XOJO / Is a scam website, xojo products are a scam, bug ridden software, and use your credit card for bogus charges.

1-5 Los Angeles, CA, United States Review updated:

I would just like to warn other people so they do not make the mistake i did and get scammed by xojo. I purchased xojo product because their website demos seemed like the product would work well for me. I found out later that xojo hired a slick roi marketing company to create their slick demos and websites (Not even really using xojo even though the website claims to). Their site is designed to lure unsuspecting people like me to buy their bug ridden xojo software. In short i tested the product in house and here are just a few from the long list of many bugs and issues i experienced: 1-the product has some serious security issues which will allow most hackers with basic hacking experience to gain access to anything you create with xojo. Xojo is easily hacked. Hackers even took down xojo's own website a few times (Along with all their customer's financial information like credit cards). Xojo (Back then they called it realbasic) website was easier hacked by a teenager (Which xojo refuses to admit and still places the blame elsewhere which is why bugs are rarely fixed. You can fix what you don't acknowledge). Http://www.Bkeeneybriefs.com/2013/04/real-software-website-hacked/. With all these issues.

2-also another serious flaw and bug in xojo is anything you create with it will require a lot more of your web server's memory and resources. This means as more simultaneous users access your website or things you create with xojo the slower your site and response time will get. In simply terms you will need to invest a lot more in hardware to handle many simultaneous users if you choose xojo products.

3 - when coding and debugging in xojo ide a whole lot of things that should work simply dont and if you contact xojo about it they will simply deny the bug exist or say we are aware that we have some bugs that needs to be fix and then a few years later guess what, its still not fixed. If you want to waste your valuable development time then use xojo. We stopped using xojo all together and found a much better product called foo basic.

4 - also about 2 weeks after i purchased the product on their xojo website i notice someone was making charges using my new bank visa debit credit card (And xojo is the only company i used this new card with). Maybe they have a criminal element on their staff? This isnt a company i would recommend you should trust with your credit card info or it project. They also keep releasing things (They call add-ons) that should be already included free and then try to charge your credit card for it. Bottom line is if you add up the cost to use xojo its going to be hundreds of dollars (With all the basic add-ons like database access) you need to purchase and a lot of frustration and wasted development time. I'm almost 100% certain they will try to reply to my complaint using one of slick marking companies to discredit me however if they simply admit their problems they can work on eliminating them and become a more trust worth company.

It
May 3, 2015

Comments

• Ge
      10th of Aug, 2015

I am the founder and CEO of Xojo, Inc. I came across this website while looking for issues with an artificial grass product and was just curious if anyone had ever complained about Xojo. First, let me say that I'm sorry this person had such a bad experience. We have thousands of users who use Xojo every day and are having very good experiences but no product is right for everyone. Let me address the complaint above:

1. "XOJO hired a slick ROI marketing company to create their slick demos and websites "
    No, we did not. All of our marketing is done in-house. We create all of our demos in house as well. Our website is not created with Xojo but Xojo is not meant for creating websites so that shouldn't surprise anyone. Xojo is an application development tool for creating apps for the desktop, the web and iOS. Our webstore is not a Xojo web app because it existed long before we added that capability and as much as we want to rewrite it in Xojo, that takes time and we have many other things we wish to do first. It will happen some day. However, we did create a nice example app you can try out yourself at http://www.eddieselectronics.com. They example project is available when you download Xojo at xojo.com as well.

2. "Their site is designed to lure unsuspecting people like me to buy their bug ridden XOJO software." - No software is bug-free. However, Xojo is free to use so you can create your software before you ever pay us a dime. When you reach the point where you want to build stand alone apps you can give to others, that's when you purchase a license. By then, you'd certainly know if there were any issues. I'm not suggesting people don't run into bugs. That happens with every tool. Even the operating systems themselves have bugs. However, we try our best to be diligent and address issues as quickly as we can. I think our release notes with each version reflect our dedication to quality. If you need more evidence, take a look at the case studies we have done on a wide variety of solutions our users have created in Xojo: http://www.xojo.com/community/casestudies/index.php

3. "the product has some serious security issues which will allow most hackers with basic hacking experience to gain access to anything you create with XOJO" - I would love to see some proof of this. Xojo compiles your code to machine code so hacking it is extraordinary difficult and is well beyond the expertise of even experienced hackers. When creating a web application in Xojo the resulting app is FAR more secure than anything you'd create with the standard tools (HTML, JavaScript, PHP, etc.). I invite the author of the above post to contact me with whatever proof he or she has.

4. "Hackers even took down XOJO's own website a few times (along with all their customer's financial information like credit cards)." - A few years ago, our website was indeed hacked via a security hole in a popular piece of open source software. However, we do not keep ANY data that is considered sensitive so the hacker, if he did in fact take any data, got nothing of use. We don't store and have NEVER stored customer credit card data in our database or on our web server.

5. "Also another serious flaw and bug in Xojo is anything you create with it will require a lot more of your web server's memory and resources." Web applications in Xojo can use more memory than ones created with HTML/JavaScript/PHP. However, memory is cheap, time is not. So if you can create a web app far more quickly but that app needs more RAM, this seems like a small price to pay. Because Xojo compiles to machine code, your code may execute significantly faster than it would in PHP as well. Last but certainly not least, developing a web app in HTML/JavaScript/CSS/AJAX/PHHP requires a LOT of time and expertise that few people have. Most web apps developed with these technologies require multiple developers because of all the different skills required. Building web apps is not only easier (since you don't have to learn all of that) but is also about 5X times faster for development. That's what our users who know the traditional web technologies tell us.

6. "When coding and debugging in XOJO ide a whole lot of things that should work simply dont and if you contact XOJO about it they will simply deny the bug exist or say we are aware that we have some bugs that needs to be fix and then a few years later guess what, its still not fixed. If you want to waste your valuable development time then use XOJO. We stopped using XOJO all together and found a much better product called Foo Basic. "
    Anyone visiting our support forum (http://forum.xojo.com) will see that we have thousands of users who productively use Xojo every day. Having said that, the best way to evaluate any product is to try it yourself. We don't deny bugs exist. In fact, we have a special app we have written in Xojo called Feedback that is dedicated to bug and feature tracking. If you look at the amount of communications that go on in Feedback about bugs and the great lengths we have gone to make bug tracking easy and efficient, you'd never believe anyone who says we deny bugs exist.

Notice he mentions Foo Basic. I do have to wonder if this complaint was actually written by someone working for Foo Basic. Perhaps not but who knows?

7. "Also about 2 weeks after I purchased the product on their Xojo website I notice someone was making charges using my new bank VISA debit credit card (and XOJO is the only company I used this new card with)" - We don't store your credit card nor do we take orders over the phone. So there's really just no way anyone at Xojo was responsible for your fraud. Credit card fraud is a BIG problem especially in the US. Once a month we get contacted by OUR credit card company because someone purchased Xojo from US with a stolen credit card. So we know it happens. However, there is just NO WAY the perpetrator got your card from us. Your card number is passed through an encrypted connection and is only in memory (never stored to disk) for a few milliseconds why it's transferred to our credit card processor the same exact way that just about every ecommerce site does it.

Again, Xojo is free to download an try out. You can use it for as long as you want until you are ready to deploy your apps. At that time you must purchase a license. However, even then we provide a 90 day money back guarantee. We do that because we want our customers to be sure they are getting their money's worth. Having said that, we get very few returns most probably because we provide Xojo for free to develop so users know it works before they ever purchase. You shouldn't take my word for it. Try it yourself at http://www.xojo.com.

• Ax
      8th of Mar, 2017

Stay away from this company. If xojo is such a great product one would think it would be a major programming language to use after all these years. Its not. Its not anywhere close to being ranked among the top 200 languages. If its great they would also not have to rebrand their product every so often in order to hide from the badness of their previous incarnations as realbasic and realstudio. They do not fix bugs - i am still waiting for bugs to be fixed for realbasic 4.0 - instead, they just drop support for the os and its never fixed. There are no lowered upgrade fees - you pay the full price each time. They ran a black friday sale on their product and then announced they would not longer being selling lowered priced upgrades - you instead pay the full price. If i had known that i would have not bought the product because i am no way going to pay them full price every time. ### company.

• Co
      29th of Oct, 2018

Xojo is full of interface bugs indeed, and they hardly put any effort into fixing it, which is incidentally where developers spend most of their time. However the software is free to use, you only pay if you wanna build your program. So you have ample time to test the IDE before shelling out your cash.