Zales / 1ct Marquise And Princess Cut Diamond Bridal Set In 14k White Gold Rings / wrong and damaged ring

1 CA, United States Review updated:

My experience with Zales had brought me nothing but stress, disappointment and so much dismay. It took me roughly five years to save for a ring upgrade and just ended up with so much disappointment. I'm the type that more often than not, does research before purchasing a product. Thinking that Zales is a reputable company, I skipped the research and went straight to purchase, which is probably one of the biggest mistakes that I've ever made in consumer history. The ring that I bought and fell in love with was a 1CT Bridal set ring that consisted of 1 engagement ring and 1 matching wedding band with a 1/3 CT center stone size Marquise cut diamond accented by 20 princess cut diamonds in a wax setting from Zales.com. After so much anticipation, my packaged arrived as scheduled BUT to my surprise, I received a wrong and damaged Ring! I got 1 ring with a princess cut center stone in a prong setting with 2 missing diamonds on one side. I was so furious, took pictures of everything and drove right away to the closest retail store with the items in its original fed ex box including copies of my transaction receipts and a print out of the product specification with photo of the original ring that I bought. I showed it all to the store manager and sales person. They have processed the return and advised me that I should receive a refund in 2 days. What ticked me more was the store manager even had the audacity to ask me why I didn't go to their store to buy, as if blaming me for the faulty product I received. None of the Zales personnel apologized to me but instead the store mgr. tried to sell other jewelry to me in store. I already filed a formal complaint to better business bureau about my issue and will wait till I get a resolution. I don't understand why Zales can get away with this? After my horrible experience, I have started to read about horror stories of other consumers with Zales. I wish I have read the warnings earlier and saved myself from the misery. I hope someone will conduct an investigation considering the volume of people experiencing similar horror stories and most importantly, I hope I will be able to help and warn someone with my experience.

Ag

Comments

• Ag
      24th of Sep, 2010

@Stealth Pilot: Glad that I got one of my points across. Thank you for pointing out some more valid points for others to contemplate on but I just wanted to clarify that while your guess of a "mix-up" as an explanation to what might have happened to my order, may or may not be true, it is important for everyone to note that whether I have done any research or not, I should have received the correct item (as specified and advertised) that I purchased. When I bought the rings, I did not pay the seller less than what they asked and I paid them on time. I fulfilled my end as a buyer therefore, they should do the same. It was unnecessary to subject me with stress, unnecessary use of my time as well as the gas expense for their mistake. This is my main complaint.

At this day & age, with the popularity of online shopping, I think that any one, retailer or consumer, recognizes the associated risk in web purchases. Considering the economic turmoil, most businesses survive because of consumer trust & the related factors to sustain it. In short, it was my choice to buy the diamond online without seeing it. I had placed my trust to Zales that they will give me the item I paid for as they have attested, described and advertised. And secondly, of course, I am planning to get the ring appraised by a different jeweler to make sure that the specification is correct. Needless to say, any seller will be breaking federal regulations, consumer laws and civil rights for false advertising, deception and the like and anyone considering the value of their purchase should be smart enough to verify and confirm. It's like buying a diet soda (poor comparison to diamonds but don't want to use any brand names), I wouldn't be able to tell if the calories and ingredients are as what they say in the nutrition facts. I only rely on 3rd party independent certified testing experts or agencies who conducts the research and reports to say it is. And if I bought a diet soda, I expect to receive a unopened diet soda, not water or an opened juice box. Who wouldn't get disappointed if they didn't get what their hard earned money paid for? Just because Zales had poor reviews does not give them an excuse to not deliver the correct goods and it is also not a fair reason for me to be satisfied if they give me a different thing just because people commented that they are that way. My disappointment is obviously still prevalent.

Your point about Zales' online and retail store has some truth. I know this not only because of Zales but it is the same for any major retailer too. My order was shipped from TX, the retail store I went to is in CA. However, regardless of office locations or employees, online or retail store, Zales.com and Zales is one company/corporation. Why else would they say in their return policies that I can return the merchandise to their retail store? SO, online merchant mistake or not, they both hold the same responsibility to their patrons or any consumer. They adhere to the same company policies and standards, therefore, they should deliver an appropriate customer service for errors that any of their team makes. But just to clarify, I didn't take out my frustration at the store's sales clerks nor with the store manager. Although, I did express a dismayed tone while speaking, I cannot deprive myself of that. I was civil despite the horrible experience. I believe that some things just can't be resolved in aggression and most of the time it's really counterproductive, which is why they quickly acted on processing my return. My comment towards how I was treated by the store manager were my thoughts and annoyed feelings at the time. My issue just happened yesterday, I will post an update if they resolve ever resolve it.

Bottom line, I will be more wiser in making big purchases like this one. I waited five years to be reminded of a life lesson. So my advise, don't repeat other people's mistakes. Avoid them! If I may emphasize it again, a smart shopper does his/her research and know your rights.

24th of Sep, 2010

You don't have to convince me of my mistake, I already blatantly admitted from the beginning. Although I respect your constructive opinions, referring to your statement "I do not think your time or aggravation are such that you should have come here to complain." - any one has the right to express their own dissatisfaction, discomfort and annoyance if deemed unjust. It's the reason for complaint boards, this is another tool to get your message across to the entity or person you are complaining about and to people who might be able to relate. I personally can't measure any person's level of aggravation and I wouldn't judge because I do respect their rights. So In my situation, Out of $ + No Ring + Poor customer service = merits for my cause to complain.

This will be my last comment on the matter. I have said my piece. I appreciate your input and responses to my situation. You show good knowledge in Jewelry-related problems and seem to make responsible, wise choices in purchases (based on your answers), which makes your posts a good read.

29th of Sep, 2010

I take no offense on your comment. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Anyway, the 2 days refund? more like 30 days! and if I don't get it in 30 days, the rep said to call them so turns out it's my responsibility to remind them! their reason? because of the volumes of packages they receive each day (hundred to thousands). So basically, I give their company props for being able to legitimize keeping people's money for 30 days, earning a month's interest on it while the unknowing customers pay for interest on their credit cards for a merchandise that's no longer in their possession. Simple math just imagine, the potential $ they could earn for 1000 people due for a refund. Maybe this would explain the free shipping! Price to pay for their 100 days return policy. Argh! hate that I got blinded with the glitz of that ring. I wish for this horror to end!

29th of Sep, 2010

I take no offense to your comment. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.