Consumer Recovery AssociatesAgressive, harassing debt collection

C Review updated:

Returned their call after they left messages on my phone and my mother in law's phone. I thought it was odd that they asked for me by my maiden name (I've been married for over three years)yet called my mother in law's home. I never lived with her, had mail sent to her home, or used her as a reference or contact under my maiden name. The man that answered my call asked for a reference number, which the caller, a Miss Harris, did not leave in either message. He then asked for the phone number they called, and I provided mine. He asked if my name was **** *****, and I told him that yes, that had been my maiden name. He did not ask for my married name, and I did not offer it. He said that he was with a collection company that was now the owner of a credit card debt that I owed to a Bank of Marin. I vaguely recognize that name -- if I owe them money, the debt has to be at least 8-10 years old. I stated that I would need to see something in writing before doing anything about it. He said that a letter was sent to me and gave a PO box address that I don't recognize (could have been one of mine, though, I've had a few.) He said that if I did not respond to that letter, they would report the debt (which he said was a little over $1100, with interest and fees) to the IRS as unreported income, and that I would have to pay fees and penalties on that amount to them. I stated again that I would have to see in writing what he was talking about. He grew audibly angry/frustrated and informed me that this had been on my credit report for a long time, and that I should have seen and cleared it up by now anyway, that he was "trying to help clear this up, " and that the "gentleman in the background" (I assume he meant the background noise from my kids and the TV) were not going to help me clear this up. He reiterated that I would have to pay the IRS "heavy fees and penalties, " then stated that he could not help me as he could not hear me (he hadn't paused long enough for me to say anything and was speaking in a very angry tone of voice) and that if PO Box ##### was not my address, he could not help me. He then hung up. He never said his name or the name of the company. I didn't see the phone number they called from, as my cell phone screen is cracked, but the number they left for me to call back was [protected]. After speaking with him, I went online and pulled my credit report from all three agencies. There is no credit card debt listed for Bank of Marin, or listed as being held by them. Nor is there any credit card debt even approaching $1100.

Jul 09, 2009

UPDATE: I called them back this morning, to try to get the name of the company and the address at which to send correspondence. (I have both, because I ran down the company name/address through the Internet using their call back number, and called the office after hours -- their voice mail gives the company name as CRA, which is linked in multiple places with the company name Consumer Recovery Associates, as well as other aliases that trace back to the same company -- but I wanted to give them a chance to give it to me.) No dice. I spoke with a Richard Scott. I asked for the company name and address. After a long pause, he said my name (first and maiden, again) and I confirmed that that was me. (they must have caller idea... although my husband's cell, that I was using, is not in my name... and certainly not in my maiden name. So weird.) He asked if I was calling to make a payment, and I said that I was calling to get the name and address of the company, so that I could communicate in writing and have a written record of any business with them. He informed me that they do not take payments through the mail, and that I could pay by phone. I said that I was not willing to do that, as I believed the company, and specifically the person I spoke with yesterday, was already in violation of the FDCTPA. He then asked for my address, which I refused to give over the phone. I reiterated that I wanted to communicate in writing, so that I would have a written record, and again asked for the company name and address. He again asked for my address, and I again declined, asked for the company name and address, and asked why he could not give it to me. Mr. Scott replied, "Good-Bye, (my name)" and hung up. I will be following up with written communication to the address that I do have asking them to cease any contact of myself, my family, my job, and my associates by phone, and contact me only by mail, and asking for validation of the debt they claim that I have, as well as validation that they are, in fact, legally allowed to collect it.

• G
      Jul 10, 2009

I have also received harrassing voice messages from a company that only identifies themselves as CRA. My calls are coming from "Heather" who is in California, [protected]. My experience is similar to yours, they are giving my maiden name and have never sent me anything in writing. I have been married for 13 years, however; and I do not have any outstanding debt from that long ago. My husband and I bought our first house 2 years after we got married, and we were very thorough in reviewing our credit reports and paying down our debt so that we could get our first home loan. I do not have any current outstanding debts or collections either.

My harrassment began about a month ago. I have no idea how they obtained my home and cell phone numbers, both are unlisted/unpublished and are under my married name. I haven't responded to them at all, since I have no idea what they are claiming and they have never sent me anything in writing. They just leave rude voice messages with a "case number", and repeat their script about it being a "time-sensitive and urgent legal matter" and say I must contact them "immediately". I went to file a complaint with my State Attorney General, but in order to process my complaint the AGO will forward a copy of the complaint to CRA -- and I do not want to divulge my married name or home address to them if they don't already have it. I don't really know what I should do, so far I've just blocked their phone number but I'm sure they will switch to a new number shortly and resume their harassing voice messages.

Jul 10, 2009

Note... please be aware of this Fraudulant Recovery Agency that goes by CRA. They contacted me about a month ago as well, leaving a Preliminary Case number on my husband´s mobile in reference to a debt they were trying to collect from an Associates Card ??. Immediately, I called them back very concerned not being aware of this collection. Spoke to a lady who was quite hesistant to explain the reason of the collection and how it generated. She was only interested to know of my bank information, said she had to record the conversation for legal matters. Clearly I was not intrigue to this scam. However, I did check my Credit Report to make sure I had no outstanding debts; sure enough noticed NO collections nor any discrepencies link to this agency.

People do your homework, & do not tolerate any harrasment from criminal agencies like this. Always demand a Validation of Debt Letter even if you do know of an excisting debt. In most cases, CRA tends to violate The Statue Of Limitaions and if so please report them to the Federal Trade Commission . www.ftc.gov

Aug 08, 2009

Do not call these people back and if you do call do not give them any information. They are trying to collect on a debt that is past the statue of limitations or one that you never even had. Report them immediatley to the ftc at www.ftc.gov also report them to the Virginia Attonrey General. Check all three of your credit reports and if this company has made an inquiry then report it as fraud. This company must be stopped and they are well on there way. There has already been a lawsuit filed against them in Arizona.

Sep 21, 2009

These people somehow got my bank account information, generated a phony check number and took money out of my account. no letter no notice, nothing, This caused my account to crash and several checks to be overdrawn. I owe them nothing, yet the bank allows them to steal from my account.

Dec 23, 2009

Also check out www.budhibbs.com/collectorpages/consumer_recovery.htm There is a lot of info and tips on how to deal with these people.

Jan 13, 2010

I have to disagree with everyone here, except for the harassment part...they can be a bit pushy to say the least. I also received a call from that company and even though the debt was old I STILL OWED IT. There are so many people out there that borrow money from banks and credit cards and never pay it back. Just because the origional creditor doesn't "own" the debt anymore doesn't mean you don't owe the money. To borrow money and sign an agreement to pay it back and never do so is robbery. This is one of the reasons the economy is the way it is, because of shady people trying to take advantage of the system. I'll bet if any of you loaned thousands of dollars to someone and they refused to pay it back you would be livid among other things.
    I myself did research on this company and found out that they are a legal, certified collection agency. And if you look up the definition of a 1099c it is there in black and white what it means, and unless you have a statute of limitations in your state for debt collections they are well within their rights to file it.

Jan 29, 2010

I am very concerned about this organization(CRA) as their m/o is so inappropriate. They have not bothered me but I am assisting someone with a disability and they called and tried to scare her to death with very threatening language, insisting she pay money that day via phone or have her IRS return liened. This kind of harassment toward frail seniors, persons with cognitive challenges or anyone who simply does not understand their rights is unconscienable. I have spent half a day trying to figure out where I should report the info. I have(phone#, names, etc) so that it will be investigated and pursued. So far there does not seem to be enough concern from any agency with teeth. I feel like the girl in Avatar, growling in defense. Any advice?

• E
      Feb 14, 2010

I would like to interview anyone who has had experiences with this company (CRA) and people who has worked for them or any other collection agency/department. Please e-mail me at [protected]@gmail.com.

• S
      Mar 09, 2010

This happen to me and somehow they got my home telephone number and my cell phone number. I had a card through Bank of Marin but it was 6 years ago. I asked this gentleman Elliot how did he get my phone number and he said that it was on file..I knew that he got my number somehow because he knew everything about me. He knew that my husband and I has a checking account with First Convenience and he knew about my husband's retirement. He also stated that he was fixing to release this paperwork to the IRS for unclaimed income. I called my bank and they stated that they do not give out their information to no third party vendor. But how did they get a hold of cell phone...

Sylinda and Kenneth Baker

Apr 06, 2010

I agree that they are mean and nasty and I got hung up on 3 times while being very polite. I was trying to get information on my debt and give them my banking number in order to pay it back. I finally reached a nice representative who still interrupted me when I tried to talk but was a ton more helpful than everyone else I talked to. I have no notice of the debt that they say I owe on any of my credit reports but I do see several inquiries that that they have made. One claimed I gave them permission to do so and I have done no such thing. I am going to dispute this with Experian. I dont know how legal they are operating but I think something should be done about they operate.

Apr 07, 2010

The 1099c that everyone is referring to is a debt forgiveness or cancellation of debt.

When the 1099-C is issued to you and to the IRS, you must claim the indicated amount as income in the year the debt was forgiven.

Once you pay the income tax on the forgiven amount, the creditor can not come after the same amount again. The debt is forgiven.

This is just a threat that rarely ever happens when it comes to credit card type debt. If they file that then they can not try to collect on it after that so it kind of defeats the purpose.

Also I think only the original creditor can file that as you did not enter into any credit agreement with a collection agency and then they could only file for the amount that they paid for the debt. In the case of CRA it is usually in the pennies per hundred of dollars and once again you do not "owe" them anyway and never did.

Apr 07, 2010

Also the comment by Birdy is an obvious post by a CRA rep and should not even be taken seriously.

Anyone who has ever had the displeasure of having these idiots call them know better.

I had them call and tell me that I needed my attorney to review documents or else. When I asked what debt they were referring to they would not answer and just said I should know! I told them that whatever debt they were calling about was well past the statute of limitations and then they hung up on me.

If this was a valid collectible debt they would have provided info as well as not hang up as that kind of defeats the purpose of making a collections call.

I think they just make as many calls as they can and when anyone calls them on their BS they just go away. Pure scam and scare tactics for sure.

Just tell them they are in violation of the law and you are reporting them to the FTC and States Attorney General. Tell them that for each time they harass you that it costs them $1, 000 in fines and attorneys fees.

• K
      Apr 13, 2010

This company is legitimately a scam...they would not provide a me the name of the company or what type of company it was. They were calling my mother non stop harrasing her. i told them that she did not speak English very well, and that when it came to matter of companies calling for her. I am the one that handles the calls cause i translate for her. the Rep said that they would not provide information regarding her"account" unless they spoke to her. I told them that WE needed to know what company it was and what it was concerning. She said she would not provide me that information. It took 5 harrasing and hang up calls for her to finally tell me the name of the company, but would not tell me what type of company it was. She then said that my mother needs to contact her attorney and that she needs to sign some documents. After that...i became enraged. I understand privacy laws but not providing the name of the company and basic info about the company sounds suspicious...SCAM to me. I have attempted to call the company back, but the phone number is disconnected. I received another call today from the same company. This time she would not let me speak, so i did not let he either. Her " supervsor" got on the phone and did not even represent himself. I told him the same thing I told her. He told me he gave my mother 1 hour to call back...i called the number and it was DISCONNECTED!!! how do i stop this...their # [protected]

• P
      May 06, 2010

I was also contacted by this company. They called my cell phone and put meon hold for 5 minutes with a continuous recording stating that I had to hold on that they had important legal information about my finances that needed to be addressed immediately Finally a Mr. Gibson got on the phone and after he said who he was I asked him what this was in referenced to and he extremely rude and arrogant like I should just shut up and listen to him. He proceeded to tell me that they had sent numerous letters to me regarding a past due account Household Finance from 2000. He had my soc # my cking account info and told me that the debt was for $1100 but it was now 2, 047.11. He said that if I didnt set up an immediate payment plan they would refer me to the IRS and I would be responsible for unclaimed income plus penalites and interest. He said that I could not be late on any of my payments otherwise they would re-report me to the credit agencies as defaul again on a debt. I checked with my atty, and my accountant - both told me that the debt was already written off on my credit report and it was past time statue of limitations for collections. Yes I might be at some point responsible for this with the IRS but my accountant figured out what it could be at it worst was like $325 - not $2, 047.11. They are theives - they buy these bad debts for lie a penny on a dollar and then strong arm people into paying back the debt with astronomical interest and penalties. They scared me so much I closed out my checking account for fear they would take money from me since they had all this information on me. I did call them back within about two hours on the same day - when I asked for Mr Gibson and his extension [protected] ext 2008) I was told he was not available and the woman asked what it was in reference to.I told her that they better not pursue this matter that I checked with my atty and my acct and that this debt is past the statue of limitations and it against the law what they are doing.

• W
      May 15, 2010

Attorney General of CRA home state. File a complaint. They are currently being investigated.

Federal complaint form:

May 17, 2010

This company is very rude. They claim I have an unsettled debt from over ten years ago, but I do not. They repeatedly hung up on me while I was speaking and acted apalled of these occurances when I finally spoke to a normal person. I am on to their "bad cop god cop" game. I am sending them a no contact and statute of limitations order to see if they refrain from phoning me. I hope this will help.

May 21, 2010

I think if you owe money wether it was 10 years ago or 5 months ago you borrowed money and never repaid it, that is theft. So get some integrity and give back what you stole! It doesn't matter if a person is aggressive or not once you go through 2 or more agencies do you think they should be nice? really? People shouldn't have to chase you down for something you chose to take and not return. Stop complaining about how rude people are and listen to what they have to say. You all are being rude by talking trash about them when your the problem.

May 21, 2010

I am grown honey and the Transformers my SON has I PAID for them, I didn't have to borrow money to get them but if I did I would have re-paid who ever LOANED me the money. You should just get a life instead of montoring the computer. You must be one of the people who like to whine about someone being aggresive with you for not paying money you borrowed and never re-paid. So, i'll go back to making sure I pay my bills concidering I recieved money that wasn't mine. I like the feeling of knowing I paid for something it makes everything rightfully mine! Wonderful feeling. Oh and it also means i'm not contributing to this horrible economy. Maybe if people would stop taking things then we wouldnt have to worry about debt collectors at all am I right? Yeah thought so.

May 27, 2010

I AM ALSO BEING CONTACTED BY THESE PEOPLE .I WAS HUNG UP ON 4 TIMES YESTERDAY BEFORE I FINALLY GOT A MR PATRICK COLEMAN ON THE PHONE. HE HAD HUNG UP ON ME ONCE AND THEN DECIDED TO TALK TO ME . HE WAS VERY CONDECENING AND TOLD ME HE WAS COMING TO THE COUNTY I LIVE IN NEXT WEEK & THAT HE WOULD SEE ME THEN. I TOLD HIM I WAS TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT THIS WAS ABOUT AND WHO C.R.A. WAS HE WOULD NOT TELL ME . I TOLD HIM I HAD MY IDENTITY STOLEN 10 YEARS AGO AND THAT IT WAS AN ONGOING PROBLEM. HE TOLD ME HE DIDN'T KNOW WHICH CREDIT CARD CO IT WAS OR THE EXACT AMOUNT THAT WAS OWED ORIGINALLY. I TOLD HIM I HAD NO IDEA WHO THIS BILL WAS OWED TO AND I HAD NOT HEARD FROM ANY CREDIT CARD CO. HE TOLD ME THEY WOULD TAKE ME TO COURT AND TURN ME IN TO THE IRS AND I WOULD HAVE TO PAY A LOT MORE. I FINALLY AGREED TO PAY IF THEY WOULD SEND ME PROOF OF THE CHARGES . I WAS LEFT WITH A PAYMENT PLAN THAT TAKES MY GROCERY MONEY, AS I AM ON DISABILITY. I CALLED BACK THE NEXT DAY TO GET AN ADDRESS TO MAIL THE PAYMENT TO AS I DO NOT WANT TO GIVE THEM ANY BANK INFO. THE MAN I TALKED TO WAS VERY RUD AND TOLD ME I WAS NOT SENDING ANY PAYMENT S TO THAT ADDRESS AND THAT I WAS GOING TO BE SORRY .HE WOULD ONLY TAKE CREDIT CARD NO ON THE PHONE AND THAT WAS THE ONLY THING HE WAS GOING TO TALK TO ME ABOUT. HE WAS VERY LOUD AND VERY ANGRY THAT I WAS QUESTIONING THE WISDOM OF THE PAYMENT PLAN. I HAVE NO ADDRESS TO SEND A LETTER TO HAVE THE CALLS STOPPED AND DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO NEXT. MY DEALINGS WITH THIS CO ARE THE SAME AS MOST OF THE OTHER POSTINGS. THIS CO NEEDS TO BE STOPPED. WHAT TO DO NEXT?

Jun 16, 2010

Any debt colector that refuses to validate claims of money owed is running a scam. They refuse to send any written notification because the claim they are trying to collect on is past the statute of limitations and there is no legal action that can be taken to recover the money. This means even if you did once owe money you no longer do and the debt is forgiven. If they refuse to send any written notification and you set up a payment plan and start to pay on this debt then that resets the statute of limitations and you will now be legally obligated to repay the money owed. I received a call from CRA from a man named Pat Coleman, they have a lot of Pat Coleman's working there don't they, who said my husband owed on a repo from 2002. Since the statute of limitations in the state the car was bought in is 5 years for this type of transaction he does not owe any money and will not be paying. Please don't fall prey to these people. They have to send written notification to you it's the law, and if they refuse just hang up. Don't pay or set up any payment plan. http://www.fair-debt-collection.com/SOL-by-State.html this is a web site of statute of limitaions by state, it is very useful

Jun 24, 2010

A "Miss Thompson" called my house twice now looking for my wife. When I tell here that she's not here, I state that I'm her husband and would like to know what it's in regard to. All they give me is, "We've been trying to get in touch with her for a while and it's important, and we can't tell you why because of privacy laws." When I ask what privacy law she's speaking of that won't allow her to tell a spouse what they're calling about, she got belligerent and abruptly ended the call. I called them back at their 800 number so I could request that all commnuication from they're firm be in writing only, and the next woman I talked to said that they can't do that because my wife owes money. When I quoted the FDCPA, she got crappy as well and hung up on me.

These people are a joke, and try to use scare tactics to get people to pay on debts that may not be theirs, or are old as Moses. If they call you, GIVE THEM NO INFORMATION!!! They ask for your SSN so that they can report the alleged debt to you credit report and scare you into paying. Immediately ask that they cease phone communications with you and request that any correspondence be in writing. If they don't comply, immediately report them to the FTC www.ftc.gov, and your state attorney general and the attorney general in Virginia and complain that they're violating your rights under the FDCPA.

• N
      Jun 28, 2010

If you've been harassed by this company I suggest a complaint should be filed to the BB as well:

Jun 28, 2010

I got a call from Consumer Recovery Associates. My number is Non Published & I dont know how they got it.

I talked to Richard Scott and he informed me that I had a outstanding debt with a Visa card and he was trying to clear up this matter and offered me a settlement or set up monthly payments. There were issues with this Visa Card I had over 8 years ago. My old room mate had stolen this card and charged it up to the limit and moved out before I found out. The Visa card comany would not work with me on this issue so I refused to pay.

Consumer Recovery Associates buys uncollectable old and past due debts from other companys for PENNYS ON THE DOLLAR and then they will call you and try to get you to set up payments arrangements & offer you a lump sum payment option ( DON'T SET UP PAYMENTS ARRANGEMENTS WITH THEM IT WILL RESET THE STATUET OF LIMITATONS AND YOU WILL OWE THEM THE MONEY)

I called and talked to my Lawyer and he told me to call Richard Scott back at [protected] and ask him to Resend the information on what I owe and how much I will pay each month on company letter head. Richard Scott refused to send me anything & said that we had already sent you this information. I asked him once again to RESEND the information so I can see if your company is legit and he refused once again >>> then I told him because your company legit and then argued with him for 4 minutes and told him about the Comments ON Google and he got even more angry. I argued with him because it was FUN and Richard Scott Hung UP ON ME.

Jul 01, 2010

These people called me about a Balleys membership I opened up 5 years ago. When the guy started to get smart with me I hung up on him. The past years I have worked hard to get my credit score up, and I refused to let it drop, so I decided to call back. "Heidi" answered the phone and told me that since I refused to pay the debt that I had no business calling them anymore. And then she hung up. I called right back and spoke to "Michelle" who suspiciously had the same smokers voice as "Heidi" and told me to quit calling and that I was harassing her. Then she hung up again. Interesting. So I call back and speak to a man (can't even remember his fake name) and he starts laughing and telling me all this crap about owing people and not paying and so forth. He hangs up on me. So the next day, I get an alert on my credit that they have made an "installment inquiry" So I call back and speak to the same guy. BUT I already know this game. So I keep my voice even and ask them to send me a letter in the mail for this supposed debt. Then he starts talking about terminating the call, to which I started laughing and respond back, "if you had any balls between your legs, you wouldn't be so quick to hang up. But I understand, it must be hard when you have real people trying to have a conversation about the [censor] company you work for" **Please note I sound like an eight year old on the phone** This kept him on the phone for 10 minutes! He starts saying "Didn't you in a recorded conversation yesterday say that your social ended in ####?" "THEN IT IS YOU!!" So I respond back in my even tone eight year old voice "Well if the conversations are recorded, then you will have on file, that I've asked you repeatedly to send me a letter in writing about this supposed debt. Also, all your antics have been recorded as well" Wait for it...He hangs up. I've done some research and it really just seems like they go after debts that are past the statute of limitations and prey upon people who they hope will fall for the scam. If 5 people say [censor] off, and 2 people agree to pay on an installment plan for $1000 each, "Heidi", "Michelle", "Dick" and "Douche McDouche" get paid their $4 dollars an hour. It's almost a perfect scam. If you call them, first ask them to repeat their name, then ask them what is the name of the company, and then tell them that you are recording the phone call on your end and then see how much info you get. Probably not much, but it makes them liable for anything they say.

Jul 27, 2010

I had received a call late yesterday evening from a Mr. Adair. He stated to me he was an attorney from Consumer Recovery Assts. He stated that he had received a notice of debt owed to Alltel. I had never had a cell phone from this company. I did have one for cellular one. He informed me that the two companies merged, but anyways this was for an account i had canceled in Nov, 2004. He stated that I had owed an amount of about $400 but they would settle for $165.68, strange amount. Now if I did infact have an owed amount I would like to clear it up. So I told him I would settle for that amount. He proceeded to tell me that he would need my bank info for a draft of this amount. I told him I am not giving any bank info to him and informed him I would send a money order in a certified envelope. He proceeded to tell me if I do not give him the info that he would file a 1099C. I am well aware of what this and informed him I would need to speak with my wife (who is a loan officer at a finacial institution) before I authorize any draft from our account. The same man has called me today and I had asked him if he could provide for me a hard copy of my contract with the cell company, any account history, or a letter showing that i owe this debt to them if this is a legit debt. He at this time became very rude and raising his voice saying that this is a debt that is owed and I need to address right now. I informed him that it has been 6 years and in my state the SOL states that they cannot collect by legal means the amount. He yelled at that piont that thier company did not need my $150 and they would sent the 1099c and that i was not worth dealing with. Was very rude. Any help with this would be appreciated and if I am wrong about them not being able to file a 1099C after 6 years please let me know.

• W
      Aug 03, 2010

I just got a call from this sme agency. They called from an 864 number and they ran the whole "trying to help me" angle on an account over 9 years old. There was a lady who became angry when I said that I would rather take the chance of an IRS penalty than pay for a debt that I don't remember. She got angry and said that she will put me down as refused. I called back, because I wasn't sure if this meant that it would go down as an unclaimed income or that it would go back into collections, and spoke with a Mr. Montgomery who was very angry and said that he knows the direction to take. I google'd them to see if they were valid and this was the first thing to pop up.

• R
      Sep 21, 2010

This CRA company called me saying that they were handling a debt in collection, and they must 'represent" me immediately 'otherwise'. After checking all three credit reports, I do not have anything negative or in collection for the past 7 years. These individuals are using their computer skills to find information with 'INTELLIUS' or any other company that through the internet and a small fee, will give you all information about you. This include relatives, phone numbers and address. This search is legal, however the reasons they use it are totally illegal. including the harrasement calls/ Nothing you can do, unfortunately... The BEST THING to do is NOT TO ANSWER their calls, do not give ANY INFORMATION about yourself, needless to say DO NOT GIVE YOUR BANK ACCOUNT or CREDIT CARD numbers to ANY of these individuals. As once you do, you are giving them the ways to make withdrawasl at any time and of any number of dollars. Use an answering machine to check who is calling and NEVER... I mean 'NEVER" return their call/.

Oct 28, 2010

IF YOU WOULD PAY YOUR BILLS ON TIME, CONSUMER RECOVERY ASSOCIATES WOULD NOT BE CALLING YOU. GET YOURSELF TOGETHER, BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR FINANCES, AND QUIT CRYING. SHUT UP, AND PAY YOUR BILLS!!!

• U
      Nov 02, 2010

I like how someone who is obviously "working" for this company keeps posting on here. This company also preys on people who are already down on their luck. Someone needs to shut them down and a law needs to be put in place that your credit report is private and should not be able to be "bought"... I work for a very prominent attorney's office. Recently I contacted this company about a person and when I asked for the fax number and address they put me on hold. They come back to the phone and tell me a fax number and then they would not give me an address. When I kept asking them for the address they kept asking me for personal information of the person I was calling on. I would not give them the personal information. At last I asked again for the address and they hung up on me. RIDICULOUS... I hope these people cannot sleep at night over what they are doing and I know that karma is a bi*** and will come back to get each and every one of these people.

Nov 11, 2010

CRA is a junk debt company that uses any means - legal and illegal - to attempt to collect debt that you may or may not have. They refuse to validate any debt, claim you owe on credit cards you have never had, yell obscenities over the phone, hang up when you ask legitimate questions, and are real bottom feeders. Do NOT pay them or agree to pay them a dime unless and until they validate your debt . . . which they will never do, since they have no records beyond what they see when they pull seemingly random credit files. Know your rights, and don't let them scare you.

• R
      Nov 24, 2010

HERE IS AN UPDATE FROM THE BLOG I WROTE EARLIER TODAY
    NOVEMBER 24, 2010 11:38 AM
    CALLED THESE NUMBERS 11/24/10 11:05AM
    [protected] Phone Number Disconnected

[protected] THIS NUMBER RINGS TO A VOICE MAIL AND NO ANSWER. VOICE MAIL FULL! THE MESSAGE SUGGESTS TO CALL [protected] AND WHEN I CALL THIS NUMBER [protected] THAT PHONE NUMBER IS DISCONNECTED!
    [protected] THIS NUMBER RINGS TO A VOICE MAIL AND NO ANSWER.
    [protected] THIS IS A GOOD NUMBER AND IT IS NOT ANSWERED AS A BUSINESS. THE PERSON THAT ANSWERED ANSWERS THAT PHONE "HELLO MAY I HELP YOU." I ASKED IF THIS IS "CONSUMBER RECOVERY ASSOCIATES, AND SHE SEEMED RELUCTANT TO ANSWER. I ASKED H THE PERSON THAT ANSWERED GOES BY THE NAME: CHRISTINE. I TALKED TO KALIN SCOTT-VICE PRESIDENT. HE IS A SCAM ARTIST.FRAUD WHO IS TRYING TO COLLECT MONEY THAT IS NOT OWED THAT HE ALLEGES. I ASKED HIM TO FAX ALL HIS COORESPONDANCES AND HE REFUSED. IN FACT, HE SAID THAT THE REASON WHY THE AMERICA IS IN A RECESSION IS BECAUSE OF ALL THESE PEOPLE THAT HAVE COMPLAINED THAT DON'T PAY THIER BILLS. I TOLD HIM THAT HE HAS TO ESTABLISH FIRST THAT THE DEBT HE IS COLLECTING ON IS VALID AND HE WOULD NOT LET ME TALK. LOOK. THESE PEOPLE ARE SCAMS. CALL THE COMMON WEALTH ATTORNEY OF VIRGINIA BEACH HARVEY BRYANT III AT: [protected] AND I RECEOMMEND THAT IF YOU ARE A VICTIM OF THIS SCAM TO FILE A CRIMINAL COMPLAINT. THE MORE PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN VICTIMIZED BY FRAUD INVOLVING CRA (CONSUMER RECOVERY ASSOCIATES) AND CALL THE COMMON WEALTH ATTORNEY IN THEIR AREA, WE HAVE A CHANCE TO STOP THESE FOOLS FROM PREYING ON OTHERS. DO IT! THEY ARE BREAKING THE LAW! THEY NEED TO BE STOPPED! GOOD LUCK! CHECK YOUR CREDIT ON A MONTHLY BASIS AND WRITE TO THE CREDIT BUREAUS AND EXPLAIN TO THEM OF THEIR BUSINESS PRACTICES.
    HERE IS A LIST OF ADDRESSES OF ALL 3 MAJOR CREDIT BUREAU'S: (FOLLOW THE PROCESS)
    Experian
    Customer Disclosure Center
    Trans Union Consumer Relations
    P.O. Box 2000
    Chester, PA [protected]

CRA (CONSUMER RECOVERY ASSOCIATES)
    2697 International Parkway # 4
    Suite 270
    Virginia Beach, Virginia 23452
    PO BOX 2916, VB, VA 23450

Head Debt Collectors:
    Christine Spruill Mr. Parker Mr. K C Scott
    Peter Brunson Conrad Grey
    This is from Creditreportproblems.com

I am going to try and make contact by calling all these number listed. and I will update this blog as I make progress. Also, I have decided to contact the Common Wealth Attorney of Virginia Beach City City Attorney for Criminal Proceedings- Mark Stiles City Attorney's Office Number [protected]: Common Wealth Attorney- Harvey Bryant III
    [protected]. This is all I have. As I said, I will update this blog as I receive information and updates. In the mean time, I urge strongly that if you have been contact by CRA (Consumer Recovery Associates) Get thier current phone number and DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY INFORMATION! THEY ARE A FRAUD. IN ANY CASE, DO NOT GIVE ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION INCLUDING SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER, DATE OF BIRTH, ADDRESS OR BANK ACCOUNT. GOOD LUCK!
    KALIN SCOTT. VICE PRESIDENT

Dec 14, 2010

If you get a call from these people, call the Federal Trade Commission ASAP at [protected].
    This company appears to be attempting identity theft and fraud.
    I have had similar problems already with these people. They are extremely rude and arrogant. They do not like to be questioned. They will not give you any information about their company. When they called for my wife, they tried (unsuccessfully) to get her Social Security Number. During the conversation she had with them, they gave her a complete SSN of the person they were looking for. Talk about illegal!! That's the height of it right there!! I called them back and tried to get information, the person I talked to, a Mr Adair, said the person my wife talked to yesterday (John) was in another department. He wanted to know what I wanted to discuss. The first thing out of his mouth was "Are you a lawyer?". Sounds like he is a bit afraid of lawyers. He refused to tell me what company he worked for. I mentioned I had concerns about the call since we have seen incorrect information on our credit report before. He said they had the wrong person apparently as the SSN they had (which ends in 7546) is not associated to my wife. I informed him that it is a violation of federal law to give out someone's SSN (see earlier comment in this posting). He told me it's not illegal and I know nothing about the law!! Interesting!! He proceeded to get very nasty and then hung up on me. Don't trust these people. Report them directly to the FTC ASAP @ [protected].

• N
      Dec 14, 2010

I am now dealing with these people as well, as somehow some way they have gotten my new bank account number(just open this account within the week). Made me a bit suspicious as the check number was something completely off the wall... (kinda of hard to give out any information i do not have yet myself). I have tried finding all the information that i can on this company, yet to no avail... i have found nothing on this company.. The bank has no information for them, so here i am, stuck with having to already, file a claims report and change banks. This is very childish, and they really should watch who they try and mess with. Military dont take kindly to fraud...

• E
      Jan 08, 2011

These people are clearly [censor]. How they knew my social security number truly did scare me. If ever I had ever had a car repossessed or had ever owned the make and model they claimed had been repossessed I might understand why they had my personal infromation. Don't even give them the time of day and certainly never any information about yourself. They are clearly trying to collect debt that is beyond to SOL or creating fake files based on some thread of truth from your distant past. FYI I did once default on an auto loan (the only one I ever took out) and it is paid and not in collection. Report these people immeddiatley to your State AG the Virginia AG, the Federal Trade Commsion and the BBB. It may not stop or even slow these sleeze balls down. But it will make you feel better.

• V
      Jan 25, 2011

To RioBravo:

I just got contacted by this company, their new number is [protected]. After they contacted me I did a little investigating on statutes of limitations for my state and filed a complaint with the FTC. When I called them back armed with this new info, the guy I spoke with became very angry and making harassing comments. He never once let me get a word in and then hung up on me once I finally was able to say that i filed a compliant against them.

Feb 17, 2011

I just received a call from them too and they hung up on me. Upon calling them back I was informed they had already told me what it was about...they did not...they actually hung up on me after spitting out what it was so fast that I could not understand them...then when I called back the lady asked if I was calling to make a payment. I said, "No" I am calling to find out what this is about. She said, "So you are refusing to make a payment?" I said, I am not going to make a payment on something I do not know what and who it is for. I also informed her that I was recording the conversation. She told me she did not give me permission to record it. I said as long as it was a conversation between her and I and not her and someone else it was quite legal to do so in this state. She then refused to discuss with me what this was in regards to but...informed me that they would be filing it with the IRS. I do not owe anything (especially not any check cashing places - they are preditory lenders ! both of which were mentioned but I have no idea what the names of them were I just remember check express or something or other and one other one similar in name when the guy spit it out so fast I could not understand most of it then hung up on me.
    I firmly believe they are a fraudulent company as well. They had the last four digits of my SS# and my name correct though and how I have no clue! These supposed debts are also not listed on my credit report. Seems odd to me that if they wanted the money for a true debt they would be more than happy to give me the information necessary to make an informed decision to pay it and not be rude and arrogant resulting in non payment by me. (In the event they were correct for some ODD reason which I know they are not) Submission to the IRS will get them no where anyway as I do not file taxes and...my bank account was long ago closed. So, rudeness will get them nowhere anyway whether I owed it or not...(which I know I did NOT OWE it.)

Mar 01, 2011

I just had the same situation happen with me. They refused any written documenation and proceeded to yell at me. The debt they are talking about with me was 10 years ago and is nowhere on my credit reports. Don't give them any info. Report it to www.ftc.com. This is the first and only time I've ever heard from anyone about this supposed debt I owe. I paid it years ago. It's a scam people!

Mar 11, 2011

@Crock-of-ish - Please give us a call at [protected], or you can fill out the Contact A Manger form on our website, http://www.consumerrecovery.com/contact-a-manager/

If a representative was rude or yelled at you, we want to know! We take your feedback seriously and will do everything we can to correct the situation quickly.

Consumer Recovery Associates is nationally licensed, bonded and insured, and we abide by the legal and ethical guidelines put forth in the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and The Association of Credit and Collection Professionals pledge.

• A
      Mar 11, 2011

Let me start with saying I am not a lawyer and am not giving legal advice because frankly I dont understand how the law works it seems it is only set up for crooks and lawyers but I will tell a bit of my stories.

First my wife was sued for a credit card that she did not know anything about. In the documents admitted to the court from the suing company(in Iowa they dont have to even show up when suing you isnt that a crock) they had numerous names that ended up being the same company saying it was owed but nothing else. The magistrate actually called while we were standing there and asked for proof, gave a continuance of a month. Month later we showed up and Magistrate dismissed this. In his order his dismissal was "no original documentation from HSBC". Unfortunately or maybe on purpose he did not dismiss "without" or even"with" prejudice so a different lawsuit could be done. A year to the date we were sued again by a different junk debt buyer for the exact same thing but this time there was an apparent bill from HSBC in my wifes name but the address was wrong, a town we never lived in 2 1/2 hours away. The magistrate called this company asking for more proof and gave a continuance for 10 weeks away. I told him I thought it was nonsense that all they have to do is sue without proof and not even show up yet we have to be there and have proof otherwise, he agreed and said that they can not win unless we dont fight it or if there is no original documentation. HE said what is to keep them from just throwing a name on a bill and claiming it is authentic.

THIS WAS A MAGISTRATE FROM IOWA THAT SAID THERE HAS TO BE ORIGINAL DOCUMENTATION BECAUSE THESE COMPANIES ARE KNOWN FOR MAKING FAKE BILLS.

Now to those that are posting stuff like pay your bills and threaten IRS involvement I have another thing to bring up. I worked for an employer for 15 years and had a charge card with them. The payments were always taken out of my check and the credit limit was only $250. as I was getting older and going part time I went ahead and closed the account worked another 14 months and retired. The company sold out to another company and a few days ago I received a bill from a collection agency for $2576.12 for this account I had. I have not worked there for almost 3 years and its been 4 years since I had the card.

So this was a legitimate account i had, and if my remaining amount do was not taken out in my remaining 14 months of employment then I DO owe this, however you are telling me that a card with a $250 credit limit is now over $2500 bill, then No i do NOT owe that. I left out that my credit report shows this as a account I did have and closed and is listed as payed and MAX credit of $250.

Now to bring it to the IRS stuff. Even if they reported it to the IRS as money received they would have to report the amount received not the amount they are charging and then it would be considered paid and noncollectable if IRS did do something, and they wont, and this company would have to spend time and money to prove it was actually received by you and then would only get the original amount owed . NO FINES NO FEES. So there is absolutely no way a junk debt buyer would do all of this.

Look it up collection agencies.

Let me close by saying all collection agencies are scams let them take you to court it costs them. Do not communicate with them or make arrangements because they charge interest. If it is a legitimate debt and you want to make payments go to court and ask to make payments with the judge or in your answer to summons, because then it is done through the courts at a lesser amount than collection agencies want to charge and there is actual proof of it being paid and NO EXTRA FEES AND CHARGES.