Yankee Candle / gel air freshener can melt plastic

I purchased a vanilla scented yankee candle gel air freshener for my 2007 toyota tundra. I hung it on one of the knobs on my dash and when I went out to my truck after it had been there several days, I noticed a messy substance on my dash behind the freshener. I got a rag with warm water to wash it off and the plastic finish came right off and the plastic dash is actually pitted from the gel, like it had melted a little bit. I looked for a warning on the product and there was nothing that said not to let it come in contact with your cars interior. I have contacted yankee candle company but have yet to hear from them. At this point, i'm just posting this as a warning. Hopefully the company will own up to it. If not, i'll be back...

Va

Comments

• Do
      21st of May, 2009

I also purchased a gel car freshener had it hanging off the rearview mirror. I came out to my car and the car gel had melted on my dash. I barely touched it and the finish on my dash board melted right on my finger. I will also be sending pictures and information to yankee candle. Fortunately, I purchased a double pack and still have the original package. My dashboard is now ruined to the tune of at least $1, 500.

29th of Apr, 2010

I bought a yankee liquid freshener which spilled and lifted the varnish off my dining table worth 800 pounds does anyone know who you complain too as it would be much appreciated.

• Di
      1st of Jul, 2010

mine got ruined too. hopefully it is not that expensive and yankee will pick up the bill.

• Bu
      10th of Jul, 2010

My dashboard was ruined as well. Warning - do NOT use the Yankee Candle gel air fresheners!

• Lj
      31st of Jul, 2010

I have used the car air fresheners for over 3 years. This time the Clean Linen GEL air freshener melted all over the console of our 2009 Chevrolet Malibu removing the finish on several of the center console componets.

DO NOT USE!

4th of Aug, 2010

I also had purchased the Yankee gel air freshener for my truck. I got into my truck the other day and seen something on the dash and noticed that the gel from my air freshener has dripped down onto it. I wiped the gel off only to find that it took the finish off my dashboard. This made me so upset and even more upset to know that this seems to happen alot with this product. People please don't use the Yankee Gel Air Freshener, for this $5 product has now costed me over $500.

• Pa
      7th of Aug, 2010

Had a gel air freshener, melt onto the plastic and wouldn't come off.

• Ni
      15th of Jan, 2011

I own a 2011 ford mustang I had a gel yankee air freshener hanging it melted all over the center of my car and it ate the paint down to the plastic I haven't heard from Yankee yet about this matter but i will not let it go I take care of my car and am so sicken by this please don't use these products in your car

30th of Mar, 2011

Has anyone pursued anything other than casually contacting this company?!! My dash is also ruined! I mean this is the value of my Tahoe were talking about and they are still selling these things all over the place!

• Jr
      14th of May, 2011

I had a Yankee gel air freshener hanging from my rearview mirror in my Sierra truck. Just yesterday, when I got in my truck I noticed something on my dash and the face of my radio. It was the gel from the Yankee gel air freshener. It had dripped down on my dash and radio. I wiped the gel off only to see that it took the finish off of the face of my radio!!! I am not pleased with this product and it irritates me now to have damage on the face of my radio when I keep my newly purchased truck in such a great condition. I need to know who I have to contact to get this resolved!!!

14th of May, 2011

I am going to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Affairs. Anyone else have any other ideas? If we get together on the matter maybe we will get somewhere with this company.

• Jj
      26th of May, 2011

Stealth Pilot, if you go to the Yankee Candle site, and on the package itself, it is called "Gel CAR Refresher." Yah, it is made for use in the car, and it's defective. Ruined my dash in my Expedition also. It also had very little smell to it, unlike Yankee Candles. Can't believe they're still selling the Gel Car Refresher. I bought mine April 8, 2011 and it ruined my dash on May 23, 2011. They advertise it for use in cars, but it is in no way made for use in a motor vehicle. It can't take the heat. Buyer Beware!

25th of Jun, 2011

I have an 05 jeep. I had one of the air freshner cardboard style ones. It fell off the mirror and landed on the console between the front two seats. It -was-a beautiful metallic silver. Now it's stuck ON the freshner and I have a huge melted mess with a nasty hole in it for a console. I just bought the car 3 weeks ago. I was so proud to put my beloved Yankee candle scent in it. I could cry.

• Al
      13th of Jul, 2011

I have a beautiful '91 Ford Thunderbird SC that I take pride in (especially with its classy tweed and leather material). Went through 2 of these gel fresheners and the second one melted and dripped onto my center console. I wiped up while I could (because it dripped while I was driving) and now I am working on detailing the inside of my car, thinking I could scrub the mess up. Well, of course it's stuck on there forever (and might have even melted the plastic all together). Has anyone found a solution to clean this up?

• Js
      14th of Jul, 2011

My daughter just experienced the same thing on a NEW (2011) car. Anyone take action on this with attorney general of their state or with Yankee? It seems to me all need to make this loud and clear. Maybe all complain to Consumers Union www.consumerreports.org?

• Hy
      24th of Jul, 2011

2009 infinity G37 with ruined dashboard and leather seats because of this stuff. I am going to be contacting the company. If they don't pay for it, I suggest we start a class action lawsuit.

• Hy
      24th of Jul, 2011

2009 G37 infinity: ruined dashboard, shifter, and leather seats because of this product. I will be contacting the company to complain and if they don't pay for it I think we should ban together and start a class action lawsuit against yankee candle company

• Dc
      29th of Jul, 2011

Just happened to my 2010 Prius. Toyota quoted $700 to replace my console.

• Dc
      29th of Jul, 2011

I would seriously take part in a class action suit. I've been researching this and I've found complaints as far back as 2003. The company had to know about this but doesn't seem to take responsibility. There is nothing on the packaging that notes the product could leak and damage a car.

• So
      2nd of Aug, 2011

Yankee knows about this problem...they have now discontinued this product because of this. They have been clearing out the overstock for 5/$10. I was an employee there and we were pushed to sell these things.