SUBMIT A COMPLAINT

Yelp.com / yelp &algorithm& filters out 95% reviews

706 Mission St , San Francisco, CA, United States Review updated:
Contact information:

We had 5 great reviews (No bad) on yelp. Sure enough, they contacted us to buy advertising. While we were speaking, I looked online and all but one of our company reviews had disappeared. When I asked the salesman about it, he explained that they have an "algorithm" that filters out infrequent reviewers. When I pushed him for a better explanation he said, "5% of people make the decisions for the other 95% everyday, we use the same principle."

I told him that I was personally a yelp member but only did reviews about 4x/yr - when a company was outstanding or if they really sucked. He responded that only I could see my reviews, but others couldn't because i'm not a frequent reviewer. That was it for me. This company operates on principles that are completely unpalatable. All our reviews eventually have disappeared. No loss, we have never received a new customer from yelp anyway. And I let my personal account go inactive.

Sort by: UpDate | Rating

Comments

  • Da
      14th of Jul, 2010

    Ah so I am not alone!
    same problem here. I used to have a restaurant in Santa fe and got very good reviews and never got more than 2, yelp was deleted them.
    I moved to Albuqureuqe, open a new restaurant got one review and already disappear
    Oh well I am going to spread the word about this scam!
    Urbanspoon and tripadvisor is better

    0 Votes
  • Da
      25th of Aug, 2010

    We had exactly the same thing happen to us. One good review remains up, but 2 negatives, which drops our average significantly. Meanwhile several positive reviews were briefly posted, then hidden (and they don't factor into the average).

    Meanwhile, the Yelp Sale s people called and did their extortion thing. Like clockwork.
    THAT'S their "algorithm.

    We tried to join the Class Action lawsuit against Yelp, but the lawyers said they don't need our participation. I hope they put Yelp out of business.

    0 Votes
  • So
      25th of Oct, 2010

    Yes. Yelp is a fraud and I'm experiencing it from the consumer's point of view. I live in Chicago and a lovely and "red-hot" (extremely well received) restaurant recently opened. I and most of the other yelp reviewers gave the restaurant a 5 Star rating. Suddenly, mine and a number of other positive review became "filtered" driving down the overall rating. It appears that yelp is in the process of shaking down this new business. I'll never pay attention to another yelp rating ever again.

    0 Votes
  • Ex
      12th of Apr, 2011

    Everything posted above is true. Our motel was well featured and honestly reviewed but as soon as I refused to pay their exorbitant fees all the good reviews mysteriously vanished leaving just the one (2 year old) bad review.

    It seems to me that unless you are willing to hand over hundreds of dollars a month to these scam artists they deliberately try to run your business down to hurt you. They should be investigated and possibly shut down for illegal marketing.

    sunsetmotel.ws

    0 Votes
  • Ge
      27th of Sep, 2011

    Omg... I thought that I was the only one that YELP was filtering all my good reviews and continued to keep the FEW negative reviews posted. They rated me with a one star! How can they rate me with one star with all my positive reviews. I was contacted by someone from Yelp looking for payment of some sort I declined and was glad I had him on the phone to complaine about the ratings and he said he would look into and of course it got worse from there. I am furious with yelp! and something needs to be done. I am looking to file a lawsuit against yelp for all the business yelp has cost me by leaving bogus reviews from disgruntled ex-employees and other competitors. I have been in business for fourteen years and I am being denied to join groupons and other discount companies because of the bad reviews YELP continues to keep posted and the one star they rate me with. I am printing all reviews that have been filtered and the negative reviews they keep posted. I am done with them YELP they will pay for what they have been costing me and other businesses for years! If There is anyone else out there that is lookin to file a class lawsuit please contact me at [protected]@sobellasalon.com I hope we can make pay back what they took from all of us.

    0 Votes

Post your comment