YAY Services / Scam computer services

1 Salt Lake City, UT, United States Review updated:

Last September my computer froze and I got a message that appeared to be from Microsoft or Apple telling me to call a number for help. It was Yay Services. They said my computer was infected with viruses and malware, I had no firewall, and my IP address was affected so all our internet connected devices could be affected. Over the next several days they kept me on the phone for hours terrorizing me about how bad my problem was and how they had to get more and more senior personnel to work on it. I paid them for a one time fix. I believe I was suffering from Stockholm syndrome, needing to believe they were legit and they would fix everything for me by the time they convinced me to pay for a one year agreement with them. Even though my computer was supposedly fixed, they continued calling me several times a day to check if everything was OK. Then they started harassing me to buy a five-year extended plan. By this time I was very suspicious. Then my husband's computer froze in a manner similar to what mine had done. He waited to consult the IT firm his company uses to check his computer. There were no problems. Then they checked my computer. They said I did have a firewall, the one they had previously installed. Then they looked up Yay Services and found they had faced allegations of fraud. I asked my credit card company to dispute the charges from Yay Services because they had scammed me. I wrote a letter to Yay Services telling them never to contact me again.

But guess what? In the last week somebody has been calling me at least 3 times a day with a recorded message warning me that they show a red flag on my computer due to some watchdog program they had put on my computer last year. According to the IT firm my husband's company uses, Yay Services did not install any watchdog program on my computer. It was all a complete hoax. And here they are calling me repeatedly trying to incite fear so they can scam me again. Apparently they are so bold they don't even make note of who caught them in their scam.

Who can expose companies like this and make them stop scamming people?

Je
Oct 28, 2016

Comments

• Mo
      15th of Aug, 2018

Yay services says they will auto debit my account, as they hold my account details. What can I do to stop this happening.

• Au
      20th of Sep, 2018

@moe310 When you call to cancel your subscription do not take the refund that they offer!!! They set me up on a screen share session and asked me to provide my bank account details. I declined and said that I did not want to receive the refund and asked that they simply cancel my subscription. When I declined the billing manager threatened to steal and delete all of my personal files and information from my computer.