Consulate Of Italy In DetroitIncompetent people at the Consulate of Italy in Detroit

D

For over a month I have been trying to get citizenship and passport answers from the Consulate of Italy in Detroit. I have called at least 3 times a week to try to talk to someone. Every time they transfer me to a voice mail and I never receive a call back. The secretary keeps telling me that if I give her my name and phone number someone will return my call. It’s been over a month and no matter how many times I leave my number they do not call back. I have never had such an issue of dealing with incompetent people in my life. If you are Italian or have any questions in which you need to use a consulate, avoid calling the Detroit branch at all costs.

joe Sep 30, 2008

I'm trying to marry an italian citizen. I've been trying to contact the Italian consulate in houston for a month now. My question had to do with the time it would take if we were to marry in Italy for her to be here with me. Although it states on their website to call for information about marrying an Italian citizen the CONSULATE said he knew nothing about an American marrying an Italian citizen. These generic Italian politicians need to realize this is America and if you do not do your job you are fired. They need to be taken out of office and replaced with the hard working Italians we scarcely see!

• Li
    Liz Apr 03, 2009

It seems that ALL the Italian consulates are the same. I have tried to communicate with the Italian consulate in Maryland and she was the rudest, most barbarous and insolent woman I have ever had the displeasure of attempting to speak with! And you can just forget about trying to contact the consulate in New York because that is an absolute joke. Every time I have tried to call their office, the phone just rings and no one ever picks it up! Their office hours are only about 3 hours a day, but regardless of when you call no one is ever there to pick up the phone. I seriously doubt anyone exists in that office.

What I would like to know is what is the chain of command? Who does one complain to about their ignorance, their lack of assistance, their terrible attitude toward the public etc..? Does anyone know?

Jaya999 May 07, 2010

I have the same concerns. The terrible attitude by the blonde clerk in Detroit Italian consulate made my day worst. I went to apply for the tourist visa and the woman started talking nonsense in a very rude manner and treated me very badly. I lost the interest to visit Italy and she spoiled my enthusiasm and excitement about our upcoming trip. I do not care any more whether I get visa or not as I can save money instead of spending thousands of dollars. The lady represented Italy and I am indeed concerned to visit Italy now. I may think about altering my trip to avoid a visit to Italy.

05/07/10 by Jay

rachelroma Jun 08, 2010

I too had to get my visa from the Detroit Italian Consulate when I married an Italian citizen. They were rude and slow and did not seem to take their jobs seriously at all. I have to confess though, that I get the same crappy service any time I come into contact with our own American government workers. If a foreigner in America judged the entire country by the postal employees it could explain why some people misunderstand or even hate Americans.

Luckily, Italy itself is not a bad place to be and not all Italians are lazy, rude, or incompetent. Buona fortuna! :)

• Ba
    Barbara_ Jun 08, 2010

I certainly don't agree that not all Italians are lazy, rude or incompetent in Italy. They may not be incompetent, but they are most definately RUDE, and LAZY! Italy is even worse than the U.S.. Maybe this is why the Italians in the U.S. Consulate feel they can get away with the same attitude of being lazy and rude as their Italian counterparts abroad. They are the ones who set the example.

rachelroma Jun 09, 2010

Barbara, do you represent ALL Americans? Do you feel that you are not a rude person yourself? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me.

But anyway, what qualifies you to speak of ALL Italians in such a way. I have lived in Sicily, Rome, Turin and and now Aosta and can say with surety that not all Italians are rude and lazy. Perhaps Europeans as a group are more reserved, but there is nothing wrong with reserving warm emotions for people you actually know. Something else I can tell you is that if you visited Naples or Sicily you will most likely find more cause to criticize Italy than if you visit anywhere from Rome up to the north. Although after reading your comments, I'd likely say you'd fit in better down there than anywhere in the north. Ciao!

rachelroma Jun 09, 2010

By the way, spell check is an easy way to make your comments look more intelligent without actually knowing how to spell.

Markzhane Nov 20, 2010

The italian consulate people at detroit are the most insolent, disgraceful, rude, inefficient lot who are an embarrassment to the italy country and shameful of being here is USA. At least they should resign, give up their jobs if they do want to improve their ways and give the baton to the more efficient and productive lot. I had to cancel my ticket and the entire trip because they could not get to approve my visa in time despite having ample time to review my application. Since they represent italian people in USA, I wonder if all italian people are like that?

• Li
    LimaBean Dec 10, 2010

I have been alternately worried, enraged, and confused by the high levels of incompetence and hateful behavior of the Detroit Visa Office. I am seriously worried that I won't get my passport back in time for my trip. When I have called to ask (they've had my stuff for a month now), on the ONE TIME someone answered the phone, the woman was totally rude, nasty, and patronizing--pretty much telling me to not bother her. And I was just politely inquiring! There are only 2.5 weeks before my trip, and they still have my passport. And then today, they were writing me emails saying that I needed to send in documents that I GAVE them WEEKS AGO! It seems that they're JUST NOW reviewing my information and have already lost some things. I would be furious now if I weren't so busy panicking. Can I request that they just send my passport back!? I'd rather go with my tourist visa for 3 months than not be able to go at all.

• Dr
    drewg22 Dec 15, 2010

Sadly, I have heard similar problems of other consulates throughout the U.S. The Italian culture is often one of laziness and a sense of entitlement that they shouldn't have to work. It is terrible that those of us with Italian heritage in the U.S. have to suffer at the hands of these imbeciles. The only consulate I have heard anything positive about is the one in San Francisco. They are very backed in processing citizenship cases (2 years) but at least they will answer your question by e-mail eventually. Italian consulates in general just don't pick up the phone.

• Fr
    frustratedtonoend Feb 16, 2011

The Los Angeles Italian consulate isn't any better. After repeated trips to their office they finally agreed to accept our documents. (I'm American and I married an Italian) They were supposed to submit the documents at the beginning of Feb last year. I moved to Italy on a tourist visa and returned after 3 months to get my residency permit. Something seemed fishy but I didn't know what it was until I return to Italy and tried to register with the local police. They never submitted the documents and Italy had NO PROOF OF MY MARRIAGE even though I was given the visa!! After 3 or 4 months of phone calls they sent the documents. Now, a full year later we have our Italian marriage certificate. Fun times...

• Gl
    Glenn Joven Mar 30, 2011

I concur with everyone. All Consulate of Italy in Detroit must be hung by their breasts and balls and thrown back to Italy. This people are very lazy and very very rude and the entire staff must be replaced.

• Sh
    shakini May 18, 2011

This is the worst inefficient consulate I have ever seen in my entire life. All I am after is for the stupid ### to send my visa, and they should be happy I am going to their sorry ### country to spend my money.

• Se
    Sebastianov Sep 08, 2011

I have to disagree with shakini. Italian embassy in Ireland is the worst !!! 5 months to make a passport and still waiting !!!

• Is
    istriano Apr 01, 2015

I just left my second message in 3 wks and I hope I receive a reply. Unfortunately I left it at the Detroit consulate. I guess I should not be too hopeful. As an Italian immigrant, I am embarrassed to hear all of the above complaints.

• Ft
    fthe man Mar 29, 2017

Ciao,

Italian Citizens by descent: (I. E. relative who was a immigrant ) Little know secret for easier Dual Citizenship!

I'll try to use the KISS principle. I've been through this, I know what your dealing with!

DO NOT EVEN TRY TO CONTACT YOUR REGIONAL CONSULATE!

They will maybe NEVER-EVER with an triple emphasis on NEVER contact you!

Honesty, there is like only have 8 people there trying to handle the cases of thousands of baby boomers and millennials in a six state area, like us, trying to claim their birth right. Plus, I think Italians, in the states or in Italy only work three hours a day. Thus, this is the whole reason I want to move there!

Google "embassy-finder.com" to find your closest "Italian HONORARY consulate"

If they are decent, they will review your situation and see if you even qualify and advise you on how to proceed.

My HONORARY consulate met with me and reviewed my documents. DON'T EVEN START THE PROCESS if you don't have the naturalization record of your Italian relative. They also can translate your stuff and send in your completed documents and application to the regional office. I don't even have to meet the consulate general or pay the $339.00 fee. Plus I think I cut a whole year off the process!
    DO NOT LISTEN TO the web sites that tell what documents you need to buy. CALL the HONORARY consulate they will advise you.

AS A SIDE NOTE : If your unluckily enough to need the vital records from a closed record state such as the Great state of new york you will need a $3, 000.00 court order like me. They won't release the birth certificate of my own mother without a court order.
    I am both Calabrese and Siciliano and I'll be dam*** if a control freak state is going to get the best of me with my own moms record.

Ok, well what-ever. I am going to go way out on a limb and give you my # to help anyone with further questions. I feel for all you poor son's of bi**** in my situation. Oh, and quess, what you don't have to buy a book or sign up for a free trial of anything. It's totally free and who knows maybe someone can include me in a Class action law suit against the state of old york to CEASE AND DESIST from their stupidness of denying blood relatives there ancestors records!

[number removed] Hope I can Help.

Arrivederci,

Yours truly, Not in a new york state of mind, THEIR DEAD TO ME, ha ha

• Bi
    Bill Gamble Jan 11, 2018

I went through Detroit without a htich and got my citizenship and passport. Just do the research yourself. They don't have time to consult each case. I gathered all documents between my great grandfather and me, with translations, and he only pulled the ones he wanted. Needless to say, I was approved in 4 months and got a passport application ready and received it in another 4 months. I only used written communication stating my intent and then E-Mailed for an appointment to prove my citizenship case.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices