York Street Homes/Lance Puig / Real Estate Scam
I was completely SCAMMED by York Street Properties. I am a real estate investor who purchased 6 homes from them that were sold to me as being completely rehabbed. They showed pictures of examples of the kinds of rehabs they do and listed out all the details. Long story short, when they wouldn't pay me the rents due me as my property manager, I investigated and went to Dallas. Every one of my homes were in complete disrepair and some of them are going to cost me $20, 000 - $40, 000 to repair. They just painted and put cheap carpet in to make them look nice and covered up all the problems. In one house the kitchen cupboards have fallen off the wall because they screwed them into sheetrock instead of studs!
They also SCAMMED my tenants. One of the things I discovered is that York St. told the tenants that they could buy the houses in 5 months and gave them a signed contract. They did not disclose this to me as the investor! I interviewed all 6 of my tenants and they all told me they had experienced the same nightmare with York Street.
- House wasn't ready on the move-in date.
- Some of them moved from house to house until their house was ready.
-York Street never does what it promises to do.
- When repairs are finally made, they are made by unlicensed, unskilled cheap labor.
- Repairs must be done again becuase they aren't done correctly or cause more problems.
- Takes hours of trying to phone them before they reach a live person.
Some other things they did:
- Before closing, sent me falsified documents with higher rent amounts than the actual amount on the lease.
- Told me the properties were all leased and cash flowing when they weren't.
- Have not paid me security deposits and rents due me since June. They only partially paid.
- Lance Puig is the President and when I had a phone conference with him he assured me he would get all matters resolved and to date has not.
- They gave the tenants a "one year warranty" and then had the tenants pay for the repairs instead of their rent, therefore I didn't get the rent as the owner/investor.
The worst story ever...
I got a call from people trying to move into my house that York St. had told me was leased. These people were in a panic becuase they had paid York St. $1150 in June as a deposit to get the house cleaned, repaired.They went into office York St. on July 15th and paid their pro-rated rent for the rest of the month and went to move in and the house was red-tagged by the city with over 16 items that had to be repaired before they could move in. There was dog POOP all over the living room carpet and the house was in total disrepair and filthy. These poor tenants were panicking becuase they had to get their stuff out of storage and had no place to move to. When they finally got through to York St. on the phone they were told that they no longer managed the property and that I was the new owner. (I had fired them as the property managers in the end of June becuase they refused to pay my rents to me.) What they failed to do was inform me that the copy of the lease they had given to me for that house was no longer valid and that the house was vacant and that they had re-leased the home to these folks that would be moving in on July 15th. AND, they took the money from them on July 15th even though they weren't the property manager anymore.
Don't BUY from York Street as an investor!
Don't RENT from YOrk Street either!
Their website for potential lease-to-owner's is http://www.yorkstreethomes.com/