YMCA / equal rights & refunds

Please accept this letter as a response to the email from David Kirsch to Pompey Hawkins dated 11/07/16. We respectfully request your assistance in an attempt to resolve the conflict concerning the denial of equal opportunities for our family.

In sum, my coaching refund was delayed and our family refund was denied by David Kirsch, Zach Carr, and/or Meghan Gass. On 10/26/16, Zach emailed to me, in part, “…You would have already received $25 for coaching so this would be for your team members only….” On 11/07/16, David Kirsch emailed to me, in part, “…With that, we are following along with the scenario that Zach laid out to you in honoring the coaches discount but not adding an additional refund on top of that as the coaches discount is larger than the refund we decided upon….”

The YMCA proposed this family refund to everyone “because our children are not receiving equal opportunities to play like other children and our parents are not receiving the full value of their money’s worth like other parents, which are both based on conditions beyond our control and/or other parents’ and players’ unsportsmanlike conduct.” My argument is that the $25 coaching refund is for all volunteer soccer coaches, but the $15 family refund is for all our team’s players. I am equally entitled to my coaching refund, like our other parents/coaches that received both refunds. My wife and son are equally entitled to our family refund, like all our other team’s players have received family refunds.

In conclusion, we are respectfully requesting our equal right to our family refund. On 10/26/16, I emailed to Zach, in part, “…So, is my son entitled to his family refund, like all other members?...” On 10/31/16, I emailed to David, in part, “…So, is my wife entitled to her family refund, like all other members?...”

In closing, we are respectfully requesting your executive assistance to equally refund to our family, like all other members, our $15.

• Updated by Pompey Hawkins, Dec 08, 2016

Nashville, TN 37214

• Updated by Pompey Hawkins, Dec 08, 2016

November 17, 2016

Mr. Hawkins,
    Thank you for your email.  David Kirsch has kept me informed of this situation from the start.
    David, Zach and Meghan have gone above and beyond in facilitating your numerous requests in this situation.
    As an organization we went above and beyond in offering and fulfilling partial refunds to the parents on your soccer team.
    As a volunteer coach you received a $25 fee reduction to honor your time commitment in coaching your son’s soccer team, we will not be offering any further refund.
    I have communicated your situation to our Snr. VP of Operations and confirmed, we will not be taking any additional actions towards a refund.
    Sincerely,