CreditReportAmerica.comUnauthorized charges

Found credit report america.com on wqad offering for free report then makes give credit card number for $1.00 fee to be reimbursed. Offers credit score but never gives any information and charged credit card for both the dollar and then $11.95 a month on credit card. No contact number goes through just sends back to false web address. Had to stop credit card payments through the card.

christopher corbett Nov 23, 2008

rip off know one to contact when u try to cancell

• Valerie Dec 01, 2008

First thing they do is get your creditcard number, then they give you cancellation numbers. Saying you can do this at anytime, which is not true I still have not been able to do so. Mean while your being charged for something you can not get out of and not receiving your credit reports. Your are not getting anything... Big ripoff!!!

• Bi
    bill poss Dec 20, 2008

creditreportamerica is a big scam i've been done the same as others charged the dollar . and then charged the 11.95. then can find no contact to cancel or get the money back

• Li
    Liam Dec 29, 2008

These sick people are exploiting the average citizen for their hard earned money. They gave me fake phone numbers so I couldn't cancel my order.

Max Jan 07, 2009

Signed up to receive free credit report but did not receive the report. They have my credit card no. so they can keep charging every month. They do not have any phone numbers to contact them and the web site that they give [email protected] with any questions that you might have comes back as no such web site.

I tried to cancel the order and it tells you to visit creditreporthelpdesk.com to reach a live operator so you can cancel but when you do this it tells you no one is available and office hours are 8:00 am to 5:00pm although it was only 3:00pm in the afternoon when I tried to reach them.

• Or
    Orlando Jan 31, 2009

I also used this website to obtain my credit report and I was duped. A couple of warnings:

1. Go to www.annualcreditreport.com to request your free annual credit report under federal law. Do not use these guys. The only time you pay a few is to pull your credit scores and thats $7.95.

2. CreditReportAmerica.com does not provide the phone number to cancel their monthly service. The number provided is for Fraud Protection Resource Center. When you call the numbers posted, you are canceling their service, not CreditReportAmerica.com's $11.95 a month fee.

3. The number to cancel CreditReportAmerica.com is [protected]. Please pass this along. Do not use these services - The federal government offers your basic credit bureau report for free. If you want credit scores - that's $7.95 - well worth the fee!

• Pa
    patsy Feb 26, 2009

I WISH TO "STOP" THE MONTHLY DRAFT FROM MY CHECKING ACCOUNT FOR $11.95. Do not wish to continue your service - my information is as follows: Patsy A. Mitchell, 1744 Rhodes Road, Kenly, NC 27542. Please email me to confirm this has been taken care of. The last four digits of my credit card is 4427. My email address is [email protected] Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Donna Willhite Mar 02, 2009

See above the complain I told of, being charged over and over for a credit report up to $30 each time. sick and tired of trying to get them to cancel it. The person I talked to the second time on 2-4 09 very snotty about the whole thing, told me it would be taken care of. What the heck is going on.

Darshan Reen Mar 10, 2009

I do not want any report from your organisation. I wish no payment to be made to my credit card . my details are as follows:-
    [email protected] My address is - 95 16, 224th Street, Queens Village NY-11429. The last four digits of my credit card are 9926.

Darshan Reen Mar 10, 2009

I am Darshan S Reen, my e-mail ID- [email protected]
    I do not want any report on my credit score from your organisation. Please do not charge my credit card.
    The last four digits of my credit cards are- 9926.

Maxine Haworth Mar 19, 2009

I am Maxine Haworth, my e-mail [email protected] I do not want any report on my credit score from your organisation. I paid $1.00 for a report ( which I never received) and never wanted any more. Please do not charge my credit card. The last four digits of my credit cards are-1067. This is the secont time you have charged my account and I have received nothing. Please return my money.

Maxine Haworth Mar 19, 2009

I am being taken advantage of.

• Ki
    kirby127 Mar 26, 2009

I was sent to them by Rent to Own Property company, CheapHomes Blowout to obtain Credit Report, they charged me my dollar and I couldnt get a credit report, Tried to go back and cancel before they charge me a monthly fee, Guess what NO place to cancel and no way to contact them, pretty bad this company is backed by, MSN<YAHOO<CNN<CNBC, all companies in which we trust!!!why would they back up a company that is ripping off the hard working americans...

• He
    Helen L Hain Mar 26, 2009

My daughters.Its a devorice she is getting. lawyer is wanting to see her credit cards.does she have the right to see them.The lawyer has already charged her to much already.Why should see the credit cards;.My name is Helen L Hain

• St
    Steve Payne Mar 27, 2009

Same thing happened to me. I typed in an address I got from the local newspaper and "creditreportamerica" showed up, thinking it was the proper place i answered the questions and I didn't recieve and credit report either.

Not Dumb Apr 03, 2009

You guys are dumb.

• Ct
    c.t. whitehouse Apr 20, 2009

Beware fellow chumps - CreditReportsAmerica and their affiliated "Identity Security" will charge your credit card and make it very difficult to stop them from doing it. This is disgraceful behavior (while legal, so are the big bank lending practices). We have to be responsible and not participate and when we get suckered in - scream like hell to everyone who will listen. I have contacted the Attorney Generals office, but CRA is a Canadian company. Yes, I am a chump and this business continues to lie to and steal from me.

DontGetScammed May 04, 2009

SCAM, this scamer posts on properties on craigslist to go fill out this "free" credit report to see if you qualify for a rental. It redirects you to http://www.creditreportamerica.com. DO NOT fill out any information, it is a scam, you do not get your credit report, you do not get to rent the property as its a scam. It will charge your credit card until you cancel your card.

DontGetScammed May 04, 2009

this link will also tell you to get your credit report through them. These are scams sites set up only to lure people into this scam. I found this scam on craigslist. Never fill out anything without meeting a person and seeing the property first.

• My
    MyEthix May 09, 2009

These people, instead of charging me the $1 advertised, placed two pending charges on my credit card.. one for $2.95 and the other for $29.95 - that is a HECK of a lot more than what they were hawking. Since I caught it immediately, I called right away and raised a stink over their false advertising. I had taken screen snapshots of the entire process -- and I let them know this - so last night both charges fell off so I did get my money back.

THEIR PHONE NUMBER IS [protected].

Good luck!

anthony figueras May 15, 2009

The website claims you can view all your credit reports from all three credit reporting agencies but you have to navigate through a convoluted maze of advertising and obligatory offers that will finally facilitate you being able to eventually see your credit reports. I am not fanancially able to commit any funds to these "partner" advertisers so I haven't viewed one credit report in at least 4 months. I just want to cancel my account with them. I want a refund as I've never benefitted from the "service" they offer, it can very easily be substantiated that I've never even logged into their website as a patron of their "services".

• Lo
    louism Jun 11, 2009

I also agreed to creditreportamerica " free" trial for $ 2.95 I did not agree to the additional charge for one year of some vague service but the charge of 29.95 showed on my credit card bill. I believe a report to better business bureau, consumer protection and the attorney general is in order.

• Le
    Levella Jul 23, 2009

SCAM, http://www.creditreportamerica.com DO NOT fill out any information, it is scam!

Levella Smith

• Be
    belgia Nov 04, 2010

Anyone else notice that the ADs by Google on THIS site have a Lexington Law and CreditReport.com (also known as mni, mni* and so on) AD? YIKES! The wheels keep on turning!

Dave C Jun 03, 2011

SCAM ALERT!!! ...Watch out for these guys... ...CreditReportAmerica... as found on the 'Mob Wars' game through the 'Complete Offers and Earn Favor Points' area. Mob Wars is a game/app on Facebook When you sign up for the free trial, you must cancel within 3 days or be charged $2.95 processing fee $29.95 monthly access fee $6.95 for Fraud Protection (you are automatically signed up) $9.95 for Identity Theft Protection (you are automatically signed up) plus two $1.00 additional monthly fees (don't know why) To cancel you have to dig through the terms & conditions and call all four customer service phone numbers or you will be automatically billed each month. SCAM SCAM SCAM!!! (from website) '5. Membership Fees. Upon registering and providing the requisite Registration Data, you will be automatically enrolled in the three (3) day trial ('Trial Period') of our Member Services program, and the credit card that you provide during registration or update at a later time ('Active Credit Card') will be charged a fully refundable Two dollar and Ninety-Five cent ($2.95) activation fee ('Activation Fee'). If you do not cancel your Membership as set forth in Section 6 below during the Trial Period, you agree to pay the Activation Fee and the monthly Membership fee ('Fees') of Twenty-Nine Dollars and Ninety-Five Cents ($29.95). You have also been enrolled into a fourteen (14) day trial to the Fraud Protection Resource Center and twenty one (21) day trial to Identity Theft Protection (collectively "Additional Services"). Should you choose not to cancel your Additional Services, you will be billed six dollars and ninety five cents ($6.95) each month for Fraud Protection Resource Center (shows as 'FraudProtection') and nine dollars and ninety five cents ($9.95) each month for Identity Theft Protection (shows 'IdentitySecurity"). Prior charges for Additional Services are non-refundable and a monthly one dollar ($1.00) transaction fee applies to each. Subscription to Additional Services can be cancelled and future charges stopped at any time by calling toll-free [protected] for Fraud Protection Resource Center and [protected] for Identity Theft Protection. Your Active Credit Card will be charged the applicable amount for all Fees on a monthly basis, in advance, on or about the same day of each month as when your Registration Data was received.' BUYER BEWARE HIDDEN FEES ABOUND !

• Ju
    Justin Asking Jun 08, 2011

or Release: 05/17/2011
    FTC Charges Online Marketers with Scamming Consumers out of Hundreds of Millions of Dollars with 'Free' Trial Offers

The Federal Trade Commission has brought a law enforcement action against an online operation that allegedly raked in more than $450 million from consumers in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand by luring them into “free” or “risk-free” offers, and then charging them for products and services they did not want or agree to purchase. As part of its ongoing efforts to stamp out online fraud, the FTC seeks to stop the operation’s illegal practices and make the defendants repay injured consumers.

“The defendants used the lure of a ‘free’ offer to open an illegal pipeline to consumers’ credit card and bank accounts, ” said David C. Vladeck, Director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection. “‘Free’ must really mean ‘free’ no matter where the offer is made.”

The FTC worked closely with Canadian law enforcement, including the Alberta Partnership Against Cross Border Fraud, in investigating this international scheme. Most of the defendants are located in Alberta.

“Internet fraud is a global problem that requires an international enforcement response, ” said Lisa Campbell, Deputy Commissioner of Competition for the Competition Bureau of Canada. “International cooperation ensures that fraudsters can’t hide behind borders.”

According to the FTC’s complaint, Jesse Willms and 10 companies he controls used deceptive tactics in offering “free trials” for various products online, including acai berry weight-loss pills, teeth whiteners, and health supplements containing resveratrol (the supposedly healthful ingredient in red wine), as well as for a work-at-home scheme, access to government grants, free credit reports, and penny auctions. (Penny auctions are online auctions in which consumers must purchase bids, usually for $0.50 to $1 each. Regardless of whether a consumer actually wins a penny auction, the consumer has paid for each bid he or she placed during the auction. However, each bid that is placed raises the price of the auctioned item by a penny.)

According to the FTC, Willms and his companies obtained consumers’ credit or debit card account numbers, by enticing them with bogus “free” or “risk-free” trial offers that supposedly required only small shipping and handling fees, and also promised phony “bonus” offers just for signing up. Consumers had no reason to believe they would be charged for the trial product or the extra bonus products, but they were often charged for the “free” trial plus a monthly recurring fee, typically $79.95. Consumers were also charged monthly recurring fees for the so-called bonus offers. Although the defendants offered a money-back guarantee, consumers were often unsuccessful in canceling the charges or obtaining refunds, and the process involved time-consuming phone calls and other steps that made the deals far from risk-free, the FTC complaint alleged.

The defendants allegedly contracted with affiliate marketers whose banner ads, pop-ups, sponsored search terms, and unsolicited e-mail led consumers to the defendants’ websites, and the defendants paid the affiliates for each consumer whose credit or debit card was charged. The defendants allegedly made false claims about the total cost of products, recurring charges, and the availability of refunds. They also buried important terms and conditions in fine print, the FTC alleged.

The complaint charges that the defendants’ penny auction offers falsely indicated consumers would receive free “bonus” bids, but those who provided credit or debit card numbers to facilitate future auction buying were hit with charges they did not know about, including $150 for introductory “bonus” bids and $11.95 per month for ongoing “bonus” bids. The FTC also charged that Willms and his companies made false weight loss and cancer cure claims for their products, and touted bogus endorsements by Oprah Winfrey and Rachael Ray.

The FTC further alleged that the defendants provided merchant banks with false or misleading information, in order to acquire and maintain credit and debit card processing services from the banks in the face of mounting chargeback rates and consumer complaints. Willms and his companies also allegedly violated the Electronic Fund Transfer Act and Regulation E (issued by the Federal Reserve System’s Board of Governors) by debiting consumers’ bank accounts without their signed written consent and without providing consumers with a copy of the written authorization.

The defendants named in the FTC complaint are Jesse Willms, Peter Graver, Adam Sechrist, Brett Callister, Carey L. Milne; 1021018 Alberta Ltd., also doing business as Just Think Media, Credit Report America, eDirect Software, WuLongsource, and Wuyi Source; 1016363 Alberta Ltd., also doing business as eDirect Software; 1524948 Alberta Ltd., also doing business as Terra Marketing Group, SwipeBids.com, and SwipeAuctions.com; Circle Media Bids Limited, also doing business as SwipeBids.com, SwipeAuctions.com, and Selloffauctions.com; Coastwest Holdings Ltd.; Farend Services Ltd.; JDW Media LLC; Net Soft Media LLC, also doing business as SwipeBids.com; Sphere Media LLC, also doing business as SwipeBids.com and SwipeAuctions.com; and True Net LLC, also doing business as Selloffauctions.com.

The FTC would like to thank the Competition Bureau Canada, Service Alberta, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the Alberta Partnership Against Cross Border Fraud, the Edmonton Better Business Bureau, and the BBB of Southern Nevada for their invaluable assistance in this investigation.

The Commission vote authorizing the staff to file the complaint was 5-0. The complaint was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington at Seattle.

To help consumers avoid the hidden costs in some “free trial” programs, an FTC video, Free Trial Offers tells how to check out a free trial before you sign up, and what to do if you find yourself enrolled in a free trial offer without your permission: in short, getting charged for merchandise you don’t want and didn’t order. The video is also available at youtube.com/ftcvideos. For more on free trials, click here.

NOTE: The Commission files a complaint when it has “reason to believe” that the law has been or is being violated, and it appears to the Commission that a proceeding is in the public interest. The complaint is not a finding or ruling that the defendant has actually violated the law. The case will be decided by the court.

The Federal Trade Commission works for consumers to prevent fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair business practices and to provide information to help spot, stop, and avoid them. To file a complaint in English or Spanish, visit the FTC’s online Complaint Assistant or call 1-877-FTC-HELP [protected]). The FTC enters complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to more than 2, 000 civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad. The FTC’s website provides free information on a variety of consumer topics. “Like” the FTC on Facebook and “follow” us on Twitter.

MEDIA CONTACT: