Xulon Press / vanity press

1 United States

I strongly suggest that authors stay far, far away from this company. Basically, I have flushed $4k down the toilet, not to mention my time. As many others have stated, if this is a Christian company, no wonder the world is in chaos. As a person who holds a degree in journalism and has been in the graphics business for 30 years, please take my advice.

From start to finish, the process was a horrible experience. The only person who stayed in contact was the sales rep, who called and called until I purchased the Elite package. The Xulon representative who was assigned to me after my purchase did not respond to questions in a timely manner -- if at all.

The authors "portal" was useless. The rep failed to notify me via the portal OR email that my book was ready for my first review, so it sat for two months!

The $400 extra I paid for a "professional" editing job was a joke. The editor failed to find simple mistakes and made edits that were very questionable.

The layout department was completely unprofessional. I found blatant mistake after mistake. Photos were labeled incorrectly. Text was completely out of place or duplicated. We went through rounds and rounds of edits.

When I complained about the process and asked to deal with someone other than my assigned representative, a manager became rude and obnoxious, basically blaming me for the problems.

They took the money to create the eBook version. It didn't work, but they had placed it online for sale without checking it, so I had to be the one to request that it be removed. The refund they gave me for the eBook setup was ridiculous compared to the $4k I had spent. Their answer? They had "already set the eBook up, so that cost had to be considered." (Seriously? Since when should anyone pay for products that don't work?)

After allowing the physical book to be published (and that was my fault), we continued to find mistakes and had to pull it from sales.

I've been in business for almost 20 years, and if I treated my clients this way I would wouldn't have a business. How Xulon continues with an A+ rating from the BBB is beyond me. There is no recourse with this company. It's all smoke and mirrors. They take the money, provide the least service they can provide to get by, and leave it at that.

The website states "Serving Him by Serving You." Really? I don't think mediocrity, rudeness and downright thievery is serving God's plan.

Av