Cox Communicationstelephone service

J Oct 31, 2018

On October 4, 2018 our Cox telephone service was abruptly and unexpectedly cut off. I called the next day to ask that it be restored. As it was going to be 4 days before a service person could come out, I decided to end our landline service permanently. Your billing office acted very promptly and appropriately to stop billing us for phone service. However, after a few days our phone service was unexpectedly restored. I knew this because I kept calling our number to see if the "this phone is no longer in service" message would come up. It did not. Instead, the phone just rang and rang. I don't like this because it makes callers think that we are just not answering our phone. So I plugged our phone answering machine back on the line and recorded a simple message saying, "This Number is no longer in service."

As a former customer of Northwestern Bell in Iowa and later Qwest and later Centurylink, my experience has always been that the phone company employs a message when a number has been discontinued. I assumed that Cox Communications would do that. If it is your practice to leave a line connected and a phone number active until a new customer is assigned to that number, I must protest. Please disconnect this line and apply an appropriate notification to the caller. I have talked to service representatives 3 times to get this done, and it never works, so I am notifying corporate headquarters. I don't know what else to do other than contact our Arizona utilities authority. Thank you.

Sincerely,