www.FreeGasRedemption.com / Deceptive promotion!

1 FL, United States Review updated:

My local toyota dealer in NJ is offering a free $500 gas coupon if you test drive a new car. Besides the bullying to get you to buy a car, they will practically throw the coupon in your face once you test drive a car but don't buy one. The rebate program is "almost" a scam. You are required to buy $100 in gas every month, mail in the receipts, and then you receive a $25 gas card that month. That means you need to be using $125 in gas per month. For the $500 gas rebate that would mean that I have to submit monthly gas receipts for 20 months. ($25 x 20= $500) But, I don't drive that much. Why should I have to spend $100 e/month for 20 months just to get this rebate???

This may be a real promo but it still stinks.

Comments

• Jm
      29th of Mar, 2008

I wish I read your complaint before I went to the same toyota dealer in NJ! However I did not know the name of the company sponsoring the rebate until I went thru the same bullying process. i tried to get them to tell me the rules of the rebate before I went for the test drive and all they would say was, you have to read the rules., we don't sponsor the program.i called and spoke to someone who told me to ask for Dennis when I arrived. 'Dennis apparently is the "internet/phone appointment guy". they assign you a sales rep who is basically a nice guy who tells one sided stories. To make a long story short the ad on the radio was to drive a Prius. I get there and "they have NO Prius'" Then when I tried to leave, oh one used 2008 just came in yesterday as a turned in lease'
    i drove it, they tried to sell me 2 cars I couldn't afford . They told me they were "out of vouchers and they were expecting more tomorrow and the sales guy would send me one. After I didn't qualify for the purchase of the car and I was leaving and "filling out their "survey" one of the mangers did the same thing and kind of flipped me the certificate ( Which apparently they DID have) telling me they were "almost" out and were "saving a few in the back"
    The n when I read the rules after I got home I almost FLIPPED!. I think I will report the Autodealership for misleading advertising, and I am going to investigate and report this stupid 'Gas redemption" company operated out of Florida but created and owned by a guy named James Patrick Owen out of Laguna California for disabled his professional profile on LinkedIn.com.

• Ba
      5th of May, 2008

Yes, this $500. gas redemption card was the deciding factor is hagling with the Hyundai delearship in bradenton, Fl.
    We were within $400. of my Accept price when he offered me the card... I read it and believed that it was legitimate ... and bought the car..
    I certainly believe that it is false advertising.

• Jh
      7th of May, 2008

I am currently in my 6th month of the redemption process with this Freegasredemption.com and I have no complaints. I simply send in my $100 in recpts. and they send me back a $25 gas card. As far as my dealership was concerned they were very up front with the process and still gave me the certificate after i bought my car. Free gas for the price of a stamp and envelope... GREAT, GREAT, GREAT.
    As for the person above maybe you should blame the dealership for bad business practice, but i would still try to get your free gas. Or send me your certificate and i will use it...

• Ms
      7th of May, 2008

I as well am in my 8th month into the promotion and love it. My son who is in college loves the fact that I send him my $25 gas card every month. It helps him out with these outrageous gas prices we are seeing across the nation. I agree with the above post that it sounds like you are misdirecting your anger towards the wrong people. My dealership was very courteous and professional and explained the whole process to me from the beginning. Once I got home I did have a few questions and called the customer service line on the front of the certificate and they were very present as well.

• Jm
      8th of May, 2008

I misread/misunderstood the information on James Patrick Owens old disabled Linkedin profile. It seems he was only marketing the $500.00 Free Gas Card and he did not create or own the company.
    His profile states:

Regional Dealership Relations & Sales
    Free Gas Redemption
    (Privately Held; 1-10 employees; Marketing and Advertising industry)

November 2007 — Present (7 months)
    Working as Free Gas Redemption (www.freegasredemption.com) we are marketing $500 Free Gas Certificates to the Automotive Industry.

Then at the bottom of his profile it said "my website" with a link to Freegasredemption.com

• Je
      14th of May, 2008

I am a large auto dealership with 5 locations in the West Virginia region. I would tend to agree with the previous posts in that it sounds like your complaint should be with the dealership for treating you badly, not with the redemption firm. I have personally used them for 3 months now and have not received a single complaint from one of my customers as we direct all questions and concerns to their customer service line. We have given out probably 500 certificates overall. Maybe you should think about buying your next vehicle from a reputible dealership.

• Cr
      6th of Jun, 2008

I am into my 4th month with the same promo. I have had nothing but problems getting my gift cards. I have called, emailed, whinned, and talked to the so called owner and have only seen 2 $25 dollars gift cards. It has been hell trying to collect what they promised. I am learning that all of the world has the same gig going. Any rebate or so called Free gift is not worth the hassle. I spend way too much time trying to get these so called free/rebates/gifts that I should just go get a part time job @ 10 bucks an hour and pay full price with no hassles it would come out even. I spend that much of my time fighting with all of them. Right now I my recent promo "Free Vacation" with Spirit Incentives. They are running me through the numerous tricks so that I might just get their promised prize. I believe they make it so hard for you that you just give up. Obviously they are getting more than they are giving. I wonder what the percentage of recipients actually just get fed up with the program and give up? I won't be falling for the rebates or free crap promo's again. I have enough headaches already.

• Na
      14th of Jun, 2008

I sent in my certificate & $5.00 on 2/12/18. It is now 6/14/08, and I have yet to receive any contact, or forms to pick a station. Looks like they'll be keeping my $5.00... :o{

19th of Jun, 2008

I had one issue when I was trying to get my stuff redeemed but they fixed it when I called. It seems like a good promo. I am about 10 months into it with no major issues.

• Ag
      28th of Jun, 2008

I received my certificate for $500 in free gas in Oct. 2007. I didn't receive any $25 gas cards until some time in March 2008. After calling a customer rep, she told me that she would send me 2 $25 gas cards. I received only one. A few months later I hadn't received a gas card even after sending in my gas receipts, I decided to call again. She told me she'd send me 3 & 3 is what I received. I guess after I send in my $100 gas receipts every month I will have to call a rep to let them know that I haven't received my gas card. They still owe me 3 gas cards before we're even again. If a dealership is offering this promo, just say NO! It's not worth your time & sanity.

• Bi
      10th of Jul, 2008

I did this 5 months ago. I get the cards ok (accept the first one). I called customer service one time in the beginning, and got a live person who helped. The dealership is a small town one and are straight up and nice. I would recommend the dealership to anyone! Too bad you all live all over the place! As fo teh guy who doesn't drive much, that is on the dealer who should have told you, or you should have read the coupon that clearly states it (at least mine did).

27th of Sep, 2008

Why did you go to the dealership in the first place? Because your a cheap tight-wad self thought you were getting something for FREE...Wake up, nothing in this world is truely FREE. Spend a little money then get something for FREE, their game their rule, play by them or shut up!!! It's FREE!!!

• Ow
      9th of Oct, 2008

This is a very decievin g promotion in that first you must buy $100 per month to get a $25.00 gas coupon or other merchandise first mentioned after you have signed in. I hope the ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE UNITED STATES AND EACH INDIVIDUAL STATE WILL PROSECUTE THIS DECEPTION.

11th of Oct, 2008

two of the largest tire dealers in America, Tire Kingdom and
    Big O Tires are offering these gas rebate programs ($500
    vouchers)-----this will be interesting as thousands of
    retail customers will be attracted to this promo--------My first experience as a broker with 40 years experience in the
    tire industry with a good, honest reputation had to redeem
    several retail customers out of my own pocket-------------
    This program that I used to my total embarrassment was
    through "Grand Incentives of Sarasota, Fl.)--------I will formally file a complaint with the FTC next month---------these people
    are making a fortune with this "scam" and the federal govt
    should step in immediately----------------Please alert the
    "innocent" public

www.freegasredemption.com

Calls to their #:
    888 828-5266

Result in:
    "We're sorry for the inconvienience, but there is an unusually high number of callers (DUH), Please try your call again in the next 10 to 15 minutes" Then they hang up!

Anyone have a direct # ?

• La
      13th of Oct, 2008

Ok!
    Never got thru, but solved my own problem.
    The link on the certificate was misleading.
    It had:
    for some reason the www wasn't resolving.
    When I just typed in:
    I got to the form.

I will check back once I'm able to submit my receipts.
    Hopefully this isn't as much of a scam as it sounds.

15th of Oct, 2008

Yes, I too went to Tire Kingdom and bought the "deal" that if I purcahsed 4 tires I would recoup all my money spent on the tires by receiving $500 in free gas. Did I beleive it? Not really, but then it was
    not explained correctly, I just fell for the HUGE SIGN OUTSIDE TIRE KINGDOM which was of course
    a "come on". I fell for it until I read the teensy weensy information on how to redeem this freebie.

I do not spend $100.00 in gas each month and if I did it would still take me 2 years to collect all my
    $25 gift certificates. I mean, really how do these theives get away with this crap? Now I read on other complaints that some of you can't even get your first certificate after following the rules to the letter.
    How about that you cannot even talk to a customer service rep?

Tell Tire Kingdom they lost a good customer and I am going to tell everyone that they are involved
    in a Huge Scam. Shame on you Tire Kingdom I thought you were a legitimate reputable place of business. I hope this economy bites you in the butt.

23rd of Oct, 2008

I just wanted to add something to my previous complaint--
    the same company, Freebee Gas on Walsingham Ave. in
    Largo, Florida quoted me, through a broker-----4 dollars
    (my cost) for a $100.00 gas voucher-----5 dollars for a
    $300.00 gas voucher and 7 dollars for a $500.00 gas
    voucher ----If this isn't a scam, you must believe in the
    tooth fairy-----------and I'm not some nut just complaining---
    Google "Don Dominguez" on your computer and you
    will find that I have many years in the tire industry
    and known nationwide--------I have already notified many
    good tire dealers across the country relating to this scam,
    which the FTC is now investigating-------call me if
    you have had a bad experience with this program---I will
    forward your name to the FTC with a long list of others-----
    Don Dominguez 727-860-4327

• Ro
      27th of Oct, 2008

I agree this is a scam. We were seriously looking at cars to try to save gas. The dealership in Mn had an ad for a new car with 0 down and a low finance rate.
    When we test drove the car and got down to talking money..we decided we would be better off to wait a while.for financial reasons. after a little bit of hassle we did get info and form to send in to free gas redemtion.
    when we sent in reciepts we sent them certified as we were instructed to do each time (cost is 3.05 for postage) got one gas card back and then nothing after 2 more months. I complained and they sent a $25 debit card. since then nothing. and they are now unreachable on the phone, , just recording that says theyre busy and then hangs up on you. after 8 months of screwing around with this i am ready to just call it quits but i wont because i think that is what they count on.

29th of Oct, 2008

I have just discovered that this very same company has
    another web-site called www.gas redemption.com----
    this is the same as freebee gas-------------I wonder how many
    web-sites they are associated with??? "Buyer beware"
    Just filling out the necessary forms to send to
    Charles Bronson----Florida Commissioner of Consumer
    Affairs----------His department assured me "fast action"
    in this obvious scam!!!
    Grand Incentives, Sarasota, Florida is also a culprit in this
    deceptive "free gas" voucher program.
    Please, please call me if you have been a victim of this
    fraudulent program------727-860-4327