www.homegrown-hydroponics.com / Fraud, Poor Custormer Service, Broken merchandise

1 19141 Senaca Ave., Weston, FL, US Review updated:
Phone: 954-385-8931

Howard Birnbaum and www.homegrown-hydroponics.com took my money, shipped broken parts, wouldn't refund for broken/unusable merchandise, and refused to ship the bulk of my order. Owner Howard Birnbaum is also involved in spamming sites (has been reported to numerous online resources about this practice) to promote his products.

He has had so many complaints posted in the message section of his youtube videos that he continually has to repost the videos in an attempt to lure new customers. He has been involved in disputes with the South Florida Better Business Bureau over the numerous complaints received from unhappy customers.

Please shop around. Be very wary of doing business with Howard Birnbaum and www.homegrown-hydroponics.com

Comments

• Ho
      Oct 24, 2009

This is Howard Birnbaum of Homegrown Hydroponics and your allegations are false. What is your name and order number. Since you posted this on a public forum we will be happy to respond publically with your order details to make our case as you are lying and hurting our reputation.

Yes. We are in business, so we did except your money in exchange for a piece of equipment. Ok, all businesses do this. Shipping broken parts? Now why would we do that? We have a warehouse full of non-broken parts to ship our customers. We return parts that come to us broken DURING SHIPPING! We do not blame our distributor when we receive a broken light bulb because we know UPS damaged it and not Hydrofarm. This is common sense. We are not in the business of shipping broken parts. It makes no sense... We want our customers to be happy...

You say we did not ship your order? Are you asking me to post your tracking number here on this web site so the world reading this can track your package to and see that your statement is false. We do not take peoples money and not ship a product. That is a lie. We have a BBB rating of a B+ which pretty much goes against everything you are saying about us. We have sold close to 3000 units and had only 5 complaints of 3000 orders in 3 years. That's pretty good customer service wouldn't you say?

You say this in your statement:

"If the monetary value of losses others allege are correct, and if you including my own financial losses from Howard Birnbaum & www.homegrown-hydroponics.com, this individual has taken (stolen) thousands of dollars from people without any criminal prosecution."

Really? So we took you for thousands of dollars? Then sue us in court and tell your story to the judge and present your evidence. You are making baseless claims here and not backing it up with hard proof. If we somehow ripped you off and feel we should be tried in court then do it and tell your story to the judge. Remember the looser pays the legal bills...

What kind of case do you think you have against us anyway? We are a reputable company that works hard to keep the majority of our customers happy. Unfortunately sometimes things go wrong. It is impossible to have a 100% batting average.

We also have have competitors spread lies about us or customers who makes things up or blow them out of proportion from the truth to make a point anonymously on a public forum...

WE DO NOT OPERATE IN THE MANNER YOU DESCRIBE NOR DO WE RIP PEOPLE OFF AS YOU CLAIM!

• Ar
      Oct 27, 2009

HGH is good company...

• Ar
      Oct 27, 2009

Homegrown Hydroponics is a good company...

Oct 29, 2009

well i have to tell u im on the fence about this company here is my story and u can all make your own conclusions, i have recently placed an order with hgh, my ordernumber is 2980, prior to placeing the order i had what i considerd to be excellent service, i had a few inquiries and with in a day i got answers to my questions, so i decided to place my order, 3 emails came 1 telling me order was recived and a copy of invoice would be emailed upon reciving funds, it came i tracked the funds i sent and the responce was fast and as they said an email came with a photo of my postal money order coupled with a copy of an invoice, the 3rd email thanked me for my business and had [protected] attached telling me if i had any concerns to call, its been past the time the email says a tracking number would arrive to comfirm shipment, further i have sent an email a day to the company and have not recived any reply and have to say when i phoned the 1888 number it was in fact temporily out of service, i have not recived a single email from any one, when i phne [protected] the number rings and rings, now i cant say that there is even an issue its still kind early on in the order process but i have to say once my funds where recived i have had no contact direct or indirect what so ever which makes me feel un easy to say the least, inclosing if the person claming to be the owner of hgh is in fact the owner tell me im lying ive enclosed all info nothing to hide, have to say it does not look good but time tells all, is it a scam site it came recommended to me from a very close friend who has nothing but good things to say like i say im still on the fence, i can confirm that the better business rateing is 100 pecent accurate bplus, i will up date this as time goes on all i can say for sure is by small first do research on company prior to placing your order the internet is scary many people pray on us the consumer so i suggest buyer beware

• Sh
      Oct 30, 2009

i two have made a purchase with homegrown-hydroponics and its been quite a while since i have heard a thing from the company, been 11 weeks since they have had cash i got nothing what so ever its just as the blog ahead of me says great service till they got my cash they returned all emails answerd all quite fast as well, when i phoned there toll line omfg the message went staight to a full mail box that stated it was the week of january the 6th, well i phoned them 20 ins ago on october the 29th and wouldnt u know it the number is "temporily disconnected" home grown hydro is a scam im positve now and made a purchase with a company that had no complaints at all recived the tracking number 2 days after they recived my money HOMEGROWNHYDROPONICS IS A SCAMSCAM SCAM IM OUT!!!

Oct 30, 2009

update on order#2980 its been 11 days since hgh has had my funds, i stepped up the emails to 4 a day and 2 directly to the owner thru this system nothing !!still no contact with any one no return emails no answer on the phone numbers the 1888 number i called is in service today but like the blog ahead of me states the message says week of jan 6th thruthe 12th limited phone staff ect...i am glad i only placed a small part of my order 220.00 aprox is all i sent, now if howard has the time to responde to theses forms and i have visited them all, why not answer this one i tried to see if any thing has been shipped thru ups and have been told nothing exsist in there system inregadrs to my name or the address i provided hgh, i will not let this matter go un answerd, in the email i sent to hgh i explained the for medical reasons i have a licence to grow cannabais and gave him the perrmission to put my tracking number from ups on here since that scare tactic does not bother me, i live with stage 2 cancer and the cannibais helps me greatly with nausa and ofcoarse appitite, its not looking good all i have to say purhaps place an order with a company other than this one.ps my friend who recommeded the site has since tried to give me my funds back, upon closer inspection of the box he recived the parts well lets just say not so high quality all work however but some where supplied by the local wal mart, i have to say once again its not looking to positive all. will update u all again soon j

Oct 31, 2009

STILL NO REPLY WHAT SO EVER FROM HGH, I CONTACTED BBB YAHOO AND A FEW OTHER PLACES LOOK AT U TUBE ITS NOT GOOD ALL MANY PPL COMPLAIN, 17 EMAILS 5 TO THE OWNER AND STILL NOT A PEEP UPS HAS NOTHING IN SYSTEM FOR ME, GLAD I STARTED SMALL IS ALL I CAN SAY!!!IM STILL QUITE PISSED OFF THOUGH I WORK HARD FOR MY MONEY AND ITS SUX BEING SCAMMED IF THAT IS INDEED THE CASE !!!

Nov 01, 2009

wish i had better news still no contact with homegrownhydroponics !!!

• Bu
      Nov 14, 2009

Howard,
    Thank you for updating your post. Your company does indeed now have a B+ with the South Florida Better Business Bureau. Let me say that this is a step in the right direction. But it should be considered only a start.

I truly had a terrible experience, the worst online experience I've ever had, with your company. But since you are making attempts to improve your track record, I think you should credited for it.

• Hg
      Nov 23, 2009

Do not do any business with them. I am currently seeking legal action. They too havent responded to my claims and i am fed up with their lack of customer service. Their phone lines ring and no one answers. They too said my product was next in line to be shipped but they dont ship product. Don't waste your money and use another company. They never respond and have had my money since April. If Howard spend more time making and shipping units then he does on blogs he would have more repeat business.

• Gr
      Dec 04, 2009

This ### has almost 5K of my money & nothing - no calls, no e-mails. I have hired a local to shake this out. They found Howards home in a gated community (but that's OK). The business is no longer at the location stated. Word is they had been raided. (from neighbors).

We will find this bum...I will keep this blog posted with any news good or bad.

• Th
      Dec 07, 2009

I also placed an order on 11/2/09 and it has been a over a month with no reply. I have tried contacting them via email and by phone. Not happy with the customer service I have recieved especially given the money that has been collected up front. In the agreement it mentions that 1/3 will be charged as a deposit and then then rest will be charged later, the was not the case. I was charged the full amount. I hope that I will be contacted by someone in the next two-three weeks. If this is truely a scam I would like to organize those that have been scammed and present a formal complaint. I can be contacted at [protected]@yahoo.com.

• Bu
      Dec 09, 2009

A check of the better business bureau now shows that homegrown-hydroponics.com once again has an "F" rating. This is the second time they have been GRADED "F" BY THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU.

THIS COMPANY HAS A TERRIBLE TRACK RECORD.

They ripped me off and it appears they're still up to the same bad behavior. SHOP AROUND STAY COMPLETELY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY

• Th
      Dec 17, 2009

Well today when I called the number that was provided to call if you have questions or concerns [protected]) I got a message stating the number has been disconnected.

I am starting to fear the worst.

I am getting close to the 6-8 week mark when i should have the product I ordered but still nothing.

I strongly suggest that people stay away from this company.

• Cl
      Jan 06, 2010

This company is a rip-off!

They send cheap materials, WAY overprice it, refuse to answer emails, package poorly AND didn't even send the nutrients I paid for. They STILL, months later, will not answer thier emails or send the nutrients!

DON'T waste your money on these thieves "looks like a computer" grow box, or anything else they make either!

There are so many good companies out there, why suffer the aggravation I did by dealing with a dishonest one?

s.white

• Su
      Jan 22, 2010

This is Chris from Sunlight Solutions in NY. We are, of course, a competitor of homegrown-hydroponics and we have met Howard, sued him for stealing our content and claiming it as his own, and have an extremely poor opinion of him overall. We frequently get complaints from people who have been ripped off from him in the past, and have asked us for a break on an actual working system.

Rather than share that opinion in a full extent, we'll keep it short and throw this out there.

We're willing to offer a very extensive discount to anyone that was ripped off from him and wishing to purchase from us. We would require proof of previous payment to HGH, and if your willing to share that proof we'll basically ship you the equivalent style item of your choosing at 50% off. This is lower than our wholesalers, distributors, etc. and is below our costs. Basically, we feel for you and don't want your experience to spoil your thoughts on grow box manufacturers on the whole. For the past few days we've noticed their website was completely offline, along with phone and email. We've received a few calls asking if we know how to get a hold of them, and we do not. We ran across this comment forum after doing a search to see what the current situation with them was.

To make a request for the above offer contact me directly at [protected]@sunlightsheds.com

take care

Mar 01, 2010

well this is j???? i have been ripped off i did however recive an email saying that hgh is a small company and please bear with us in november i have since answerd aprox 35 emails from other people who have orderd or were going to order run from hgh its a total scam!!!i orderd a remote ballest and bulb and got nothing 5 months holy people stay clear order number 2980