Creditreport.comFraud business practices!

D

It goes a little something like this. I ordered a free credit report which I knew came with a trial membership of credit monitoring. Within two days I canceled the trial membership. Thank God we have a record feature on our cell phone and recorded the call to make sure we would have the name and cancellation number for future reference. Then all of a sudden MNI showed up on my bank statement. Mmmm... Who are they. I searched the internet and found out a lot of disturbing things about his MNI. I emailed creditreport.com to see if they were affiliated with MNI. I am getting the big run around. Below are the emails with Steven Garrett steven.[protected]@mightynet.com from credit report.com.

From: Daniel
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 9:52 AM
To: support
Subject: question

I recently ordered my credit report from you guys. It was part of a free trial membership. I just signed up a couple of days ago. Today I noticed a company called Mni credit reports is on my bank statement with a payment to them pending. Is Mni a company affiliated with you? I am not understanding this since my trial membership is not up.

Thanks,
Daniel.

From: support
To: Daniel
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 1:27 PM
Subject: RE: question

Thank you for contacting Creditreport.com:

In order for us to make any changes to your account or to cancel an order we need you to call us, because certain questions require access to your personal account information. If you have any question on how to file a dispute of inaccurate items on your credit report or if you need help understanding your credit report, please contact our customer service department at [protected] or at 818 – 407 – 4620 Monday- Friday 6:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. PST, Saturdays 8:00 a.m - 4:00 p.m and Sundays 8:00 a.m - 1:00 p.m PST .

Customer Service.
CreditReport.com

From: Daniel
To: support
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 2:50 PM
Subject: Re: question

Once again I am asking if MNI is affiliated with you! I didn't ask to change anything on my account!

From: Steven Garrett
To: Daniel
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 2:02 PM
Subject: RE: question

Thank you for contacting Creditreport.com:

CreditReport.com

SO I JUST SENT THIS AGAIN.

Once again is credit report affiliated with MNI? A question that does not concern an account. What are you guys hiding. This is rather odd.

Mmmm I am sensing a scam by creditreport.com.

• Be
    Beverly L Coleman Jun 11, 2007

I ordered credit report for 29.95 and have also been charged additional monthly charges. Called and was told by John that I authorized. I don't recall authorizing anything but the credit report. I probably could have received a free credit report if I had done a trial for the credit monitoring service and canceled it before the trial. I didn't want to have to remember to cancel it so I just purchased the credit report. I had no idea I would be charged anyway for the monitoring service. I was told by John they would only credit the June 7 charge. I will never use them again for a credit report request. They should not be allowed to do this.

06/07/2007 CKCRD06-06MNI*CREDITRPT S [protected] CA $9.95
    05/14/2007 CKCRD 05-11MNI*CREDITRPT S [protected] CA $9.95
    05/09/2007 CKCRD 05-07MNI*CREDITREPOR [protected] CA $29.90

mark allen Jul 05, 2007

I've tried to cancel my order twice but for some reason when i call back they have no record of my account being canceled. This company is a fraud, i can not reach anyone in a higher level to assist me, stay away from this company at all cost!!!

• Ar
    arin gilbert Jul 10, 2007

Was charged for monitoring in the month of June so made the call to cancel subscription. The girl (amanda) confirmed that since I had already paid for the month of service that they couldn't credit the account but after the month of service it would cancel. I again got charged for July. They will not reimburse me for the 9.95 they charged. Do not use this company. She noted on the account that I would call back again to cancel. That is what I already did, why would I cancel again.

Terrible Customer Service.

• Ga
    GA Victim Nov 26, 2007

I had the same problem. I called to cancel. They said it's taken care of. I get charged again. I called and they said that the notes say that I was going to call again to cancel. So they charged me again. And that they would be unable to refund me any money. WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM AGAIN.

• Ve
    Vera Rosenkrans Dec 28, 2007

I too ordered a trial membership and paid a fee that only allowed me access one time then wanted to charge me again and again. Then on my bank statement a recurring charge appeared each month. Calling the number- which is the same as the one given for the Credit Report company- only sent me to a vaoice mail which was- surprise FULL and not answered regardless of the times I called or the hours.

I am printing and recording everything now and I will submit my records from the bank as evidence in this fraudulent abuse of my funds. I want someone to call me and explain why I couldn't get through. Also, why I am being charged for a service that I don't want and can't access fully.

Ann Marie Jun 03, 2008

I never signed up for credit report.com, I may have clicked on an email or an ad by mistake, but I never signed up. I had the service once before and it was a scam. The company is a fraud and someone should do something about protecting the consumer from them!!!

Warning! Do not click on, answer or sign up for CreditReport.com, it is a scam!

Matthew Jun 17, 2008

On May 17, 2008 I signed up for a credit report. What CreditReport.com does NOT make clear is that there is a mandatory sign-up for an $11.95 monthly credit monitoring "service". You then have to opt out of this before the 30-day free trial period ends.

It really says something that you have to opt out of a service rather than opt in, no? Talk about a scam.

At any rate, I only realized this once they had charged me for the second month (the first apparently was free).

The day I received the charge, June 17, I called them up expecting that they would simply refund me the money for the service that I was unaware of and had not used.

On the first try they refused and were only willing to cancel the service.

Since the first month was free, I should not have been charged for that month, and should have retained service until July 17 (the month they forced me to pay for). However, they canceled the service and ended it immediately (June 17), thereby effectively charging me the $11.95 for nothing.

When I called back to complain they gave me the run around for a while. When I mentioned that they must get a lot of complaints like this since as there were so many on the internet, the guy spoke over me repeatedly and rudely told me that other credit report agencies got more.

After a long, drawn out argument "Fernando" told me that he was going to refund me the money. I've got the cancellation report and have contacted my bank to notify them that any further charges would be fraudulent.

If you have problems, call their toll free number and ask to speak to "FERNANDO 612" or "FERNANDO 6127" (he changed the number by the end of the phone call). If they tell you it is not possible to refund your money point out that you read online that they did.

This is a horrible, horrible service. PLEASE, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DON'T USE IT!!! They are betting on people not noticing, paying the first month for a service they were unaware of, and not having the fortitude to complain enough or take legal action against them to get their money back.

I looked for class action suits against them, but as of this point there don't appear to be any.

According to both customer service people that I spoke to the agreement was plainly stated when you sign up, but it wasn't so plain as to catch my eye. They are, at the very least, being astonishingly sleazy.

• Al
    Alma Booth Jul 08, 2008

I have the same problem canceling my account with your company

• Pa
    Patti Carroll-Frey Jul 31, 2008

I signed up with this company a little over a month ago. After seeing my credit report and what they had to offer I wanted to cancel. I tried numerous times to log-in and it failed despite using the correct username and password. And nowhere could I find on any email the number I could call to cancel. Then my card was billed so I went back to the website expecting to be able to retrieve a new credit report. Not! Same old one, 39 days old. Can't find anywhere how to access a new one without paying MORE money than I already had. When I tried to cancel it gave me a phone number to call. This company seems like a fly-by-night rip-off and I would recommend staying away from them. They make it easy to get your account number and money and hard to cancel.

• Ka
    Kari Aug 22, 2008

While just trying to obtain my 1 free credit report for myself and 1 for my husband, I was asked to enter my credit card information, but would not be charged. Well I was also, unknowingly, signed up for a monthly monitoring service. When I noticed 2 debits from my account of 12.95 each, I called them and asked them to refund the money. They cancelled both services but would only "make an exception" to refund the money on one of the accounts, even after several minutes of arguing. I then asked to speak with a supervisor, was placed on hold for 10 or more minutes, only to speak with the supervisor who sounded like the very same guy I had been talking to. This is fraudulent and misleading and must stop. I have filed a complaint with the FTC and also one with freecreditreport.com. I urge everyone else in this situation to do the same.

• Tu
    Tunde Owoola Aug 29, 2008

I couldn't agree with you more. I have a similar experience with that company. Their practices are very fraudulent. Wished I had read this thread before using their so called "free credit report". Readers beware.

• Ro
    Robert J. Williams Sep 12, 2008

I have not been able to unsubscribe from Minicredit report and Credit adapter services.

cherry Sep 12, 2008

Aufgrund der Umstellung im Ranking gab es Metin Yang heute leider eine kleine Panne in der Anzeige des Rankings.
    So tauchten plötzlich GM´s im Ranking auf. Metin2 Yang kaufen Ebenso gibt es einige von mir, zum Rankingtest, erstellte Testcharaktere.
    Wir sind aber schon an der Behebung des Fehlers dran und bald sollte das Ranking wieder so sein wie es war.
    In den heutigen Wartungsarbeiten wurden folgende Änderungen billig Metin2 Yang durchgeführt:

masthan Sep 21, 2008

Dear sir,

The company pi-international pvt Ltd, at prashasan nagar, has started with 10-120 employees after making good dollars for the past three years, now after deducting CTC of about 5000 from each employee stating that its your saving will be returned back when you leave the company said but now they stopped paying salaries from july company pays only 30% of the total salary and says no money if you want to work work here or will be beaten, no ctc no releving letter, nothing says. Who is going to takecare of such bogus companies company made lot of money now making to go on roads to 100's of employees case was registered in jublihills police station, press came, no action till now. Masthan.

Mark Barton Nov 03, 2008

Creditreport.com automatically enrolls you in a credit monitoring service when you pay for your credit report. They will bill your credit card monthly for the service. This next part is directly from their website:

If you try it and decide it is not for you, please contact our Customer Care Center toll free at [protected]. Your credit card will NOT be charged if you cancel during a free trial period. After the free trial period, you may cancel the service at anytime and stop future monthly billings. Please note, however, that refunds are not given for any portion of the membership fee paid for the current month.

I did not want the credit monitoring service and called to cancel. Telling them NO isn't enough. They will keep you on the phone telling you anything and everything to maintain your membership. I was cussing at the customer service agent by the FOURTH time I told her I DID NOT WANT THE SERVICE. I have also filed a complaint with the BBB. It was the worst customer sevice I have ever experienced. I had to FORCE her to cancel my subscription- which unfortunately is an AUTOMATIC add-on when you buy your credit report.

Avoid this company and any hassel you're bound to experience. It's a sad day in America when all anyone gives a ### about is taking your money and not caring in the least bit about real customer service. It's happening way too often these past couple of years.

• To
    tom Mar 19, 2009

Has similar issue. Called to cancel on 1/27/08 and was told that the charges would be canceled on 2/20/08. While perfoming my year end tax return reconciliation I discovered that they were still charging me. I called on 3/19/09 where I was told that they did have a record of the original call but no record that I canceled. They canceled the charges again but refused to negate the charges for the past year. I asked to speak to someone higher up the chain of command but I was told no way. My guess is that their associates get an incentive to keep the charges alive and the associated that I spoke to on 1/27/08 did not cancel the charges as I requested. This definitley smells like a scam and I would avoid them at all costs.

• Su
    sucked dry Apr 16, 2009

I wish I had read your letters before i got my report. these blood sucker have dipped into my account. HOw do I stop them, HOw do I let others kknow about the trap wording they built into their system. Is ther a class action suit against them? I supose that any one ho goes up against them will bet their credit ruined. God Damn these blood suckers.

• Su
    sucked dry Apr 16, 2009

the address for stephen garrett is not working.

• Sh
    Sheri Apr 23, 2009

This company is a bunch of vipers. The snarky "supervisor" I spoke with sounded all of 19 years old and did not care to retain customers. She is getting paid with my 15.00 so what does she care...I hope she chokes on it.

Grace May 19, 2009

I called my Visa bank, Chase Bank and got a foreign speaking rep in Vancouver, BC who was a high powered salesman and wore me down by his talking and I finally agreed to Chase ID Protection just so I could talk to the Dispute Dept. The cost $9.99 mo for something I really didn't want. As benefits, I was told I would get a FREE credit report and he gave me MiniCredit.com website. I had never done a report on myself before, so I went on the website thinking FREE credit report. I wondered why I was asked for my credit card number-DUH???!!! Apparently the credit report is FREE but you have to agree to a credit monitoring service at $14.95 mo and of course I was thinking FREE, not cluing in that I was agreeing to this monitoring service. Chase Bank told me to call them direct to cancel and get a refund. ID Protection I cancelled but they wouldn't do anything about the $14.95 charge, and MiniCredit.com said TOO BAD-by giving us your credit account number, you agreed to the service - so basically EAT IT!!!
    I live on Social Security which is already below the poverty line, and this is just another SCAM, people out there to make a fast buck to line their pockets at the expense of the innocent. There is NOTHING FREE in this world, it either costs you time, effort, peace of mind and in this case it costs all of that and more PLUS I am out $14.95 for a service that I didn't need and didn't know, because I agreed to it thinking it was all part of the FREE credit report, I didn't know I was ordering this service. So...BEWARE unsuspecting people - this is NOT FREE like you think!!!
    Disgruntled Grace

• Da
    Dan Chmielewski May 19, 2009

This appears to be a complaint directed at MiniCredit.com and not CreditReport.com, which is a separate entity altogether. It also seems as though Chase was a culpert here. CreditReport.com offers a consumer-friendly, cost-effective credit monitioring solution used by tens of thousands of customers. The writer should edit this post to correctly address the name of the company at fault here and not CreditReport.com.

Grace May 19, 2009

Excuse me but it says on the charge on my Visa bill "MiniCreditReport" and it's from CreditReport.com website. They have both names if you'll check that out, you will have more knowledge.
    This company it at fault for this SCAM, no matter what they call themselves. So I do not stand corrected, I am afraid you will have to be so.
    CreditReport.com was where I called today to cancel whatever they said I agreed to. And if they are separate entitites then why does my Visa bill say both names?????? tell me that, ok.
    This is a SCAM - apparently there is ONLY a 7 day trial period, not 30 days, and because I was told the credit report was FREE, I didn't question anything, just gave them the info they asked for. And they said I was agreeing to their monitoring service when I was thinking it was only my FREE credit report. It is not nice to take advantage of innocent people who aren't familiar with scamming ways and I trust everyone. I am beginning to NOT trust everyone anymore and that's sad!!! In all my 60+ years I have NEVER had so many SCAMMING experiences and it sure makes me not want to shop online anymore.

Grace May 19, 2009

Grace again - I forgot to ask this comment person? Who do you work for? CreditReport.com or MiniCredit.com or both????? I still need a refund for $14.95 for monitoring service that I didn't know I was agreeing to. That's the part of all this that I don't like, and Chase Bank or Chase ID Protection (who I found out today is a 3rd party seller, nothing much to do with the bank, they say).
    I have read all the complaints against both credit names and Chase ID Protection. It seems like the very protection service you are being INTIMIDATED to buy by their high pressure salesman, is the very service that sure looks, sounds and acts like a SCAM. That's sure funny, being scammed by the protection service.
    Sounds like the Mafia I'd say.

AndiFaythe Jun 23, 2009

I have been through Heck with these people all day not only did I cancel the same day I did the inquiry, they charged my card anyway causing overdrafts in my bank account, bank fees, and only reimbursed my 14.95 I ask for managers, I get people most of them named Alex, or Nadia saying the same thing off of a script, I believe this is fraud...

• Ju
    justme2 Jun 25, 2009

I ordered a report in 2006, then cancelled my enrollment. Now, 3 years later, I get a 14.95 deduction in my bank account, paid to creditreport.com. When I called them about it, they insisted that I had ordered another report. I insisted that I had not even been to their website in three years. They told me that I need to file a police report for identity theft. I believe that if my identity had been stolen, there would be more than just that one charge, to Creditreport.com, in my bank statement.

• Ml
    mlu Jul 21, 2009

This company is a bunch of SHARKS, just like telemarketers and collectors. They have hidden fees all over thier site that trap you and when you ask to be refunded they give you BS. All people want are they credit reports not the crap you are selling. The snarky "supervisor" I spoke with BRUSHED ME OFF. I will spead their word of their thieving all over the Internet. They refused to refund my $15 but damade control is a ###. they will spend tons on advertising for this

• Jc
    JConig Aug 03, 2009

I paid the 14.95 to Credit Report.com for several months. They never found any problem with my report. I cancelled the service 7/21/2009 and suddenly I have a fraudulent charge to my debit card. I find it very interesting that after over 40 years of never having any fraud involving my credit, that this has occurred 9 days after cancelling. I don't know if this is just coincidental, but it does raise flags in my mind. I have the name of the person who handled my request to cancel and I will include all this information in my police report. Again, I am not saying there is a connection, but I do want an investigation into this company.

Chris Johnson Aug 06, 2009

CREDITREPORT.COM is a shifty, and criminal in my opinion, company. They were charged my credit card a couple times and I just now caught it. To get your entitled one credit report a year free BY LAW, they apparantly rope people into a 7 day trial of a credit monitoring service. Problem is, obviously, they don't make it clear that to CANCEL the service that you need to tell them you don't want it. after a certain number of days.

This tactic used buy them and other non-reputable companies is becoming the norm. its their way of ripping you off and once you realize it, you have no recourse to get your money back. you can just cancel the service.

So DO NOT GO TO CREDITREPORT.COM. they are a rip off company.
    Chris Johnson
    Illinois

• La
    Lanternkami Sep 25, 2009

I just called today and spoke a lady about canceling my account. After asking me if I would consider keeping the service if it was only $9.95 a month instead of the $14.95 she told me that she would go ahead and cancel the account for me. She mentioned that I should get an email stating that I need to go online to complete the cancellation process and just to save my number and delete the email... Im thinking im just gonna save the email just incase. Hopefully they have improved their customer service at least a little bit, other then trying to give me a discount it wasn't bad. I guess well see in a few days whether or not they decide to charge me.

• Pe
    peaceofcake Nov 24, 2009

We canceled our account months and months ago. We're still trying to get it canceled.. but I doubt we'll ever get a refund for the 5 full months they've been charging my debit card 14.95. Thats 100 freaking dollars. $100 that I could have spent on something more constructive, rather than on a "credit monitor" that doesnt even alert you when changes are made on your credit report. Such a rip off. I too have had to literally yell at a customer service rep because they pressure you into keeping your membership. This is why I distinctly remember canceling my membership. Because the rep offered me a 50% discount, only 9.95 a month if I were to keep my membership. I said no. They kept on and on and on. And finally I said.. Just cancel my d*mn account before I get really pissed and ask to speak with your supervisor. At that time they canceled my account. Or so I thought. I dont usually check my bank statements.. so when I DID check them, and seen that I'd been charged repeatedly from these ***holes, I was furious. I intend on getting every penny back, and my account will be canceled if its the LAST thing I do.

johnjmk Nov 28, 2009

I called in to cancel my account, but they said it was already canceled on the 16th (11 days ago) but this is the first time I called them; Strange... I will check and see if they show up on the next credit card bill.

• Th
    THOMAS MALEY Dec 26, 2009

cancel acct refund my bank acct.or l'ii persue legal cancel

• Em
    EMMAVY Mar 27, 2010

Wow!!! There are many people is in this trap! I'm charged 19.95 every month now, even I don't check my credit score. Please HELP- which # I should call to cancel and get refund the charge they have been charged us for several months????

WHICH # SHOULD I CALL TO GET CANCEL??? IT WAS SAID THAT CREDIT.COM BUT THERE IS SOME NUMBERS...
    HELP PLEASE!

• Em
    EMMAVY Mar 27, 2010

What can we do to stop them? We have no way to do anything with them? That is so sad...! Please someone who knew what we should do to stop them, do something...!

• Tn
    T.N. in CA Mar 27, 2010

BEWARE OF CREDITreport.com !!!
    I had never heard of or dealt with this company. Suddenly they charged 14.95 to my bank account (FRAUDULENTLY). How the hell do they get someone's bank account or credit card info to do this??? Ironically, when I looked at their site, they claim to be in the business of helping prevent identity theft... that's rich, huh?! They want all my person info by phone in order to "correct" or "investigate" but since they fraudulently charged me, I refuse to give them any info. Instead I'm having my own bank remove the fake charge and will be complaing to the LAPD and to FTC.gov.

• Mj
    mjtgm Apr 05, 2010

After complaining that I was being charged for a service I never requested (the name associated with the credit card number used wasn't mine) I was told they would refund the charge and initiate an investigation. However if I wanted to find out *anything* regarding their investigation I needed to submit a written subpoena! So sleezy it makes my skin crawl...

I didn't have any trouble reaching someone there at 1.866.883.3309

• 2f
    2fasst Apr 26, 2010

Same scam here. I ordered a report and was 'automatically' signed up for their monitoring service. It's hidden in their fine print. I called a rep and seems like they're used to taking these kinds of call. This is probably routine source of income for them.

Call your credit card company and tell them you did not authorize this charge.

And file a complaint with the FTC here:

• Er
    Eric28 May 10, 2010

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone. Before I do anything on the computer now a days I go to the compliant boards and see if it is a scam. I hope you get them back for what they've done to you. Thanks

• Sr
    SRR Jun 05, 2010

I applied to a job on craigslist that looked legit. They emailed me back and said they wanted to set up an interview but I needed to go to creditreport.com to get a credit score rating and submit that to them. **RED FLAG** I went to the website just to see what it was about, started filling out the information, got to the second page where they asked for my SS# and credit card info, and I closed that page down immediately. I'm not sure if this is part of their scam, but it definitely seemed sketchy.

• Te