WSC / Fraud

1 Jacksonville, FL, United States

A young man approached me when I was coming out of Wal-Mart. He gave me a spiel about being in college, working for a particular prize, etc. He had the paperwork, the list of magazines, the prices, how many points he would earn for what magazines subscriptions. I had my baby and a cart full of bags so I was trying to do several things at once, I wrote him a check thinking that was better than giving him cash and I made the check payable to WSC (which I was told stood for WorldWide Subscription Corp) and put "Us Weekly" in the memo line. Within a week, the check was cashed, but two months later I have received no issues, US Weekly has no record of my subscription, and I can't even find anything online similar to that company name to check into it. The most frustrating thing? My bank told me they can't do anything because I wrote the check and signed it. I have a copy of the cleared check, I know what bank it was cashed at and the account number it was deposited into, but that info does me no good because apparently I can't do anything with it.