www.Wamu.com / Overdraft charges!

1 any, CA, United States Review updated:

I noticed a complaint about someone having direct deposit and being charged overdraft charges on the same day. This has been happening to0 me for a few years, and the way that the printout Ive asked for numerous times reads is practically impossible to figure out. Its partly my fault for not keeping my register up to date, but Ive caught this many times. Notices are sent out up to two weeks late when it is convenient for them. This is when most of these shady things need to be looked at. I, at this point in time have been charged over three thousand dollars this year. Ive had enough. When money has been taken out, without my permission, and caused overdraft charges, after putting the money back they haven't put the overdraft charges back. I know this doesn't seem like a very big deal but it causes a snow ball effect, hence the three grand taken from my account. They also have taken larger checks and put them in front of other smaller transactions in order to charge multiple overdraft charges instead of just one. I hope to hear from other people who are having these same or similar problems. If there are enough people we may have some sort of legal recourse. Also, they have taken money out of my social security, which I believe is illegal according to an article in a recent AARP magazine. If there is anyone that is having these same problems please let me know. This free checking is anything but free.

Comments

• Je
      2nd of Mar, 2009

I wrote a check on a Sunday in the amount of twelve dollars. I began to worry that I didn't have sufficient funds to cover it so I was there on Monday morning when the bank opened. I asked the teller to check my account to see if the check had cleared... was I overdrawn? She said no, I had fifteen dollars left in my account. I deposited twenty dollars to be on the safe side. Well, a few days later I got a statement of an overdraft charge of 33 dollars. A few days later it had gone up to 74 dollars, even though I had ceased all activity in that account.According to my personal conversation with the teller, I was NOT overdrawn in the first place! Listen, everyone, if you have your money in a bank, get it out: The only way they are going to get back the money that the crooks who run the banks have pissed away is from depositers. Find a local, reputable, well-run credit union and move your money there. Tell the bank you want your thirty-seven thousand dollars of bailout money back (that is the amount each and every person in the U.S. paid those crooks). Yes, sign me disgruntled former customer.