworks again. Everyone is right YARDWORK PRODUCTS STINK.

Dave Oct 05, 2008

Purchased my 24v Yard Works May 2006. Got 2 full summers out of the battery before it died in the spring 2008. I purchased a replacement battery in May 2008 from Canadian Tire for $100.00.
    This battery lasted until the end of August when it also would not fully charge. The battery would show all 3 green lights on that indicated it was fully charged and then as soon as I started using it in the mover the battery would be completely drained in less than a minute. This has eneded my experiment with a cordless mover.

• Do
    Doug Oct 28, 2008

As per you're comment on

at winter temperatures in my area.

The battery is a Lead Acid battery and with that needs to be charged more oftin then once every 6 months or it will deplete itself. I have had my unit for well over 2 years now, and follow the charges through the winter perfect and have had no problems. If you did not charge you're battery through the winter season that will cause damage.

• Te
    ted May 10, 2009

Had the same problem... even on the second battery! Did what the instructions said, charged it every two weeks over the winter. Used it for the first time last week and it wouldn't even make it through half of my front yard ( which is very small! ) These rechargable lawn mowers suck! The first one I had was a black & decker and it sucked too. From now on... sorry about the environment. I think I'll have to get a noisy gas guzzler so I can at least do my whole lawn in one day.

• Ya
    yard works May 11, 2009

I bought a yard works mower last summer I bought the battery in the house to store over winter and charge it on a regular basis.I took it out last week to cut my grass and I only got to do one strip then it died.I was truly very disapppointed in this mover.I am a single woman I thought this mower would be great no gas or oil, no electric cord to run over but it sure did let me down.

• Cr
    cruisetheblues May 20, 2009

Same thing in Halifax; stored as directed, unable to use this year. Is anyone getting any satisfaction out of C Tire or Yardworks? I hate to just throw it out and buy a gas machine.

• Hu
    humphreg May 23, 2009

This mower was recalled in 2003 due to fire hazard caused by battery connection design. Look up the CBC.ca Marketplace article. Of course CTC kept selling them anyway until they were out of stock. I know since I bought one also.

• Ne
    Netz May 29, 2009

I have the same problem, battery will not hold a charge. Mower is two years old. Does this mean you have to buy a $ 120.00 battery every two years.

I bought a reel mower and will use it, tired of problems with gas and electric. Probably be saying the same thing with the reel mower next summer.

dan in sask Jun 02, 2009

Fully agree - ### support! Bought the 14" mower in 2007...by midyear 2008 the battery would only last for half a front lawn...Canadian Tire here swapped me the battery from their floor model (which seemed to charge but never had a green light - only amber or red).

Now this battery is dead and neither CTire nor Yardworks will supply a battery under warranty. Want me to buy one at $120. Half the price of the mower when they put it on sale!

At this rate, buying a battery a year, and disposing of the old, I would be more enviromentally friendly running a sorely out of tune diesel powered mower!

Very unhappy with quality, and support. Will remember the name YardWorks as a "to be avoided atall cost" brand.

Matt Jun 02, 2009

Wow... at least I'm not alone. Ugh, that doesn't make it any better.

I bought one of these pieces of junk in May 2007. It was a refurb model at Crappy Tire and it cut my lawn exactly once before dying. I brought it in to the store and they sent it to a local guy for repair. A month later I picked it up and managed to cut my lawn maaaaybe two times. Then the same thing... battery wouldn't hold a charge for more than 2 minutes.

I took this refurb unit back in to Crappy Tire and spoke a manager. He agreed that the refurb unit was a lemon and allowed me to pay the difference in price for a brand new unit. Yay! This one worked for the rest of the season, which was maybe 2 cuts.

Next spring (2008) same old problem. Of course I had stored it as per the manual instructions which, given what I've read above, are wrong. I risked yet another hernia chucking the machine in the back of my jeep. Off for another local repair, I got it back last summer. Shockingly, exact same problem. 2 cuts and done.

Frustrated, I kinda gave up and ignored it until now. I just got back from yet another visit to Crappy Tire to see what could be done. The "customer service" guy was totally clueless and some guy in a suit wandered over. He explained to me that these batteries are "expected to fail after 1 year" and that I should buy a new battery as part of routine maintenance. To make me feel better he also said that this was to make up for the fact that I didn't have to pay for oil or gas. I laughed at him and said it was a joke that Crappy Tire keeps selling these units. He agreed which wasn't really much help.

So now I'm stuck. I have this useless behemoth sitting in my garage yet again. I don't want to waste $150 on another battery knowing that it will die in a few months time. And I can't justify selling it to anyone knowing what I know. Unless I can sell it to a Crappy Tire rep in a suit. That I'd be ok with.

Mac Jun 05, 2009

Worst support from Yardworks and CT. Got a run around from the store to the call center of yardworks.

Mac Jun 05, 2009

Can these emails be sent to CT or yardworks ? CT claims that the product has two years warranty and the battery 1 year. Yardworks is stealing from people by reporting and collecting more money. I am sure CT gets a commission for each battery sold.

I am going to call someone in the ministry and see what they can do.

Mac Jun 05, 2009

Does anyone have any suggestions how to proceed ?

• Ni
    Nik Jun 15, 2009

I bought the Yardworks 24V cordless last summer. Yesterday, the battery finally died. It worked well last summer, but this spring the battery would hold a charge less and less.
    I thought I was doing the right "eco" thing by buying cordless, but I'm not dishing out $120 a year for a battery. So yesterday I bought a noisy gas mower.
    Do not buy any cordless mowers! Not only do you waste money on batteries, but they have no power - if you don't mow your lawn every week you're screwed!

• Rh
    R. Hoover Jun 30, 2009

Same problem here in Orillia. I stored the battery inside over the winter after a 2nd summer of use. Charged it up (green light went on) and eagerly started it up - Lasted about 3 minutes then slowly died right there on my front lawn in front of the neighbours. The green light was still on.
    I'm not a genius but to me, a green light means good to go. This battery was no go and won't take a charge at all now.
    I got through to the Yardworks customer support - their response was to question if I charged the battery every 2 weeks in my heated basement. As we vacation during the winter, this is not possible. I asked her if I should take the new battery that I will have to purchase for $125.00 to Florida with us so I can take proper care of it. She giggled a bit as if she had heard this kind of comment before.
    I won't be buying a new battery. But will be buying a new non-Yardworks mower. Anyone want a cute green planter that you can fill with panzies and move around your garden?

Dave Clark Jul 02, 2009

After all these comments, has anyone actually solved the problems - I've had the battery/starter switch/ front wheels fall off situations myself and am now at the "won't start at all - again" stage - close to buying a gas unit and pushing this thing off a cliff - H E L P !!!
    Dave Clark

• Bl
    Blondbuderfli Jul 10, 2009

Same problem here, and have 2 batteries. Proper storage during winter, and no charge in either of them. CT and Yardworks inform me that there is nothing they can do for me as I have owned them 2 years...and batteries only have a 1 year warranty.
    Did I mention, my local CT has no replacement ones in stock, haven't since April, and claim they are back ordered until September...What a joke!!!
    Wonder how long it will take me to mow my lawn with my Black and Decker rechargeable whippersnipper...which, by the way, has lasted me 4 years now!!

• Ho
    Homeland Aug 05, 2009

Has anyone thought of submitting a law suit against Canadian Tire and Yardworks for selling an obviously inferior product? A class action suit was successfully leveled against Apple computers some years back for knowingly selling faulty power adapters. Anyone who owned the product had it replaced at no extra cost. Or better yet those bringing back a dead mower would receive some form of monetary compensation. Just a thought.

I also heard that one can replace the faulty battery with a better quality one (which of course Canadian Tire does not carry). I am in the hunt for such a beast here in the Ottawa area.

Richard

Matt Aug 05, 2009

I would LOOOOVE to participate in a class action law suit... if for no other reason than to shed light on the garbage products that Canadian Tire continues to sell.

I'd also be very interested in a replacement battery that's better than the Yardworks one... especially if it came with a decent warranty. Anyone have a link to something like this? Maybe we could order a few at once?

• St
    Stef433 Aug 16, 2009

I have got exactly the same problem with the one I bought in Sept 2007. I thought the concept was fantastic but I guest I was wrong, very wrong. Cut the grass twice with it, stored it for the winter and the next spring it was dead. Complaint to the store they gave me a battery and the charger of a lawn mower still in the box, it last a season, again the following spring it was dead. Now this piece of mower crap that I paid almost $400.00 is seating in the basement and I can’t do anything about it.

• Ka
    Kataklysm01 Aug 21, 2009

I've found and ordered a 24 volt battery pack (dual 12v) and 5 amp charger that match what I had in the mower. It's not cheap but I think that it will outperform anything from Canadian Tire given that the rest of the mower keeps working. They ship to Canada.

TR22-24 Tempest AGM, Valve Regulated, Maintenance Free, Sealed Lead Acid Rechargeable Batteries (TR22-12N2)

BC-24-5000F-19 Tempest Smart Battery Charger

• Bl
    BL. McDonald Aug 22, 2009

This is my second battery powered lawn mower. In 2004 I bought a small Gardena (small in size not in price) German made lawn motor from Crappy Tire and the battery failed with the first two years. Although I have a small lawn I believe the battery was too small to mow the complete lawn therefore I bought that larger 24 V Battery-Powered Yard Works Reel Mover. Same thing the battery lasted less than two years. I had it checked out by a Battery store and it was all corrode so much so that the screw attachments were oxidize. I followed their storage instructions to the letter and was going to call the 800 number until I read all of these complaints. Never again will I buy a battery powered motor, never again will I buy anything from Yard Works or Canadian Tire who don`t stand behind their product. B.McDonald

• Bu
    Bui Aug 24, 2009

i have the same problem. Battery dead after less than one year. Bought a new battery for 99 dollars and now the battery charger is dead without reason and i could not find a replacement at the canadian tire. Yardworks products are suck. Totally agree with all the complaints.

• Sk
    Skullnick Oct 07, 2009

I also bought the 24volt yardworks lawnmower in summer 2007 from Canadian tire, I followed the charging instructions carefully wanting to make sure I get the most of the battery...this summer (2009) the charge would last no more than 5 minutes. This is the last product I buy from Canadian tire.

Someone has got to stop this insanity and do something about the junk that is being sold at Canadian Tire...The Canadian government is spending millions, maybe billions on going green in this country and here is a prominent Canadian company that is spewing junk onto Canadian consumers. Companies like this are the perfect example of why our landfills are being filled at such a rapid rate... the milk I buy at my local grocery store has a longer shelf life than their products.

Someone has to make this organization accountable.

Nick,
    From Quebec

• Pl
    plaplante May 04, 2010

I am having the same problem. I charged the battery as instructed over the winters to keep the charge up only to have very poor performance this spring 2010. I am going to contact CDN Tire next to see the response. I am in for a lawsuit if one happens

• Pe
    Perchie May 15, 2010

My battery also went dead after last winter. I looked at CDN Tire for a replacement battery and had no luck, so I had to bring it to a lawnmower repair shop recommended by Yardworks. Well the battery worked great for the season but is now dead again after another winter. I agree that these batteries suck!

I am going to buy the new Black & Decker 36V lawn mower ... at least its a company with a much better reputation.

• Mi
    Milt ChangetheBattery May 18, 2010

Well I solved the problem. I put in another battery. Oh, don't think I didn't try to give it back to Canadian tire or try the warranty limits. Neither worked.

I bought a replacement battery for the yardworks model [protected] lawnmover. Actually it was 2 batteries...

I thought I would help out others by showing a video on how to change it.

visit the blog at http://yardworksbatterylawnmover.blogspot.com/

I explain it all there...

Good luck.

• Ne
    nekocanada Jun 07, 2010

Oh, my battery worked just fine after 2 years, until the charger melted and took the battery with it. Followed the instructions and everything and guess what... Yardworks replaced the charger but WILL NOT replace the battery even though it's their charger that destroyed it. So happy effen day, I was happy with mine until it tried to take my housed down. Yardworks swears up and down it wouldn't have burned my house down... my repsonse "electrical fires and molten batteries don't tend to do that." This company doesn't give a crap. When I said I'll never purchase another yardworks product, the person just said "I'm sorry we haven't lived up to your standards." Beg pardon what? My standards is the product doesn't put my family's life in danger with the smoke and the fire!

• Ca
    Carljw Jun 12, 2010

Hi - I haven't had many problems with this until my battery died after 3 yrs, replaced one of the cells from Total Battery in Ottawa. My problem is I didn't take a pic of the wiring diagram and the manual doesn't have it. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or a pic of the wiring? thx

• Al
    Aleziss Nov 19, 2010

I also have this lawn mower. I've been able to replace the original battery with 2 12V 17Ah in series. They cost 29.95 each in an electronic parts store (Addison in Montreal). I also think that the YW charger is not good that is why so many people have dead batteries the following season even though they are stored in a heated garage or shed. So for around 70$ I can replace the batteries in that lawn mower. I think it need a smart 24v battery charger and the problem will be solved. All in all, I think the YW lawn mower is not that bad besides the battery and charger. I had no problem cutting grass with it. The issue is really, I think the charger. Sealed lead acid batteries have a life of around 2 to 5 years. Important never let them completely discharge and you get good result. Beware that even though you buy another brand of lawn mower that uses newer battery pack with NiMH, LiPo or what ever newer thechnology battery, they will cost a fortune to replace. The YW permits us to replace it with standard battery format. The other ones, no, you need to buy a special battery pack that you are obligated to replace when it is dead. I sthill think the YW, just for the fact that the batteries can be replace, is still cool. Other than that, I would never buy a lawn mower with a battery pack instead of standard batteries.

• Si
    siuming May 10, 2011

I had exactly the same problem. I am very very angry about the product!

• Ca
    canott May 17, 2011

FULLY AGREE HAVE EVEN CONTACTED YARDWORKS/SUNRISE SOLD ME A NEW BATTERY - ASK FOR AN EMAIL COPY OF WIRING DIAGRAM JUST IN CASE I REWIRE INCORRECTLY - STILL WAITING.
    ALSO TRIED OUT THE SELF PROPELLED VERSION - GREAT IF YOU ARE A 100 METER SPRINTER - CALLED YARDWORKS TOLD IT SHOULD RUN AT 1MPH - NO WAY - RETURNED TO CT AND TESTED ANOTHER ONE WITH THE MANAGER - SAME THING - WHAT ARE THESE PEOPLE SELLING - I CAN TELL YOU CHEAP CHINESE MADE EQUIPMENT.
    SHOULD CHECK OUT OTHER MODELS SOLD BY HOME DEPOT.

• Bh
    bhbell May 23, 2011

I am starting my fourth season with a Yardworks cordless mower. It worked well for the first 3 summers. I was able to mow my lawn ( smaller than average) 2 -3 times between charges. Towards the end of the 3rd summer, I started to notice reduced power when mowing. I also had to charge the mower after every use. I mowed the lawn once this year after a full charge and barely made it through with the mower seeming to run and about 1/2 power.
    I decided to take the mower apart to investigate. As others have mentioned, I found 2 batteries inside, cabled together. I found one of the connecting bolts to be slightly loose. I cleaned up the connectors and re-tightened the bolt. After re-assembling the mower and recharging the battery, the mower seems to be back to its original performance. Try this first if you are having problems!
    Brian - Regina

JanetS May 26, 2011

I have a [protected]. The battery "shows" as FULLY CHARGED, but it is dead. I

• Mi
    MikeChe May 31, 2011

brought two years ago, battery died after first use, still in summer, when I take it back to 64ave store, the manager told me I need to take the mower back to get the battery exchanged. After I took the mower back, he changed his idea, and tell me it must be damaged by leave the battery outdoor in the winter. (I'm a electronic engineer and have always kept all my battery in my basement workshop). I told him I kept my battery and mower separately, but he still refuse to believe. I never buy anything from that store again.

I took the mower to another CT store, this time they replaced the battery for me, but a USED one! I ask them why, they told me, it's not possible to open a new mower to give me a new battery, and the used one is almost "new"

the "new" battery died this year, I have used it for 3 times. so this $300 junk mower has a life span of 6 hours. and I need to pay $10 to dump it in the landfill.

• 19
    1981sonorhilit Jun 04, 2011

Hi all, I am having a same problem with my yarkwork lawn mower and I do agreed with you all.So, the bottom line is that I could had went out and buy a gas lawn mower for $400.00, the same price when the first model Yard Works came out on the market for $499.00.I'm getting rid of this cordless lawn mower and go with other good name brand lawn mower.Yard Work are not being supportive!!

Simon Hussein