CREDIT CARD - DON'T KNOWCANCELLATION OF DEBT THROUGH IRS

I receiced a CP2000 form from the IRS stating that becasue there was a cancellation of debt in the amount of $3, 040 that it was not reflected on my IRS returns. I have never heard of these folks, they have never contacted me about any outstanding debts yet it has been reported to the IRS. I have tried to get their phone number through the yellowpages, 411 and came up with nothing, yellow pages came up with nothing. The address shown on my CP2000 form is as follows

FIA Card Services N.A.
Consumer Lending
P.O. Box 22021
Greensboro, NC [protected]

Please if anyone knows how to contact these folks please forward a number to [protected]@aol.com

novogal3 Sep 14, 2009

The same thing has happended to my brother and we can not find out who these people are or what the 3900.00 was for or anything. But yet he got a letter from the IRS saying that this dept was forgiving for some reason. But we don't know what they are even talking about. Where you able to find out any more information?

• Jp
    jpauling Oct 02, 2009

The same thing has happened to us we recieved a letter today 10/4/09from the IRS showing 2 Cancellation of DEBT amounting to $3812.00. Shows acct #'s that don't match anything look like possible Master Card Acct 's they both start with 5400 Visa Acct. #'s start with a 4 not a 5.Same address as all the other P.O. Box 22021 Greensboro NC [protected] . I'm going to call the number on my IRS Form tonight.If anyone finds out anything please let me know. [email protected] Thanks

• Jp
    jpauling Oct 02, 2009

I also noticed on the forms from the IRS that they are from Philadelphia PA. interesting this could be some kind of scam I mean this whole year has been weird.

• Yi
    yiseld Oct 13, 2009

This is a nightmare!!! I'm going through the same thing!!! I have no idea who these people are and I certainly didn't get any 1099 from them!!!

• Yi
    yiseld Oct 13, 2009

Hi all! I JUST FOUND NUMBER FOR THESE PEOPLE!!! Everything has been clarified!!!

CALL FIA CARD SERVICES AT: [protected]

• Lo
    Lohmann23 Oct 16, 2009

Did you call them and what was decided? We got the same type of letter this summer and it matches nothing in our records.

• La
    LauraB3 Nov 02, 2009

I recieved the same notice from the IRS. I called our tax person and asked him what to do, he suggested we write not agreeing with thier decidition. iu have odne that and now we just got another letter stating we still owe over $3, 000. We all need to report this company to the better business bureau! I am going to print all of these complainnts and send them to the IRS. Something fishy is going on here with this company!

• La
    LauraB3 Nov 02, 2009

We had an account with this compnay years ago and it was paid off, yet they are still trying to charge us $50... Which is still on our credit to this day!

• Te
    Teenat Nov 17, 2009

The same thing has happened to me. It was done under my husband's social security number in the year 2007. He is now deceased and I have no idea what the money is about. Mine, however, does not say "is forgiven". I owe the IRS that amount of money plus interest. I am going to try the phone number that was posted. If anyone knows anything else please post.

• El
    elker Nov 28, 2009

I received today from the irs a claim stating that I owe them because of this card service. I don't

know of them. I will contact irs & bbb.

• Kw
    kware Dec 30, 2009

My mother inlaw has also recieved this same letter from the IRS and we called them today and they say they dont have a # for them but this is so crazy because she dont remember not paying anyone she has no debt????? but I will give her this # and see what happens. But this is so crazy because most of the amounts are the same and everyone cant have the same amount of debt owed to this company we need to report this to some one...

• Mp
    mpls. lady Jan 19, 2010

Thank you for the phone number. I found out that if you make a settlement with any bank or credit card than you are supposed to add the owed balance to your yearly income for tax. The bank or credit card company will wait and send a 1099-c form to the irs so they can come back to claim money from you in the future. I spoke to a person at FIA CARD SERVICES N.A /CONSUMER LENDING and he said we will have to add that owed amount to our income for tax. There's nothing we can do but make the payment to irs.

• To
    toblueiz Apr 30, 2010

Hi,
    I just got off the phone with these people (thank you for the telephone number) and it seems that if you go for a settlement instead of paying it off you will have to pay taxes on it. They told me that my husband agreed on an amount that was less then the money he owed so they took the balance and reported it to the irs. They said it is though you made that money because you didn't pay it to them. Makes no sense to me. So in my opinion, from now on, I will take my time and pay off the amount, even if it takes 10 years. This way I don't get screwed in the long run.

• Up
    upset debtor May 06, 2010

We accepted a deal between with the credit card company, that was brokered with a debt consolidation agency (Freedom Financial out of Sacramento, CA). The 1099-c form was sent from the credit card company to Freedom Financial, but they never forwarded it us. If they did I would have filed it with my taxes. I think Freedom Financial is a crooked company.

Christinedb May 24, 2010

All of your comments have been so educational. Thank you. I too just received a notice from the IRS and have just begun to investigate. Once I received my divorce settlement from my ex-husband, I paid off everything but it was later in the year that this 1099 was reported. I will be calling this number, you can be sure. I feel sorry for everyone's troubles because of this company. Hopefully, brighter times are ahead for you!

• Er
    ERShader Aug 01, 2010

Thanks for the phone number. Although I wrote these people almost 2 months ago, I have never received an answer. I will the call the number and see what is up. I never received a 1099c and didn't know about it until IRS sent me a letter saying I didn't list it as income.

However, from what I can tell, If you can prove that you were insolvent on the date that you supposedly paid off this company (i.e. your liabilities were greater than your assets), the amount someone is claiming as income to you will be deleted. I hope I've read that correctly. The account number also starts with a 5400 # and I looked at my credit report for that tax year and could find no such number. Let's stay in touch - maybe we need to file a class action lawsuit against these folks. My big question is, how'd they get my social security? Oh, btw, the amount they reported was $2975.

• Ni
    nicole528 Mar 28, 2011

I am not having this same exact problem. Did you guys get this resolved...any tips you can pass on to help me?

• Ia
    I AM dio Sep 14, 2011

My sister received a 2009 1099-C from this bank alleging that she she has $2, 071.72 credit card balance that she never paid off. The credit card number listed on the 1099-C does not match with the credit card that she once had. Now the IRS is after her because of this 1099-C. She had settled her account on 2/2/2009 and have not use the card since. I guess this has something to do with the 2008 financial meltdown. BofA borrowed money from the government (i.e. TARP) back then. My guess is they did this fraudulent act on purpose so they can claim these so-called unsettled debt as tax deduction with the IRS. This is bad karma. Now they're in the red because of their acquisition of this one mortgage company in 2009, leaving them with lots of mortgage loan defaults; and foreclosed homes that never sell. God is always looking down in all of us. Crooked company like Bank of America deserved the financial problem that they are having right now.

Chris(tian) Jan 26, 2012

I just got a 1099-C from FIA for Bank of America, but I have never had a credit card with Bank of America! It says this is due to a personal guarantee that I made for my business that I closed it 1997. That's 15 years ago. I never had any notice of any debt in the last 15 years. The "debt" is for $1, 519.85. I'll call them tomorrow.

• Ny
    Nyki Feb 16, 2017

@Chris(tian) How do I access the account and find out the balance and the information

• Ba
    Baltimores Jan 28, 2012

I too received a 1099-c from FIA. Not my debt. Have to file form 982 with IRS and statement of dispute. Also send FIA letter demanding validation of owed debt. Better to do this before or during preparing current years taxes. Any other ideas?

• Ka
    karen52251 May 24, 2012

I just received a notification from the IRS stating that I had failed to report a 1099-C from FIA Card Services which I never received. Moreover, I called that FIA number provided above, and they had no record of the account, much less the 1099-C I never received. Bank of America is the most disfunctional Bank I have ever dealt with. I filed a complaint, but if I know B of A (and I do, unfortunately) they will never resolve this. They told me to call back in 7-10 days to check up on their "resolution."

• Na
    NanaBara Jan 29, 2013

The form that I received does not resemble the IRS required scanable 1099 C, this form looks as bogus as its claim. It alludes that I owed BOA 6724.83 .. and the account information does not belong to me. This is a scam ...it has to be, and IRS ought to look into this!

• Ne
    never done business FIA Feb 11, 2013

received one after I filed for a class action lawsuit because of the payments to protection services that we made, and they should have taken care of our credit bills since that is what we pay almost $.79 on the dollar every month for, even though we didn't sign up for it, it was charged to our account every month like clockwork. I am now trying to tell another credit card company the same rules on Bank Of Omaha, since that credit card was charging for the SECURE CREDIT PROGRAM and we never signed up for it... What are they trying to do make it look like they lost more than they did??? because looking at the amount that is on the 1099 there is no way that is my bill, and I know it is later than 12/31/12 more like 9/09 since I stopped paying on it for reasons of the interest rate and min amount they wanted each month, as they told me ' IT WAS FOR REASONS OF THE ECONOMY" and if anyone ever seen that in their contract to get a credit card... let me know because that is what they told me their reasoning's were to up my amounts were...because of the economy...

• Kr
    kryslyon Mar 28, 2013

I just got an irs notification in the mail today too! same company and it says we owe $2571 to them...which offset my taxes for that year (2011) and now we owe the irs $2000! im going to call tomorrow but after reading all this its looking like a credit card i had with bank of america in 2006. FOREVER ago! they can claim this as income in 2011? is there anyway to get rid of this? we are a low income family with 3 kids and im FREAKING OUT.

• Kr
    kryslyon Mar 28, 2013

oh by the way...what is a form 1099? we never got one of those for sure.

• Sc
    S.Cal-mad Oct 17, 2013

FIA Card Service is A.K.A Bank of America they will not send a letter explaining to me that I am off the hook which tells me they created this mess and used my identity to hide over $5000 dollars worth of money. [protected]. Time to sue FIA Card Services and BoA or both.

• Gr
    Griffith12 May 04, 2014

Just received a letter from IRS (1099-c) yesterday saying these people..FIA gave me 8, 317. Federal says I owe them 2, 020 due to this so called company. Not my debt.. Never heard of them or Never dealt any business with these people and Never been given any kind of money from them.. Now writing IRS saying I disagree with this. What else should I do?? Anyone with suggestions? Yes I am going to report them!! Never found anything on these people except this site.. Which has been helpful to me...making it clear it is a scam!! ~Illinois

• Ba
    Bank of A$$holes May 08, 2014

Once again the American people get (&&^% by B of A. This country has a serious banking issue. Well, I guess when the country is owned by banks...what should we expect. I never got a 1099 from these incompetant losers. Never. Now the IRS wants taxes on the amount B of A so graciously "forgave". Forgive this, rip off people. Now what? I guess just pay it, lose your house, pay the bank, seems to be the routine lately. Serious issues are going on right now. This crap still shows up on my credit report as outstanding. I WANT MY 1099 so I have some proof these clowns have 'forgiven' me. What a joke. Oh, and of course the account number doesn't match. Why would it? This way there is no reference and they can file another mysterious 1099 to the IRS again next year. Has anyone had any resolution with this garbage? Thanks

• Bb
    BBinNC Aug 06, 2014

I just found a number that you can call. They are sending me the 1099C I never received. Seems it went to a PO Box in California and I have never lived there. Check your credit scores. Phone number is [protected].

• To
    Tommy McC Aug 19, 2014

Call FIA card services A.K.A. Bank of America [protected] and ask for the Fraud Dept. and file a claim if the debt is not yours.If you received a CP2000 from the IRS call their number and tell them your working on it, I did.It's unfortunate but these things happen.

• Ny
    Nyki Feb 16, 2017

I just received my IRS documents and it's saying that I have a bank account with Bank of America and I can't access the account because I don't have account information I obtained information and review the balance and transactions as if account get access to it