Yelp / rude salespeople

Don't trust Yelp. I was considering purchasing advertising on Yelp to help my business. I spent 54 minutes on the phone with a sales representative. While it looks like they offer some nice SEO and advertising I was, in the end, surprised at the monthly cost and declined to buy in. At that point the sales rep asked a few questions, then a few more, growing increasingly pushy until he was finally just rude about it and all but hung up on me. What a joke. While I understand a business needs sales and sales numbers and that trickles down to individuals like this sales person I was talking with, it tells me a lot about the culture of a business when an employee acts the way this guy did as soon as he realized his sale wasn't going to happen. He lost any potential future sale for the company and made me distrust the company completely. Don't use Yelp. Use Google reviews or something else that is not motivated by the bottom line.

Comments

• Ye
      30th of Mar, 2011
    Yelp - Fake Reviews / Extortion
    YELP

Another Fake Consumer Review site in my opinion.

They filter out reviews and then of course for a "membership fee"...well, you probably know how the rest will turn out.

Negative ones appear to stay, positive ones get filtered out.

YELP in my opinion is just another scam. Do not put any faith in their reviews.

• So
      2nd of May, 2011

If you think that Yelp will help " market " your biz you are so so wrong. If their idea is filtering out your good reviews then they are amazing at it. Also they charge you but can not show you any of your ads !!! If you are a small biz...like me SAVE your money and take a trip some where nice it will be less stressfull then dealing with those condescending twits!!! DO NOT DO NOT PAY FOR ADVERTISING !!!

• Pm
      25th of Sep, 2011
    Yelp - Take Action
    Yelp.com
    California

My story is the same as thousands of others. I intend to help get the word out to business owners and consumers on how we can take action. Visit saveusfromyelp.com to voice your complaint then visit https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ to file a complaint with the ftc. If you are wondering about laws governing consumer testimonials visit http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/10/endortest.shtm

• Cl
      8th of Dec, 2011
    Yelp - Waste of time
    Yelp

Yelp...we'll theres an idea thats a waste of time. They let any ### post statements true or not. I say avoid yelp, you'll be glad you did!

• Ao
      19th of Feb, 2012
    Yelp - NEGATIVE REVIEWS IF DON'T SIGN UP FOR ADS
    Advanced Orthopedic
    Edmonton
    Alberta
    Canada

YELP IS A SCAM OPERATION that will denigrate your business if you don't buy their ads. Even positive legitimate reviews are removed by a process they falsely call "filtering". YELP IS TOTALLY UNRELIABLE AND DAMAGING UNLESS YOU BUY THEIR QUESTIONABLE PRODUCTS

• Tb
      7th of Sep, 2012

I have reported to BBB and also called FTC. FTC said no one has reported this company yet. Odd that all these complaints are out there yet FTC has no filing? Pls call and report to FTC .
    FTC 877-382-4357

• Na
      21st of Jul, 2014

I absolutely agree. I experienced the same with rude extremely pushy sales people from Yelp. I was nothing but disgusted with how they talked to me. I declined their expensive offer of being advertised on Yelp and after I noticed they removed the best reviews from my page which I have got from my clients. Don't trust them!!!

• Na
      21st of Jul, 2014

Agree 100%!!! Scams and frauds and nothing else. I experienced the same. They were extremely pushy talking to me and literally forcing me to buy their advertising. After I declined this offer they removed positive reviews from my page. Don't trust this SCAMS!!!

• Jn
      3rd of Mar, 2015

I told a salesperson today I had no money left in my budget because I'm a VERY small business...she said, well then you FIND the money...and I tried to hang up SEVERAL times and she pushed and pushed until I finally hung up on her. Thing is...I might have considered it but the powers that be at YELP should understand, because of her I WILL NEVER consider it.

• Wi
      11th of Dec, 2018

The Second time a yelp Salesperson called me and was very rude and nasty with me on the phone for refusing to buy their business ads and asked him to not call me again as I had been promised by the first salesperson my number would be removed. I left a voice message to the receptionist at Yelp Corporate. Hopefully Corporate takes note of this and does something about their rude salesreps.

• El
      18th of Dec, 2018

Yelp salesmen are extremely rude. Constantly calling, talking over you, pushing you for appointments, making you repeat yourself. Won't take no for an answer. Make snide remarks and I would never consider using them as a platform for service. I used to use yelp for restaurant menus but I will never go to their site again. They need some charm school training!