Zaxby's / fired for no reason

My daughter who is 16 years old got her first job working at Zaxby's in Cleveland Georgia.She loved working, she went to work everyday and talked about work all the time, she made friends there and even gave them two referrals that still work there.She was asked to train the new girls, and to tell them what they needed to do.The manager's name is Zina Hale, and apparently had it out for my daughter.One Saturday when MY daughter was
scheduled to work from 11:am till 11 pm that night after working the night before until 11 then coming in at 8:30 that morning for a meeting.I received a text message from my daughter that evening saying that she just got fired.
I was shocked and the first thing I thought was, What did she do to get fired?, It
must of been pretty bad, a few minutes later she was at the front door crying .My daughter was so upset, she couldn't even talk about it, after a day she finally told me that they fired her because apparently she was rude to other employees, in her defense, which she tried to explain to Zina Hale
and was not able to even defend herself, she told me she was joking around
with this boy and she said I'm going to punch you in the face.This is just something she says, and she doesn't really mean that she is going to punch someone.She was called into the office, and the manager Zina Hale told her she was terminated for being rude to fellow employees and apparently her as well.Following the firing, Sarah went to speak and wasn't even allowed to defend herself, Zina Hale told her no, no you don't get to talk, and then told her to count her draw and go, she was even afraid to use her phone.While crying and counting her draw Zina Hale just walked by her and gave her a cold stare .I understand their concern with Sarah being rude but they didn't even give her a warning or a write up, just fired her .I really can't believe someone can get away with firing someone just because she can.My daughter worked late when they needed her never called in, never came in late, and she gets fired for having a bad day, mainly because she was overworked.I hope Zina Hale gets the same karma back at her someday when she gets fired and if I have anything to do with it I hope it's soon...

Ba
Jun 07, 2016

Comments

• Be
      Jun 08, 2016

So your daughter physically threatened another employee. Joke or not, that is NOT appropriate in a work place. It could also make a difference where they were "joking around" Was it front of house, where customers could/did see this? Again, NOT appropriate.

Many workplaces have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to things like violence, real or threatened. It isn't a joking matter. Your daughter has learned the hard way. It isn't funny to threaten people like that - or at the very least, it isn't the appropriate place to make such comments.

Remember, that you are also very much getting HER side of the story. I am willing to bet if the manager and other employees were asked what went on, there would be much more to this story.

Jun 09, 2016

I did get the information from the manager and they said the same thing she said, she was terminated for being rude to the employees and managers.She wasnt serousily threatening anyone they were not fighting just joking.Even so they did not go by the three strikes rule, straight to the firing.I have worked in many of places and been threatened seriously and no one got fired.The simple fact is the manager didn't like her and if she did she would of given her a second chance because she was a good worker prior to that she always came in on time never called off, they had her train other employees and tell other employees what to do.The issue is with the management, if they could of told me that she was being rude prior to one day then I would say yes fire her she deserved it.When I tried to get the information Zina Hale did nothing but give me a run a around, so if there is more to the story like you say, then why aren't they telling me?, I had my daughter go up there with me yesterday and all i got was a peice of paper with a warning then on the bottom saying final warning, presigned by the managers, when she came in the office and they told her what she did without even hearing her side, Zina Hale told her no, no you can't speak.The funny thing about this is that the guy who she supposely threatened would not even write a complain and drove her home.So tell me there isn't something fishy going on.Rules are rules and unless she went up to him and told him I am going to punch you in the face because she was mad then there is no reason to be so drastic and fire her.The manager will not release the information on what the other employees said.

Jun 09, 2016

I am well aware that it is not appropriate behavior, work or not, and in no way condone what she said.It was the way it has handled, Sarah was an other wise good employee which should count for something.What happened to the three strikes your out policy which is the Zaxby policy?As far as only hereing her side, I went up to Zaxbys and confonted the manager myself and at first all they could say was Sarah was the only one that could get that information, after that was said Zina the manager came out, (the one who fired her )and said she was rude to an employee and to her .So I asked her was she ever rude before and she said no.so I said did she get written up and she said yes she got written up, so I said when? she said same day I fired her.So she was basically a good employee who never got written up, came in on time never called off and even worked late for them, trained other girls, even though she was new herself she says one thing out of line and they fire her?The boy she said that to wouldn't even write a complaint thats is why they had to get an other girl to write it.The boy drove her home too!!

• Be
      Jun 10, 2016

When it comes to threatening a co-worker, regardless of whether it was "joking" or not - that's automatic dismissal. There is no tolerance for that kind of behavior anywhere. I have been a manager and would also fire her for that kind of activity. As for your "3 strikes rule" who's rule is that? What you think we should all abide by? Zaxby's has no such policy. The severity of the action is what changes the attitude regarding the discipline. In this case, she was fired. Hopefully your daughter has learned her lesson and will move on and find a new job and not behave like that in a workplace again.

There was a complaint filed - regardless of who did it. And your daughter DID make those threats. So she was wrong, and she was fired for her actions. Maybe you both need to learn this lesson.

Jun 11, 2016

A basic foundation of fairness in discipline is:

giving an employee notice that there is a problem
    providing an opportunity for the employee to change behavior, possibly through coaching
    In this philosophy, the purposes of discipline are to:

put a stop to the unacceptable behavior
    retain the employee as a productive member of the business

•   Jun 19, 2016

The problem with just giving her a warning / writeup is, if she ever did punch an employee, Zaxbys would be in world of legal trouble, because the injured employee could bring up the issue that it was not the first time she made a threat of violence., . Zaxbys was protecting their backsides in this case.

Jun 26, 2016

First of all, if you knew my daughter you would know she would never punch someone, it was a joke, just like when you say", I'm going to kill you", Does that really mean that you are going to kill someone no.?, she was joking around, like kids do these days, and the very only time she said anything like that, other then that, she was a very good employee. This is just a matter of not liking her period, one manager did not like her and that was it, she found what ever she could to fire her bottom line .I have worked in so many places and almost came to blows with other employees and no one got fired. This is just an excuse for this woman to do what ever she wants. The boy she said it too told her he would punch her back yet they didn't fire him. I don't care what they might of thought they didn't even give her a chance to talk just made her sign a paper that said she was terminated and she didn't even know what she did wrong. If she thought it was wrong she would not of done that, she wasn't trying to get fired, besides she was afraid of the manager yet the paper said she was disrespectful to managers, that is a bunch of bull. This seems to me that you think that Zaxby's does everything by the book, no I think not, they have 16 year olds working there 11 hours a day and only giving one break all day they also make them work until 11pm on school days, a friend of my daughters still works there under the same manager Zina Hale and said some boy came up to her and told her to suck his ?? fill in the rest but he happens to be a favorite of Zina's so nothing happened to him. This woman is a
    bottom line and if my daughter was a favorite and she said that, she would of done anything to give her a second chance it was wrong I don't care what anyone on here says...

• Mi
      Dec 13, 2016

I think the manager definitely had it out for Sarah, My opinion. If the guy didn't complain, we are talking teenagers, the other girl who did, liked the guy. It's called jealousy. Pure out green with envy, jealousy. The manager favored the other employee. Right smack dap in your face what happened. If you are a manager, your job is to be impartial.

• Mi
      Dec 13, 2016

Honestly, sounds like the manager is a bigger teenager than the teenagers. Again, My opinion.