Xcel Energy / Unauthorized charges

I am one of the unfortunate millions that have become victimized by this huge monopoly called Xcel. These people are the absolute bottom of the barrel and the only game in town which is the attitude you encounter no matter who you have to talk to or how many times.

My ex left a huge past due amount when he ditched his family a few months ago. Even though I was never on the lease or the Xcel account, I am being harassed because I am the only one they can find. I was instructed by three different Xcel reps that all I needed to do was open an account in my name only, pay my bills on time, which I have, and they would pursue my ex for the past due amount. I did as I was told in opening a new account but Xcel has rolled my ex's past due - $500 + - into my account because he is nowhere to be found. Even though I have provided his new address and phone number, they continue to hound me. None of the other utilities my ex stiffed has done this - only Xcel. My guess is because I am paying for all the other ex's that ditch their families and all of the foreclosures that aren't paying their bills. Xcel is going after only those few they can actually find and harass. Where else are we going to go? It's not like we have a choice.

This isn't the first time Xcel has screwed with my billing and unless I can move, it probably won't be the last. Don't bother with filing a PUC complaint because they are a waste of time just like trying to find an intelligent person at Xcel is.

An

Comments

• Va
      24th of Nov, 2008

We are a military family and moved out of our condo and canceled service in June of 2008. We moved to Texas and placed our house on the market. The house did not sell until Oct. of 2008. It was sitting completely empty and unoccupied until it sold. Now Xcel is billing us $205.74 for services provided between June and Oct. I called to ask what the bill was about, and was told that since we had owned the condo we are responsible for paying the energy usage.

I replied that I should not be held accountable for the bill because I had specifically CANCELED the service! And it's not my fault that since Xcel did not turn the power off to the property it was still consuming energy. Their response is that they never turn the power off, they just take your name off of the bill. And since I did not turn the breakers off I'm responsible for the consumption.

I asked if they had something in writing stating that I'm responsible for turning off the breaker after canceling services to avoid getting charged. Their response was no. When I asked for all the information needed to contest this bill I was told to 'look online'. I said no that is unacceptable and asked that all the papers necessary to contest this bill be mailed to my current address. So I can document all communication.

I was speaking to Specialist Carmen employee # 6263.

I had also asked to speak with someone of higher authority who can help me with this issue. I was told by Carmen that they would have to call me back, so I gave her my number and had it reconfirmed twice. This all happened today so I'm still waiting for a response. I was told that they usually get back to me in the same day.

25th of Mar, 2009

• Ey
      11th of Nov, 2009

We are being billed twice for one xcel account! Our current apartment office claims that they are completing payment of the bill, which is added to our monthly rent balance. However, we received a mail bill today that states we owe them over four hundred dollars... This is absolutely unacceptable, and will not be tolerated. I have half a mind to contact my attorney in the morning, but will spend more hourly for his time than for the actual extra bill. My personal opinion on the matter, Xcel needs to sort their ### out and work FOR the people. This all feels eerily similar to the Enron fiasco, only on a smaller customer by customer basis.

• Sc
      28th of Oct, 2011

I had my ex do the same thing to me.now I'm stuck with no electricy for maybe a month.cause I owe them a 1000 dollars.excel is so screwed is mn get another big company come in and would have to compete with.cause I would be there customer.and NOT excel..