XM radio / Unethical billing - unauthorized continuation of service

1 CA, United States Review updated:

After the trial period for XM Radio in a new car expired I opted to pre-pay for one year of service. That service ended in Oct. 2008. In December I received an invoice for service post-dating that period. I called to let them know that I had not renewed my service and to have the bill canceled (the radio had already stopped receiving XM service). The three individuals I spoke with, including a "manager" stated that XM service automatically renewed. When I had originally signed up for the one year service plan over the phone I was not asked if I would want the service automatically renewed, nor was I notified that it would be. In addition, in the invoice I received covering the aut0-renewal, the monthly rate was increased 36%.

To top it off, when I called to complain about both the unauthorized auto-renewal and the increase in the fee, the people I spoke with were very uncooperative and boarder line combative. When I said that I had not seen anywhere in writing that the yearly plan I had pre-paid for would auto-renew, the manager challenged me to read to him over the phone every word of the billing and account information documents I had received from XM. The "manager" was not able to address either my questions or offer any solution other than for me to pay the disputed bill in question. He told me that someone who would be able to address the problem would call me back. It was by far the worst customer phone support experience I've had.

Jo

Comments

Ca
  13th of Feb, 2009

I just recieved a collection letter on behalf of XM radio. I had paid for a 4 month service and thought it would end when my pre-paid time was up. Turns out that's not the case, they auto renew withouth you knowing then send you to collections. I've tried speaking to 3 people with XM already and not only could I not understand them because they don't speak well but they were also uncooperative and combative and argumentative. Terrible customer service. I don't understand giving me service I didn't ask for or pay for and then bill me later. This is rediculous. There needs to be a class action lawsuit against this company for this crooked way of doing business and scamming people out of money. contact me if anyone knows of such a lawsuit. cantwait2b@gmail.com

St
  2nd of May, 2009

Now I have to start out by explaining that I work for Xm Radio. Now Im not agreeing with xm nor am I disagreeing with them. First off, people need to start learning that all companys are the same. U need to read ur customer agreements, even if the rep forgets to explain to you about the auto renewal, it clearly states in your cust. agreements that xm service is auto renewal. Even if you pay by the month or with Annual Plans. Now even though I work for them I dont agree with the off shore call centers. If your only going to offer service in the US and Canada then they do not need to go cheap and pay other countries to take calls. I was told by my Quality that even if the other call center rep kept offering to upsell the subscription plan or to sell the customer a radio and the customer hung up because they got tired of telling the rep no, it is still my job to sell the radios or be fired. I have worked in call centers b4 but the way Xm runs there business isnt right. All they are worried about is money and they dont know how to manage their money. We are suppose to offer radios on all calls even if sometime in the conversation that the customer says they do not wont anymore radios.

Eq
  3rd of Oct, 2010

My advice for anyone signing up for XM/Sirrius is to immediately after signing up calling their customer service department and request that the subscription not be renewed. Here is the most important part...Ask for a ticket number and write it down because they will still auto-renew your subscription and if you no longer want the service you can call them up with the ticket number and they will be forced to credit you. I like their programming but the auto-renewal policy of theirs upset me enough to label them as an unethical company.

Eq
  3rd of Oct, 2010

My advice for anyone signing up for xm is to immediately after signing up calling their customer service department and request that the subscription not be renewed. Here is the most important part...Ask for a ticket number and write it down because they will still auto-renew your subscription and if you no longer want the service you can call them up with the ticket number and they will be forced to credit you. I like their programming but the auto-renewal policy of theirs upset me enough to label them as an unethical company.