Zales Engagement Rings / how can they get away with this stuff?!

My husband bought my engagement ring in the Rancho Cucamonga, CA Zales store March of 2006. By May 2006, I'd lost a diamond. I don't do labor, I will admit to wearing my ring all day/night... but I assumed that was what you were supposed to do with an engagement ring!!! It took two weeks to get the diamond replaced. When I got it back, the tint seemed a bit off, and the cut didn't fit the setting (tad too small on one side). I didn't complain about this... I was happy to have it back. By July 2006, I had to take it in AGAIN for another missing diamond! I couldn't believe how ridiculous it was that I'd only had the ring for a few months, and already had to replace two diamonds. It's heart breaking enough that part of the ring that holds such sentimental value is not whole anymore, as far as items that were there the night he proposed!!! I got it back just intime for my August wedding. Two months later, ironically enough as I am sitting with a friend and exchanging scary "I lost a diamond" stories... I glance at my ring, and to my surprise (not sure why I was surprised, but nonetheless), My prongs are broken! WHAT THE! Again, I work in an office. Short of washing my hair or doing the dishes, these hands are never anwhere near anything strong enough to rip out diamonds or break prongs! This time, it literally took 8 WEEKS to get my ring back! Knock on wood... I got it back November 2007, and I haven't had anything wrong since. I'm just waiting for it!

Here is the kicker. My little sisters fiance asks me to ring shop with him. We looked everywhere... ended up in the same Zales where my husband bought my ring. We laughed about "we shouldn't purchase here, who KNOWS what might happen with this ring!" But it was the perfect ring... she was thrilled when she saw it. It fits her personality to a T! So, for a moment, everyone forgot that it was purchased at Zales, and all fears were set aside to enjoy her sheer happiness everytime she looked at her left hand. Low and behold. The poor girl takes it in to have it sized. She just picked it up, and her fiance called with a horrific story. Not only is the ring now missing 4 diamonds (small specs on the side, but still, they are missing!)... but there are three gashes in the ring (one on the inside, two on the sides) which we can only imagine were left from a vice or something that held the ring during the re-sizing. I cannot believe this, I don't know what to say... I feel horrible for even suggesting Zales to my little sisters fiance. And of course, when her soon to be husband calls the shop completely outraged, they tell him "you have insurance, send it in, we'll have it fix... or you can have it replaced with another that looks just like it." Yeah, that's what they told me. Do they not realize the significant value of a ring he gave her the night he proposed? HELLO! I understand they won't comp the ring... but why the hell does Zales have such POOR quality jewelry, why the hell are we all complaining about the same thing... and they are STILL in business?

Signed, PLEASE tell me where to go from here!

Ch

Comments

• Ti
      9th of Apr, 2009

I COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE. I GOT ME RING ON FEB. 14, 2009; AND ONE WEEK AFTER I HAD IT SIZED ONE OF MY DIAMONDS FELL OUT. I JUST GOT IT BACK ON APRIL 2, 2009. TODAY IS APRIL 8, 2009 AND THE SAME DIAMOND HAS FALLEN OUT YET AGAIN. THEY PULLED THE SAME DAMN YOU HAVE INSURANCE SCAM ON MY FIANCE' AND I. WHAT CAN WE DO IN A SITUATION LIKE THIS?

• Ko
      21st of Apr, 2009

hi i was just browsing for a ring for girlfriend and i was just curious to read your story... am like this ... rings are man /women made right??? parts can break but its how & what the company does to fix the problem and with sincerity... and if they dont show compassion towards there valued customers thats when there showing that they are getting too big to kiss a@ss . so now i feel that im taking my buisness elese where... thanks for saving others n i time and our hard earned money... Konz from BROOKLYN NY

• Ju
      1st of May, 2009

How sad is it.. that I am looking to replace my ring.. because I have had all my stones fall out too . I have gone to Zales several times.. emailed, , ect.. and they said that they a new jeweler.. My band.. I had custom made band.. I went back to them.. and they said.. I shouldn't have selected that band.. that anything custom is sketchy.. so my question is.. why DO WE PAY MORE FOR CUSTOM THEN??? I just got married and three times people have asked to look at my ring.. and how awesome.. that either.. A new stone is missing, or I have to say.. oh well i don't have it right now.. Zales is fixing it again.. NEVER SHOP at Zales!! IT has added so much stress to my husband and I!!!

1st of May, 2009

I learned that diamonds used to be really expensive, but then diamond mines were discovered in South Africa in the late 1800s and prices plummeted. Thus was the De Beers Group formed as a cartel to bolster prices.

De Beers has been an extremely effective cartel. Diamonds would probably sell for only a fraction of their current prices where it not for a combination of restriction of supply and a marketing campaign to increase demand.

The tradition of the diamond engagement ring is a bogus one. It's a tradition that De Beers invented in the 1930s. De Beers spent big money on marketing, and worked with Hollywood to place diamonds in romance movies.

The retail price of diamonds is two to three times the wholesale price, which in turn is quite a bit higher than what you would get paid if you wanted to sell back your diamond. And probably the wholesale price is several times higher than what it would be without a cartel to prop up the prices. (De Beers has successfully convinced people not to sell back their diamonds with its "diamonds are forever" campaign--if people sold back their diamonds instead of keeping them as family heirlooms, this would put downard pressure on prices.)

Who decided that a man should spend two to three months of his salary on an engagement ring? De Beers. If only all the men of the world would unite and agree not to pay so much, we would all be better off.

• Ni
      2nd of Nov, 2009

Wow! I had a ring all picked out and told my husband about it so he could buy it. Now after reading all this, NO WAY! This may sound crazy, too, but I found a GORGEOUS ring at WalMart (their guarantee is no better/worse than Zales) and for the money I think I will buy that ring! It's always a chance you take buying anything so I may as well save a few bucks and do it at WalMart. Thanks for the info, guys!!